OPERATIONS MANAGER - IRAQ
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
“Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences, where everyone can live in dignity”
Humanity & Inclusion (HI) is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
Since the organisation was first founded in 1982, we have set up development programmes in more than 60 countries and responded to many emergencies. Today we have a budget of around 150 million euros, with 3500 employees worldwide.
The HI network is an organisation made up of a Federation (with 2 operational HQs in Lyon and Brussels), 8 national associations (Germany, Belgium, Canada, United States, France, Luxembourg, United Kingdom and Switzerland) and the HI Institute on Humanitarian Action. All these entities work concertedly to implement HI’s international aid and development mandate.
The Federation is responsible for implementing the network’s social missions in around sixty countries. It operates under the names “Humanity & Inclusion” or “Handicap International” depending on the country.
HI is engaged in an employment policy in favour of disabled workers.
For further information about the association: www.hi.org.
JOB CONTEXT :
In Iraq, HI has been registered and operational in the Kurdish Region of Iraq (KRI) since 1991, implementing development programming in the governorates of Dohuk, Erbil, Sulaymaniya and Halabja, in order to advocate for the rights of persons with disabilities and improve their access to services through support to Disabled Persons Organizations (DPOs). Since 2014, HI has scaled up its intervention in Iraq to respond to the humanitarian needs generated by the capture of territory by the IS-group, subsequent military operations and the widespread displacement of Iraqi populations. HI has become a lead implementing agency in the emergency response in the Health and Protection sectors, operating across Ninewa, Kirkuk, Baghdad, and Anbar Governorates mostly.
To follow the evolution of Iraq context the new Operational Strategy for HI’s Programme in Iraq for the period 2020-2022, plan the global objective of HI programming in Iraq around 3 central pillars:
1- Health: Ensure access and quality of specialized rehabilitation services for the most vulnerable people whose physical and functional and/or psychological integrity is compromised, through the strengthening of the health system : skills development, referral pathways, community-based rehabilitation.
2- Protection: promoting an integrated response to the risks associated with explosive hazards through mine risk education, clearance, victims assistance, including PSS.
3- Social Inclusion : promotion of access to services for vulnerable groups, particularly people with disability with inclusive humanitarian action, strengthening of governance policies and civil-society organizations and tailored livelihood
These pillars are complemented by three cross-cutting themes: subsidiarity and partnership & Innovation and research.
HI is looking for its Operations Manager to ensure relevance of HI’s Programme to the Iraq’s context and ensure compliance with HI’s policies and quality frameworks.
The team is composed of 250 national staff and 25 international staff, with total annual budget of 10 Million Dollars.
Under the direct responsibility and support of the Country Director (CD), your main responsibilities are:
Management of the Operations Unit in Erbil
· Foster a team spirit and team functioning guaranteeing synergies and exchange of good practices between the Operations staff in Erbil
· Size and plan human resources needs as necessary for the unit.
· Recruit and contribute to the professional development, autonomy and well-being at work of the Unit
· Acknowledge individual and collective efforts and performance.
· Embody and transmit HI values, ensure compliance with code of conduct and institutional policies, ensure the expected mind set and individual and collective behaviors, and disciplinary measures
Steer organization transformation, in particular through managerial and work practice change and continuous improvement of working processes
· Ensure roll-out of ROOTS processes: identifying responsibilities and standardizing processes related to Operations. Promote and facilitate change with regular communication and exchange
· Plan and implement the second phase of organizational transformation: identify challenges, develop, in collaboration with Country Director, HR department and Operations Officer, an action plan and ensure smooth implementation
Functional animation of the programme’s operational aspects
· Facilitate good collaboration between Area Managers, Chief of Operations, and support teams (technical and shared services), in order to facilitate project implementation as necessary; provide methodological support on Project Cycle Management and related operational cross-cutting themes with area managers and relevant departments (MEAL, Technical Unit).
· Promote subsidiarity in the management of the implementation at Area Level.
· Set-up and lead an Operations Steering Committee, collect recommendations and ensure follow-up with Area Managers and Operations Unit.
· Ensures a functional follow-up of the teams in its functional area of responsibility area in connection with their direct managers.
Development of the Programme’s Operational Strategy
· You lead the design and roll-out of programme developments assessments and workshop, assess potential partnerships, support the Country Director in planning opportunities and fundraising.
· You plan, develop and roll-out the necessary policies to support the good implementation of projects: Project Cyclement Management processes and policies, Operational Partnership management, conflict sensitivity mainstreaming, integrated and/or innovative Armed Violence Reduction approaches, REACT minimum preparedness measures.
· At least twice a year, you contribute to the annual monitoring of the StratOp and to next year’s Programme planning.
