Research Assistant, Africa Center - RESEA01705-00001
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Who We Are
Peace is our commitment. The United States Institute of Peace represents the American people’s shared values and commitment to peace around the world. We know that Peace is Security – it advances both U.S. and international security by preventing, managing, and mitigating violent conflict.
We are an independent, non-partisan institution and are actively engaged with peacebuilding efforts around the world. Together we tackle the toughest problems and hold fast to the possibility of a more peaceful world. (To learn more about USIP programs and job openings, go to https://www.usip.org/about/careers.
If you have a passion for making the world a better place and want to have a front-row seat on the world stage, USIP is the place for you.
The Research Assistant will provide research and support to the Vice President of the Africa Center on diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) initiatives.
- Pay: $15.00-$15.75/hour
- Work schedule: 20 Hours/Week Expected
- Start Date: May 2021
- Supports and conducts research and writing on diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) and its intersections with peacebuilding as directed by the Vice President of the Africa Center;
- Provide support for virtual and in-person (when possible) events on DEI and peacebuilding, including setting up virtual meetings, reserving rooms, developing invitations, monitoring RSVPs, ordering food and supplies, arranging room set-up, and serving as the primary point-of-contact for attendees;
- Develops promotional and informative descriptions of events for internal USIP staff members and external guests;
- Drafts, edits, and updates program informational items for internal USIP staff members and external guests (e.g., web content, project pages, special reports, fact sheets, etc.);
- Participates in the strategic planning and work plan development for the Africa Center more broadly;
- Participates in regular Africa Center meetings andUSIP’s internal conversations related to DEI as necessary;
- Monitors ongoing developments and innovations in DEI and its intersections with peacebuilding; and
- Completes special assignments as needed.
- Master’s degree (in-progress) required. Ph.D. (in-progress) strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with the literature and/or practice around diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
- Knowledge of peacebuilding, conflict resolution, or security fields preferred.
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Experience living and working overseas or other cross-cultural communication experience.
- Proficiency in French and/or Arabic preferred, but not required.
- Working knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications, including a basic understanding of necessary budget and accounting procedures.
- Must be a full-time university student in the United States.
USIP's Research Assistant program is administered through the Consortium of Universities in the Washington Metropolitan area. Any full-time university student in the Washington area is eligible for these openings.
All USIP contract and employee positions are contingent upon the favorable completion of a suitability background investigation.
Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this position, please submit a complete application package consisting of:
- Cover letter
- A brief writing sample demonstrating your research and writing ability
For questions about this position please email email@example.com. Do not send resumes or attachments to this email address.
Only those applicants that are selected for further discussions will be contacted.
No Phone Calls. Interviews will be scheduled by appointment only.
USIP is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy and practice of USIP to offer equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, political affiliations or belief, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to apply:
To apply for this position, please use the following URL:
Apply to Job