Programme Policy Officer – Cash based Transfers
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Since 1979, WFP has provided support to the Cambodian people to meet their emergency needs and enhance the long-term food and nutrition security of vulnerable households and communities. Across Cambodia, WFP has supported the building and rehabilitation of rural infrastructure and productive assets, implemented programmes to improve maternal and child nutrition, provided nutrition care and support for people living in HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis, supported humanitarian coordination and assisted disaster-affected households, and promoted social assistance through its school meals programme and scholarships to children from poor households.
The current WFP Country Strategic Plan (2019-2023) in Cambodia aims to complement and contribute to the Royal Government of Cambodia’s (RGC) efforts to achieve zero hunger through supporting school based programmes, strengthening resilient local food systems, enhancing government capacities on emergency preparedness and response and enhancing food security, nutrition and social protection governance. Central to its Cambodia programme, WFP has been working with the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport (MoEYS) to implement school feeding since 1999 through the provision of hot, nutritious meals in schools and cash/food scholarships to vulnerable primary and pre-primary school children. From 1999 to 2021, this social assistance programme has benefited over two million school children with much work already done to transition school feeding to a nationally managed and funded programme from 2025.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF ASSIGNMENT:
This position will report to the Programme Policy Officer (SO Lead) and work closely across all areas of CBT operations (supply chain, ICT, finance and field operations) as well as contributing to WFP’s social protection portfolio.
JOB TITLE: Programme Policy Officer – Cash based Transfers
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Consultant/Regular (CST Level I)
UNIT/DIVISION: RBB, Cambodia
DUTY STATION: WFP Country Office
DURATION: 11 months (starting ASAP)
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES (not all-inclusive, nor exhaustive):
· Coordinate WFP’s implementation of CBT emergency response/recovery programme in line with corporate Business Process Models and other relevant guidance.
· Work across relevant units to develop, update and ensure CBT Standard Operating procedures (SOP) are aligned with corporate manuals and guidelines; and develop implementation strategy and workplan for CBT operations.
· Provide technical guidance or mobilize technical expertise, on cash-based transfer/social protection program design, delivery, and quality assurance. This includes a wide range of programme and policy issues such as assessment and analysis, intervention design and purpose, activities, cash disbursement mechanisms, and transition of modalities, monitoring, as well as amendments to programme implementation as and when required.
· Provide guidance and technical support to the development and management of WFP’s beneficiary management systems related to CBT.
· Lead the incorporation of gender and protection in all areas of work and ensure that accountability to affected populations is central to emergency programme design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
· Support oversight and/or evaluation missions and ensure that the recommendations from the mission/s are duly implemented in the country office, and related documents and processes are regularly updated and aligned with the corporate policies with support from regional and HQ cross functional teams.
· Strengthen the capacities of the WFP CBT working group at national and sub-national level, partners and government in CBT delivery and assurance; with the aim of equipping relevant units with the tools to lead on the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
· Coordinate with relevant ministries/national stakeholders to provide technical assistance to government and other partners in the planning, formulation, and implementation process to strengthen government and community ownership and effectiveness of existing CBT interventions and pave the way for future efforts in social protection programmes.
· Support WFP’s engagement and leadership in different fora such as the Humanitarian Response Forum, Cash Working Group, and other related fora on cash-based transfers and social assistance.
· Ensure accountability and assurance to donors to WFP’s CBT operations – including reporting, proposal development and updates/briefs.
· Document best practices and lessons learned for the CO and manage operational research and evidence building on issues relevant to CBT and social protection programmes for learning and improving operations.
· Support the development of programme guidelines and tools for cash-based transfers and social protection incorporating field experience and lessons learned.
· Other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· Advanced University degree in Social Sciences, International Development, Economics, Business Administration, Development Studies, Statistics, or other fields relevant to International development assistance
· At least 5 years of relevant post graduate national and/or international experience with exclusive strategic and operational knowledge and experience on Cash Based Transfers, Social Protection/Government advisory, Digital Assistance sector.
· Knowledge of WFP procedures with regard to data and beneficiary information and transfer management throughout the CBT cycle is desirable.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
· Technical skills and experience in designing and implementing cash-based transfers, preferably in emergency contexts.
· Excellent written and oral communications and presentation/facilitation skills.
· Excellent understanding of national and UN institutional frameworks, including financial management frameworks.
· Knowledge of the UN operational programmes, while WFP programmatic and partnership experience is preferred.
· Operational experience with social protection systems, including liaising with governments and supporting the design/implementation of social protection programmes
· Working knowledge of banking/financial instruments and linkages to cash transfers, social protection and financial inclusion
· Strong analytical and negotiation skills.
· Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with counterparts and staff in the office, partners, donors, other cash and vouchers actors, UN agencies, and others.
· Ability to work in a multi-cultural team and establish an effective working relationship with persons of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Excellent command of English (oral and written)
How to apply:
HOW TO APPLY
· Create an account on the WFP Career Website: http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings
· Under Filter By “Country”, type “Cambodia” and select the position you want to apply to.
DEADLINE OF APPLICATION
· The vacancy will be closed on Tuesday, 11th May 2021 at 17:00 GMT+7
Female applicants, individuals with disabilities, and those from developing countries, are encouraged to apply.
WFP is committed to an inclusive working environment which values diversity
and has zero tolerance for discrimination, harassment and abuse of any kind.
Apply to Job