Public Information Officer
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Position Title : Public Information Officer
Duty Station : Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 27 April 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People's Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission (DCoM) and in close coordination with the Programme Support Unit (PSU) of International Organization for Migration (IOM) Cox’s Bazar, the Senior Media Communications Officer at the IOM Regional Office (RO) in Bangkok, Media and Communications Division (MCD) colleagues in Headquarters (HQ) as when needed—the successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the Country Office (CO) with donor visibility as well as the management and implementation of internal and external communication and media-related activities for IOM in Cox’s Bazar.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Advise the DCoM, media focal points and other staff in the country on media, public information, event management, visibility and communication issues.
Prepare, edit and disseminate public information material and reports including press releases, op-eds, videos, feature stories, infographics, factsheets, newsletters, brochures within the Cox’s Bazar response, to other IOM Country Offices (COs), HQ, and to external sources, including donors, United Nations (UN) agencies, government counterparts and other interested stakeholders.
Review, rewrite and edit media reports, situation reports, and other documents prepared by various units for internal and external distribution, and provide editorial advice as required.
Prepare regular internal situation reports and reports for other relevant units in HQ as requested.
Develop and implement the visibility strategy for IOM Cox’s Bazar to streamline branding with IOM brand guidelines and work with programme managers and PSU to meet donor requirements.
Provide strategic content and other information inputs in relation to the visibility of IOM and its work in Cox’s Bazar.
Liaise with relevant units to regularly update documents, such as: newsletters, periodic reports, information sheets, brochures, PowerPoint presentations and other written reports and materials on IOM programmes and events.
Write timely and engaging content and ensure the regular update of communication platforms including the response website and social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
Ensure the inclusion of appropriate gender awareness in all IOM Cox’s Bazar communications.
Provide advice and guidance to field and programme staff on public information issues.
Strengthen IOM’s links with media, partners and government counterparts on community activities, events and human interest and migration stories.
Represent IOM at key CO events and workshops and undertake duty travel to field missions in order to acquire material, including photographs, videos and stories of work being undertaken by the field, that would promote IOM among donors and governments.
Ensure all multimedia materials used in the public domain have the necessary consent forms on file, including digital consent forms through the use of the Community Response Application.
Build and maintain internal public information and multimedia capacities.
Assess and keep abreast of local and international media and news, advise management of any relevant publication concerning migration or the response, and coordinate the formulation of IOM’s related media position.
Substantively participate in the Inter-Sector Coordination Group (ISCG) Communications Group.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Media Communications, Journalism or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Demonstrated work experience, particularly writing and editing, preferably in international journalism and public information;
• Familiarity with international organizations and UN agencies;
• Experience in writing and editing informational materials and reports;
• Experience in operational activities in post-crisis or emergency areas;
• Experience in the region is an advantage.
• Demonstrated high competency as a writer and an editor in English.
• Knowledge of graphic design, web, social media and video production.
• Computer skills and proficient knowledge of Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, SharePoint, PowerPoint) and other design software is essential.
• Superior report writing skills.
• Proven organizational and editorial skills.
• Excellent communication and writing skills with the ability to analyses complex problems and identify and convey clear, rapid solutions.
• Effective general analytical skills.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French, Spanish, Bangla and/or Rohingya is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 27 April 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 14.04.2021 to 27.04.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2021 91 Public Information Officer (P3) Cox's Bazaar, Bangladesh (56939553) Released
Posting: Posting NC56939554 (56939554) Released
Apply to Job