· In case of crisis/emergency, you implement the framework and contribute to HI’s Emergency Response.
Implement the project part of the Programme’s Operational Strategy:
· You identify and transform funding opportunities, conduct the design and writing of new projects and contribute to the design, writing and fundraising of major multi-country projects, in close relation with the Technical Unit Manager.
· In link with the Technical Unit, you identify and develop local partnerships and/or consortia with NGOs, institutions, companies;
· You develop regular contacts with current and potential donors at country level and liaise with the Country Director to check coherence with overall Programming and fundraising strategy.
· You ensure supervision of the Land Release Programme component through the direct management of the Chief of Operations: ensure transversal programme aspects are integrated in the programme, monitor results and achievements and support and facilitate coordination with other relevant programme staff (Area Managers, Grant, MEAL, technical unit). Ensure high-level representation with relevant authorities as requested.
Ensure the deployment of and compliance with HI global frameworks, institutional policies and standards. These include: the mandatory reference frameworks (such as HI Mission & Values or HI Theory of Change: Access to services), all HI's institutional policies (Security / Code of Conduct and Safeguarding / Bribery prevention / PME and Project Quality Framework / Age-Gender-Disability), all institutional directives and processes; delegation thresholds; security levels…
Supervise the overall sound management and monitoring of projects under the responsibility of Area Managers:
· With the support of the Area Manager, you are ultimately accountable to ensure compliance with project donors’ rules and regulations, including visibility.
· With the support of the MEAL Unit, you ensure the deployment of all adequate tools that will allow project monitoring, compliance with HI policies and frameworks, and the respect of contractual obligations towards donors: consolidation, control and reporting to the line Manager of operational and organizational elements
· Ensure smooth coordination between Area Managers, Technical Unit and the MEAL Unit for the application of HI technical quality standards in projects implemented at field level
· You facilitate internal audits and ensure the implementation of their recommendations
YOUR PROFILE :
ü With at least 7 years of professional experience in humanitarian / emergency contexts, you have solid experience of multi-sector programme management in similar context (nexus)**
ü You have at least 1 year of experience in the Humanitarian Mine Action sector
ü You have proven managerial experience -Proven representation and / or advocacy experience
ü You have previous coordination experience with local authorities, INGOs and clusters
ü Previous experience in Iraq or in another Middle Eastern country is a strong asset
ü Previous experience with HI is an asset
ü You have solid knowledge and understanding of programme management in similar setting : multy-sector / multi-year project design, planning, implementation and monitoring.
ü Good understanding of nexus paradigm and programming in post-crisis and reconstruction contexts
ü Good understanding of HR, logistics and financial procedures;
ü Strong internal and external coordination and representation skills
ü You are fluent in English, knowledge of Arabic is an asset
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE POSITION :
The position is based in Erbil, where there is an active social life and most facilities are available and Low level of insecurity. The position will require frequent travel to the areas of intervention (medium to high level of insecurity) in intervention’s areas, where HI teams are working in community resources centers, IDP camps, health facilities and the communities in areas of Iraqi Kurdistan, Kirkuk, Nineveh, Diyala, Anbar and Baghdad. The security context remains fluid and movement restrictions can be introduced on an ad hoc basis.
At HI, the conditions offered are up to your commitment and adapted to the context of your mission. Particular attention is paid to health issues and your personal situation.
We offer an induction and training path adapted to our staff members and we have a HR policy oriented toward mobility and professional development.
· 24 months International contract starting from July 2021
· The international contract provides social cover adapted to your situation:**
o Unemployment insurance benefits for EU nationals**
o Pension scheme adapted to the situation of our employees: If you already have a personal pension scheme HI will contribute at the same level of your personal monthly contribution with a maximum of 272.53€/month; If you do not have a personal pension scheme, we will open a private pension account with your contribution of 272.53€/month and a contribution of HI of the same amount**
o Medical coverage with 50% of employee contribution **
o Repatriation insurance paid by HI**
· Salary from 2750 € gross/month upon experience
· Perdiem : 488 € net/month - paid in the field
· Hardship : 250 € net/month paid with your salary
· Paid leaves : 25 days per year; R&R : 5 days every 3 months + possible transport/package support.
· Position: open to couples
§ Support travel costs (air ticket & visa) for accompanying dependent and health/ repatriation insurance if the dependent has no income/
§ Mission of more than 18 months: payment of one yearly additional return flight
· Housing : individual taken in charge by HI**
How to apply:
Only online by joining a CV and cover letter via the following link: http://www.jobs.net/j/JJDPxdOi?idpartenaire=136
Applications will be processed on an ongoing basis, don’t wait for applying!
Only successful candidates will be contacted.
Apply to Job