Humanitarian Programs Coordinator
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
VSF-BELGIUM is an international NGO with a vision of Healthy Animals, Healthy People, in a Healthy Environment. VSF-BELGIUM strives to strengthen the capacity of disadvantaged livestock dependent communities in the South in order to improve their well-being. In times of crisis following nature born or man-made disasters, VSF-BELGIUM goes even one step further and makes sure immediate humanitarian assistance is provided to livestock holding families.
VSF-BELGIUM is currently active in five West-African countries (Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso, Mauretania, Benin) and five countries in the Great Lakes region (DR Congo, Rwanda, Burundi, Uganda, Tanzania) with an average annual budget of around 12M EUR.
VSF- BELGIUM directly employs around 100 people in our country offices and has 18 staff members based in our Brussels headquarters organised in three departments Operations, Support Services, and Fundraising and Communication.
VSF-BELGIUM is a member of the International Non-Profit Organisation VSF International.
Context and challenges
VSF-BELGIUM is in a process of strategic change. We aim to increase our current operational volume of development and humanitarian operations in the next years. We also aim to become an even more recognized international player in our specific niche, in the domain of both Development Cooperation and Humanitarian Assistance.
We are looking for a Humanitarian Programmes Coordinator to assist us to achieve these goals.
Over the past 15 years, VSF-BELGIUM has formulated and implemented emergency projects to protect the livelihoods of livestock-dependent communities, to help them recover, and to secure the gains of development efforts.
VSF-BELGIUM has decided to increase its capacity for implementing emergency livestock activities in Africa building on the "Livestock Emergency Guidelines and Standards - LEGS".
These humanitarian activities are based on three livelihood objectives: (I) Provide rapid assistance to disaster-affected communities through livestock-based interventions; (ii) Protect key livestock-related assets of disaster-affected communities; and (iii) Rebuild key livestock-related assets within disaster-affected communities.
We also seek to provide assistance to refugees and internally displaced people through livestock related activities. We aim to design and implement actions that strengthen livelihoods within the humanitarian – development - peace nexus.
VSF-BELGIUM has recently obtained a Partnership Framework Agreement with ECHO and this year we are aiming for a partnership agreement with the Belgian Directorate for Development Cooperation’s Humanitarian Aid Department.
The position of Humanitarian Programmes Coordinator (HPC) is new in VSF-BELGIUM. The HPC will be the first member of the humanitarian operations cell at Head Office. One of many challenges to be tackled is construing – together with our teams in the field - our humanitarian strategy and translate that strategy rapidly into an ECHO program from 2022.
The HPC will propose the humanitarian response strategy of VSF-BELGIUM and build its first humanitarian operations cell.
The HPC will be responsible for ensuring VSF-BELGIUM has high quality humanitarian programs and develop and maintain a broad and sound network of technical and financial partners for the humanitarian operations by VSF-BELGIUM.
Through his/her expertise and experience, the HPC will give hands-on support to and build the capacity of the staff of VSF-BELGIUM and partners in the field in their ability to formulate, implement, monitor and evaluate emergency preparedness and assistance projects.
The HPC reports to the Director of Operations.
Key areas of responsibility
Humanitarian Strategy Development
- The HPC will develop a long-term VSF-BELGIUM Humanitarian Response Strategy
- The HPC will work towards an organisation structure for the Humanitarian Operations cell that responds best to the challenges that VSF-BELGIUM will meet in the coming 5 years
- The HPC will be responsible for designing an adequate humanitarian response funding strategy
· The HPC ensures the Strategy and VSF-Belgium’s Operational Manuals take into account donor rules and regulations
Humanitarian Program Development and Delivery
· Through his/her support and coaching to the field, the HPC will ensure that VSF-BELGIUM delivers high quality, multi-sectoral humanitarian crises preparedness and response programming taking in account the development – humanitarian – peace NEXUS contexts (as appropriate).
· The HPC monitors technical and operational quality of humanitarian programmes, including conducting regular field visits to provide trainings to staff and partners, to provide feedback on quality benchmarks, to solicit inputs for design of new programmes, and to collect ideas for innovation
Representation and Partnership
· The HPC participates in identifying, nurturing and strengthening strategic partnerships with government institutions, international civil society organizations, and NGOs in the field of humanitarian assistance
· The HPC plays a leading role in operationalizing partnerships at project and national levels
· The HPC is VSF-BELGIUMs major interface with the Government of Belgium, European Commission, donors, partners and other key stakeholders on humanitarian issues
Communication and advocacy
· The HPC contributes to developing and delivering content about the humanitarian crises affecting our beneficiaries (nature, causes, effects and impacts) and about the humanitarian response by VSF-BELGIUM thereto
Safety and Security
· The HPC contributes to risk analysis and risk management of humanitarian interventions and proposes risk mitigation strategies
· A Masters Degree in a relevant field
Knowledge and experience
· At least five years, but preferably 10 years of humanitarian response experience with an international organization
· A combination of field and headquarters’ programme management experience is preferable
· Experience within a development organization will be an asset
· Excellent knowledge and experience of humanitarian issues, policies, SPHERE principles and standards as well as humanitarian coordination mechanisms
· Experience in LEGS, LRRD (linkage between Relief, Reconstruction and Development) and resilience programming is essential
· Good knowledge of major humanitarian organisations and donors and their requirements (ECHO, OFDA, UNHCR, DFID, DGD Humanitarian Aid, etc).
· Fluency in English and French; Working knowledge of Dutch is an asset
· Ability to work flexibly and independently in a networked working environment
· Excellent writing skills and an ability to communicate clearly and respectfully
· Strong and proven ability to develop and maintain a network of different actors (INGO’s, donors, etc, …)
· Excels at performing in a dynamic environment and inspiring stakeholders and engaging them enthusiastically in a project
· Strong ability to adapt to an ever-changing context
· Proven ability to coach and build capacity
· Identifies him/herself with the mission, vision and values (respect, transparency and sustainability) of VSF Belgium
· Adheres to our Code of Integrity
· Has an open and positive attitude that inspires confidence
· Is willing to travel regularly (30% of the time)
Vétérinaires Sans Frontières is a learning organisation, with a cohesive and committed team, particularly attentive to adopting a quality approach in achieving its mission.
Vétérinaires Sans Frontières offers a stimulating international working environment, with ample room for creativity and innovative ideas. We offer a full-time, open-ended contract with a package in line with the sector, with extra-legal benefits. The vacancy is not an expat position.
In addition, as an employer, the organisation strives for a good work/life balance for its employees.
How to apply:
Please send your application, CV and 3 references, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org at the latest on 16/05/2021 quoting the reference “*Humanitarian Programmes Coordinator*”.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the European Union. This vacancy is open to male and female candidates. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For more information, please visit www.vsf-belgium.org. A detailed job description or more info about the job is available via email@example.com.
Apply to Job