Consultant - Digital Communications Consultant (Temporary, Part Time - Paternity Cover) - Remote (UK)
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
TITLE: Digital Communications Consultant (Part Time, Temporary - Paternity Cover) - MERCY CORPS EUROPE
WORKSITE LOCATION: UK (home based; opportunity to use our Edinburgh/London offices when possible)
DATES: June - August 2021 (12 weeks)
SUPERVISOR (TITLE): Head of Communications
DEPARTMENT CODE: 650830 COMMUNICATIONS - PRESS
FUNDING AVAILABLE FOR THE CONSULTANCY: Approximately £250 per day
Mercy Corps is a leading global organisation powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
ABOUT MERCY CORPS EUROPE
Mercy Corps Europe (MCE) has grown rapidly both in terms of the volume of activity and its complexity. With offices in Edinburgh, London, Geneva and The Hague, we now attract over £100m in income, and employ around 100 domestic and expatriate field team members. The breadth and impact of our programmes makes Mercy Corps a unique and truly rewarding place to work. Our teams are proud of what we achieve in the field and we are always looking for talented individuals who share our passion and commitment.
Purpose / Project Description:
As part of the Communications Team at Mercy Corps in Europe, the Digital Communications Consultant will be responsible for maintaining MCE’s social media and website, developing compelling multimedia content, and growing and engaging our target audiences.
H/she will work closely with colleagues around the world to drive inspiring digital campaigns to help achieve our strategic influencing, income and impact objectives.
The Consultant will:
● Maintain Mercy Corps Europe (MCE) social media channels (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram) with fresh and engaging content to help showcase our work, campaigns, messages and impact;
● Manage social media advertising campaigns;
● Oversee the MCE website (https://europe.mercycorps.org/) and post regular content in line with MCE’s brand and editorial guidelines;
● Conceptualise and develop, together with MCE and Mercy Corps Global (MCG) colleagues and external contractors, multimedia assets (e.g. videos) to support communications strategies;
● Optimise user experience and use principles of good content design (e.g. through SEO);
● Ensure effective monitoring and evaluation of all digital activities and generate analytical performance reports for website and social media accounts. Disseminate relevant information within MCE;
● Ensure overall brand compliance and consistency across all MCE social media presences;
● Apply excellent attention to detail to ensure donor visibility guidelines are met;
● Where applicable, join team reflection sessions and contribute ideas and recommendations to improve MCE digital communications activities.
This consultancy will take 12 weeks (8 hours per week in June; 16-24 hours per week in July - August), with the possibility of extension.
The Digital Communications Consultant will work closely with:
● Senior Digital Communications Officer - Mercy Corps Europe (Edinburgh)
● Media and Communications Officer - Mercy Corps Europe (London)
● Head of Communications - Mercy Corps Europe (The Hague)
● Social Media Manager; Director of Digital Development; Managing Director - Digital Marketing - Mercy Corps Global (Portland, Oregon)
Required Experience & Skills:
● Substantial experience (minimum 5 years) in implementing digital communications strategies
● Substantial experience with social media management, ads and tools such as Sprout
● Web editing skills including experience using a CMS (Mercy Corps uses Drupal)
● High-level understanding of user experience, principles of good content design, along with SEO and optimising content for organic search
● Understanding and working knowledge of Google Analytics, metrics and evaluation of online activities
● Knack for storytelling, in particular through photography and video
● Sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability to set priorities and manage work plans
● Time management and the ability to work to deadlines
● Excellent written and verbal communications skills
● Problem-solving approach, good at taking initiative and good team player
● Native or proficient in English language
● Knowledge of, or demonstrated passion for international development, humanitarian relief, poverty reduction, climate change, conflict and peacebuilding, and other related topics.
How to apply:
In your submission please include:
● Letter of interest outlining how you would approach this work and proof of previous relatable experience
Apply to Job