Project Officer, Schools2030
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
About the Aga Khan Foundation
The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF), an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), was established by His Highness the Aga Khan in 1967. AKF is a private, not-for-profit international development agency that seeks to provide long-term solutions to society’s problems. AKF brings together human, financial, and technical resources to address challenges faced by the poorest and most marginalized communities in the world. AKF has a special focus on investing in human potential, expanding opportunity, and improving the overall quality of life, especially for women and girls. AKF’s primary areas of focus are; Education; Early Childhood Development (ECD); Health and Nutrition; Civil Society; Agriculture and Food Security; and Economic Inclusion.
AKF, in partnership with a global consortium of private foundations, is co-launching Schools2030, a 10-year (2020-2030) learning improvement programme. The ten-year initiative is a participatory action research and learning improvement programme in 1000 government schools across the ten countries. Using the principles of Human-Centred Design (HCD) and focusing on the key transition years of ages 5, 8 and 14, Schools2030 seeks to catalyze locally rooted education solutions that can inform systems-level approaches for improving holistic learning outcomes. In Uganda, AKF will partner with 100 school sites to drive classroom level innovation to enable teacher generated solutions to identify and inform ‘what works in education’ for Uganda.
Purpose of the position
AKF is seeking a dynamic, enthusiastic, and self-motivated individual to lead the direct delivery of AKF’s education work, including Schools2030 activities, in Uganda. Working under the direct supervision of the National Coordinator, Schools2030 the Project Officer will be responsible for the direct delivery and support to schools, contributing to developing positive partnerships with government and non-government stakeholders, and effectively communicating AKF Education and Schools2030. This role will also engage with the Country and Regional Education Teams, the Regional Education and ECD Advisor, and the broader global Schools2030 team. The Project Officer, reports to the National Coordinator, Schools2030
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the direct delivery of Schools2030 activities with partner pioneer schools and youth partners.
- Activity areas include, but not limited to, school and teacher support, delivering design processes with teachers, school-level data management and use by schools and teachers, school networking, and partnership with local government and Civil Society Organisations
- Collaborate on the development of education programme work plans and budgets.
- Ensure activity reports and financial accountabilities are submitted and contribute to project reporting where needed.
- Ensure all funds are fully accounted for and liquidation is done on time to enable timely reporting.
- Ensure all delivery and processes comply and promote AKF’s gender and social inclusion and child and community safeguarding policies.
- Be an ambassador of the Education Improvement Programme at the district level.
- Engage and coordinate principal partners and stakeholders at the district level to ensure collaborative delivery of project activities.
- Work with education actors to strengthen the education ecosystem connections and networks at the district level.
- Lead on the effective collection and management of data at the school level
- Ensure project learning is effectively communicated through the internal and external feedback loops and that principal partners have access to and understand the learning.
- Effectively engage in internal AKF learning opportunities to develop a professional and technical understanding of education and Human-Centred Design.
- The document, synthesize and share lessons learnt and best practices through design journey, case stories, and learning pieces considering progress made in addressing persistent challenges to enhance learning and scalability of the classroom solutions.
Required Qualification, Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- BA in Education, Social Sciences, Development Studies or related field.
- Proven experience of working in social programming with a minimum of 3 years relevant experience working in education programming, international development, and design thinking
- Strong and practical understanding of the essential design thinking skills and mindsets.
- Experience collaborating with government and non-government partners as well as schools, children, teachers, and young people.
- Strong understanding of the Uganda education system and emerging technologies in the education and development sector.
Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation for education programmes with experience in designing data collection tools, data collection methods, analysis and report writing.
Experience in working independently, under high pressure and fast-moving conditions.
Strong ICT skills, experience in Microsoft office package and emerging new software including Online and offline applications.
Excellent community mobilization, facilitation and team-building skills.
Strong accountability, inter-personal skills and working collaboratively with the internal project team and non-project partners.
Excellent communication skills in English and the local language
Strong team player, creative and problem-solving skill.
How to apply:
Candidates interested in this unique career opportunity with AKF should submit a two-page cover letter and a maximum three-page CV including the names and contact information of three professional referees by 4:30pm on the 29th April 2021.
Click on the link to apply: www.akdn.org/careers
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
“AKF Is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is Committed to Safeguarding and Promoting the Welfare of Children and Vulnerable Adults and Expects all Staff and Partners to Share this Commitment.”
The Aga Khan Foundation is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (www.akdn.org)
Apply to Job