Disaster Risk Reduction Project Manager - Erbil – IRAQ
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
The French Red Cross (FRC) is operational in Northern Iraq since 2013, especially in Dohuk, Ninewah and Erbil governorates and expanded its activities in Babil, Missan, Wassit and Souleymania governorates. Focused first on the influx of Syrian refugees, then on the IDP crisis and the challenging displacements and returns of population, FRC provides assistance in a range of sectors including WASH, livelihoods, education, shelter and relief. Current programming includes WASH (including COVID-19 response), Livelihoods (cash), and Disasters Risk Reduction whilst opportunities to engage into Health thematic will also be explored in 2021. Mainstreaming of the Iraqi Red Crescent (IRCS) capacity strengthening is also a main priority particularly in DRR.
Prone to political instability, violence, corruption, and natural hazards including earthquakes, floods and disease outbreaks, Iraq is an anomaly of an upper middle-income country at “very high risk” of a humanitarian crisis requiring international assistance. The INFORM Index for Risk Management places Iraq on the fourteenth most at-risk country globally, categorized at the highest level of risk class (very high) when considering levels of exposure to hazards, vulnerability and coping capacity. Moreover, human-induced hazards receive an almost maximum score of 9, including projected conflict risk and current highly violent conflict intensity. Due to its geographical location and topography, Iraq is prone to multiple hazards. The review of past disasters in Iraq in EM-DAT and CatNat shows an estimated number of 37 disasters over the last 65 years ranging from river floods to heatwave, drought and earthquake. Since the COVID-19 outbreak in March 2020, Iraq faces needs in COVID-19 preparedness and response. To address these issues, in consortium with the Iraqi Red Crescent and the Swedish Red Cross, the French Red Cross (as consortium lead) secured one year ago a grant from ECHO for a DRR project, which is a new area of intervention, either for the FRC and the Iraqi Red Crescent Society (IRCS) in-country. The project will be held until December 2021.
Respecting and applying the principles of RC/RC Movement (Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality), the Project Manager will have the following objectives
- Ensure the implementation of the DRR Echo project in Iraq
- Ensure the coordination with DRR consortium partners/stakeholder in Iraq
- Ensure the coordination with DRR actors in country
- To manage, supervise, monitor the project implementation and ensure the project is completed on time and with quality and in respects to ECHO’s requirements (including reporting)
- To develop, maintain, boost and strengthen working relationship with the Iraqi Red Crescent Society (IRCS), as well as national and local governmental partners, and the Swedish Red Cross (SRC) in-country
- To strengthen IRCS and relevant involved stakeholders’ coordination and disaster response capacities;
- To define lessons learnt and capitalize on experience
- Under the authority of the Program Coordinator
- Supervise DRR project team in Iraq composed of 2 National staff based in Baghdad
- Works in close cooperation with the DRR Technical Expertise Unit (FRC HQ) based in Paris
- Functional links with the different components of FRC delegation (logistics and administration/finance coordination)
- Functional links with IRCS ECHO DRR focal point at HQ and branches level
- Functional links with SRC in-country (HoD, Wash & Green response delegate), relevant authorities, and other international organizations in the country as appropriate
- Functional links with IRCS/RCRC DRR management group in Iraq
- Collaborates with other DRR authorities / actors in the countries of operations
- Abilities to work with communities and local partners
- Experience with RCRC Movement experience is an asset.
- Multi-skilled, flexible with a strong capacity of adaptation
- High sense of diplomacy, patience and tenacity,
- Training skills, managerial competencies, engaging partners, capacity to mobilize and team work
- Able to manage stress
- Good analytical and documentation skills: ability to analyse and synthesize large amounts of information; capitalise and document good practices and lessons learnt
- Strong communication and representation skills
- Experience / knowledge of Iraq/Middle East region is an asset
- Capacity to work under pressure and deadlines
- Previous experience in working in altered security context with strict security rules
- Relevant educational background in Disaster Risk Management, Hydrology, Geography, Environment or other DRR related courses
- Significant international experience in DRR project management especially on Disaster Preparedness
- Solid experience in institutional support to local and national authorities
- EWEA skills and experiences
- Experience in budget and financial follow-up is desirable
- Experience with ECHO funded projects is an asset
- Good knowledge/Experience of the Red Cross Movement is highly considered
- Good professional English is mandatory
- French and Arabic are an asset
- Location: Erbil/Baghdad with frequent travels overall Iraq (mainly in Erbil, Souleymania and Missan Governorates and Wassit and Babil Governorates in a lesser extent)
- Length of assignment: 8 months
- Start date : June 2021
- Status: Expatriate
The French Red Cross reserves the right to fill the position before the closing date for applications.
The French Red Cross (the President and by delegation, the Director General) processes, as treatment responsible, personal data concerning you for the purposes of the study and treatment of your application. Access to your personal data is strictly limited to authorized persons of the French Red Cross and to our subcontractors to achieve the mentioned purpose. As part of the terrorist financing and money laundering fighting system, any selected candidate may be subject to verification with our CSI Web subcontractor.
Your data will be kept for 2 years after the last contact with you and then archived according to the applicable limitation periods. If hired, your data will be kept for the duration of the employment contract and then archived.
In accordance with the amended law "Informatique et Libertés" of the 6 January 1978 and the General Data Protection Regulation of the 27 April 2016, you have the right to access, rectify, delete under certain conditions, oppose for legitimate reasons your data and to limit the treatment. You also have the right to define guidelines relating to the use of your data and the way in which you wish your rights to be exercised after your death. You can exercise these rights by contacting the HRIS Department at the following address: Carrefour.firstname.lastname@example.org
In any case of difficulty, you can contact the Data Protection Officer (DPO) at the French Red Cross headquarters at 98, rue Didot - 75014 Paris or at the following email address: DPO@croix-rouge.fr; you can also file a complaint with the French data protection authority, the CNIL.
- Passport valid for more than 6 months at the moment of departure
- Up-to-date vaccination card / fitness for travel
To be better acquainted with the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement, we invite you to follow two training sessions online, free and accessible to all. These training sessions constitute a real advantage for your application: WORC (The World of Red Cross and Red Crescent) is an e-learning course on the fundamental principles and operations of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. Its 12 modules address subjects such as the origin and history of the Movement, its fundamental principles, its emblem, the International Federation, the ICRC and national societies. It is dedicated to all profiles: volunteers, employees, members or people wishing to get more information on the biggest humanitarian movement in the world. Stay Safe is dedicated to every staff in a position to carry out international missions on behalf of the Federation or a National Society of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. The course aims at developing a common culture of security management within the Movement in order to enable a better understanding of the main threats and risks for humanitarian actors in the field, and offers solutions to restrain their impact. You will find these lessons on the IFRC Learning Platform open to all by clicking on the following link: https://ifrc.csod.com/client/ifrc/default.aspx
How to apply:
Merci de nous faire parvenir CV et lettre de motivation : https://emploi.national.croix-rouge.fr/fe/tpl_CroixRouge02.asp?s=4A515F4E5A565B1A&jobid=86392,7112982148
Apply to Job