Durable Solutions Manager
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
About the job
DRC in the Middle East hosts the Durable Solutions Platform (DSP), which is a joint initiative of Action Against Hunger (AAH), DRC, the International Rescue Committee (IRC), theNorwegian Refugee Council (NRC), Oxfam and Save the Children The platform was established to gather evidence for programming and advocacy to achieve durable solutions for Syrian refugees and IDPs. DSP conducts research to stimulate strategic discussion on eventual return and reintegration of refugees and IDPs to their areas of origin. Furthermore, DSP research supports the development of long-term programming and advocacy strategies to improve self-reliance of refugees in countries of first asylum. Finally, DSP analysis strengthens advocacy to improve access to resettlement and complementary pathways. In addition to research, activities of the DSP include regular learning events on durable solutions approaches. DSP also coordinates a network of Syrian civil society organizations in the region and convenes regular meetings and workshops to support the development of coordinated advocacy strategies on durable solutions.
The Manager is expected to represent the platform in discussions on solutions for the Syrians in and outside of Syria; management of the DSP- grants and management of Platform staff; coordinate closely with partner agencies and other agencies. S/he will provide overall implementation and strategic direction of the Platform activities, taking the lead in developing and coordinating of research on solutions programming and policy, capacity development and learning across Lebanon, Turkey, Jordan and Syria and represent the platform in relevant fora, as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Lead in the development and implementation of the platform’s overall strategy and of DSP’s advocacy strategy and plans
· Lead the analysis of regional durable solutions data, strategies, policies and legislation, and production and dissemination of the information in relevant format and fora
· Lead in the regular assessment and review of the Platform’s action and implementation plans ensuring that DSP maintains a strategic role
· Translate evidence and research into programing and policies guidance
· Support development of learning tools and the roll-out of the technical policy and programming training packages
· Oversee the development and publication of key briefing papers and policy briefs based on evidence
· Ensure internal information sharing and coordination among DSP members
· Lead in sharing information, legislation, policies and conventions, reports, best practice experiences, and working methods available in the region with relevant stakeholders and interested parties
· Manage existing and future grants including budget responsibility, workplan, monitoring of implementation and, reporting
· Management oversight to the DSP research and knowledge management agenda including initiating studies and developing processes to monitor uptake to improve Solutions programing and policies
· Responsible for quality control of DSP publications
· Commission review and evaluation of DSP and integrate lessons learnt into the programme planning and implementation
· Identify funding opportunities and build donor relations in coordination with the Advisory Group and Steering Committee
· Accountable for people management of direct reports. This includes hiring & firing, objective setting, probation, performance appraisal, development of staff, managing performance, including poor performance, etc.
Manage DSP consultants
· Organize regular Advisory Group and Steering Committee meetings
· Maintain and monitor the Platform’s risk matrix and escalate to the appropriate body in a timely manner
· Engage with relevant stakeholders to facilitate discussions based on evidence
· Facilitate and organize regular consultation/technical workshops and learning events/meetings on key issues of interest to DSP
· Support existing forums and members in their advocacy with governmental and inter-governmental actors on durable solutions.
· Ensure continued engagement with key players on displacement and Solutions in the region including regional and national authorities, UN agencies, humanitarian and development donors, relevant working groups
· Organize learning events/ think space – in coordination with key stakeholders
· Proactive engagement in policy development processes as it relates to durable solutions for refugees and IDPs from and in Syria
Experience and technical competencies:
· Understanding of the regional displacement dynamics
· At least 5 years' experience in relevant field; at least 3 years' experience with people management
· Proven experience in budget oversight and montitoring
· Proven experience in leading and conducting research
· Solid experience in capacity development of a wide range of actors including adult learning, mentoring and coaching, training of trainers and impact monitoring of capacity development activities
· Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization
· Excellent analytical and writing skills with proven experience in producing high quality research and policy briefs with ability to present complex information in a simple and accessible manner
· Strong experience in translating evidence and research into programming and policy guidance
· Excellent coordination and networking skills
· Inter-personal facilitation and communication skills to build trusted relationships with a wide array of humanitarian and development partners, donors, government agencies, etc
· Flexibility, proactive engagement, ability to work under pressure and to demonstrate high tolerance for change, complexity and unpredictability
· Excellent understanding of displacement and durable solutions issues and detailed knowledge of humanitarian principles, guidelines and laws and the humanitarian coordination systems
· Proven experience working on displacement, durable solutions or early recovery issues in humanitarian environments, including provision of technical advice or research and policy analysis.
· A keen understanding of political complexities in the Middle East region
· Advanced university degree or equivalent in political science, international relations, humanitarian law, migration, Middle East studies, or related field
· English (fluent)
· Arabic (desirable)
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
· Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
· Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
· Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
· Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
· Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Contract length: One year contract
Band: F – Management
Location: Amman, Jordan
Start date: June 01, 2021
How to apply:
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Closing date for applications: May 09, 2021
Need further information?
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.org
Apply to Job