Migration Health Coordinator (Emergency Preparedness and Response)
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
IOM Iraq was established in 2003 and has built a strong network of staff, offices and logistics capacity. With
more than 1,300 staff and main offices in Baghdad, Erbil, and Basra and 16 sub-offices in key locations, IOM
works in cooperation with the Government of Iraq to provide support across all of Iraq’s 18 governorates.
Within a fragile political, economic and security environment, IOM Iraq is addressing humanitarian needs,
supporting reintegration of returning IDPs, and promoting stabilization of communities. To reduce risks and
vulnerabilities of displaced and host communities in Iraq, IOM integrates humanitarian and development
approaches and addresses the link between security and development using area-based, tailored approaches
founded on strong data analysis.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Head of
Migration Health, the successful candidate will lead migration health emergency preparedness and
response. He/She will be responsible for supporting program coordination and management to further
develop the EPR portfolio and ensure high quality and integrated response to internally displaced persons
in camps and out of camps and vulnerable returnees.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Develop strategic direction and vision for IOM’s emergency health preparedness and response.
- Identify opportunities for developing emergency preparedness programs in line with IOM’s Health
Border and Mobility Management (HBMM) framework, International Health Regulation (2015), and
the Global Health Security Agenda.
- Lead on program development and resource mobilization for emergency preparedness and response
including donor mapping and engagement and development of proposals/concept notes.
- Oversee the implementation of all emergency preparedness and response projects including projects
targeting displaced populations and returnees, the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak response, and
response to other emergencies in the country.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female
candidates are especially encouraged, as well as the internal and external candidates are eligible to
apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, the internal candidates are considered as
- Lead the development of technical reports, information notes, talking points, and other outputs related
to emergency preparedness and response.
- Supervise IOM Migration Health staff and consultants throughout IOM’s multiple sub-offices in Iraq
- Develop standard operating procedures, guidelines, and standardized processes for the implementation
of emergency preparedness and response projects.
- Develop health assessment guidelines and tools for areas of interest to prioritize locations for
- Lead on the capacity building of national and international staff in the areas of emergency
preparedness and response.
- Identify and develop innovative approaches to address health issues affecting vulnerable populations
- Collaborate with other program units to integrate health interventions and/or multi-sectoral projects.
- Identify ways to link emergency programming to health system recovery and strengthening with IOM
and in collaboration with the government, UN agencies, and other stakeholders.
- Identify data management and reporting needs and contribute to development of streamlined processes
and systems in close collaboration with the relevant teams within the unit and the MEAL team.
- Monitor and be responsible for the administration of multiple budgets and financial status of health
projects, proposing corrective measures in coordination with the Country office’s (CO) Resource
- Liaise and expand partnerships with Iraqi Government’s Ministry of Health, at national and subnational
levels, on all emergency preparedness and response matters and on IOM’s role and support to
- Work closely with World Health Organization (WHO), the United Nations International Children's
Emergency Fund (UNICEF), other UN Agencies and relevant NGOs and parties, to strengthen public
health emergency preparedness and response capacities.
- Represent IOM at emergency coordination forums, promoting linkages among humanitarian response
sectors such as CCCM and DTM.
- Any other tasks as requested by the supervisor.
Master’s degree in International Development, Public Health, Social Sciences, Management or a related
field from an accredited academic institute with minimum seven years of relevant professional
experience in public health and project management.
Experience and Skills:
At least seven-years of experience in international development or humanitarian response.
Experience with developing content for proposals, liaising with donors, and collaborating with internal
Excellent computer skills, especially in MS Office applications such as MS Word, MS Excel, MS
Access, Internet Explorer.
Fluency in English and Arabic are required.
Fluency in Arabic and working knowledge of Kurdish is advantageous.
Work prioritization and ability to multitask.
Shares knowledge and experience.
Positive, constructive attitude.
Ability to work and act under pressure with discretion in politically sensitive environment with a
minimum of comfort.
Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view.
Ready to work independently, under tight deadlines.
Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Ability to work in a multi-cultural team environment with a positive attitude.
Highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty.
Strives for supportive working environment and positive working relationship.
Creates a respectful office environment free of harassment, retaliation, and promotes the prevention of
sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA).
How to apply:
While this vacancy is open to both Internals and Externals, priority shall be given to qualified Internal
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via this link:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed. Only
shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Apply to Job