Cash & Basic Needs Program Manager
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
The Cash & Basic Needs (CBN) Program Manager will be responsible for technical oversight and management of cash & basic needs programming by focusing on market analysis, cash transfer modalities, targeting and implementation. This includes Emergency cash assistance, cash for winterization, cash for shelter, multi-purpose cash distributions, conditional cash assistance, , and other basic needs support for vulnerable CARE Jordan programs participants. In addition, this position will support the use of cash as a modality for specific sectorial needs for Sustainable Development Program.
The CBN Program Manager position will provide strategic leadership on cash transfer feasibility and risk assessment, undertake the cash transfer delivery mechanism, provide recommendations and contingency planning to support the cash transfer programming to ensure CARE remains at the forefront of cash programming in Jordan, with innovative and cutting-edge applications and programs, high quality services to CARE Jordan programs participants, and robust staff and partner’s capacity.
The selected applicant will report to the Protection and Community Engagement Director, and will directly supervise staff in different areas. This position will be a focal point for cash and basic needs partners.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
Cash Transfer Program Strategy & Process
• Lead cash and basic needs programming strategy including annual work plans, partnership strategies, team structure, geographic concentrations, implementation modalities, sector concentrations, and process and quality improvements.
• Ensure all basic needs modalities are assessed and delivered when needed.
• Provide input into the design of targeting, beneficiary identification and selection approaches, and distributions to ensure processes are fair, accountable and transparent for program participants and different stakeholders.
· Ensure that key protection principles and key gender, age and disability principles are mainstreamed into the program design.
• Contribute to CARE-Jordan understanding of cash for protection component as related to CARE's strategic intent.
• Develop and enhance cash for protection tools (e.g. guidelines, Standard Operating Procedures, monitoring formats, assessments) and innovations, based on CARE’s global standards.
• Actively lead in developing and implementing assessments for cash and other basic needs programming to identify opportunities to develop, expand, and improve the project.
• Actively pursue and contribute to new business development opportunities on cash and voucher assistance for protection component and market-based cash distribution modalities in the country.
Direct Program Management
• Develop detailed projects work plans that are aligned with donor timelines and targets and follows CARE Jordan Cash & Basic Needs Standard Operating Procedures, Project Control Checklists, and other Guidance.
• Prepare detailed program activity, procurement and spending plans well in advance of program activities to ensure strong cross-departmental coordination, particularly with Program Support and Program Quality and Impact.
• Work with finance colleagues to ensure appropriate and accountable modalities of cash transfer are in place and that these approaches are adapted.
• Work closely with MEAL to support the development of accountability activities for cash transfer programming, ensuring the feedback from all relevant stakeholders is considered during program implementation.
• Review all post distribution monitoring (PDM) and monitoring reports, share results with the field team and direct supervisor to support program improvements. Prepare donor’s monthly, quarterly and annual reports for the program in coordination with projects managers and PQ team.
• Draft project study and assessment reports to ensure program are well-grounded and based on participatory input from field staff, partners, service providers and Program participants.
Staff Management and Capacity Building
• Hire, supervise, and build the capacity of team members in relevant technical and management competencies.**
• Coach, train, supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting annual performance objectives, providing regular and timely positive and constructive performance feedback, and providing documented periodical performance reviews.
• Adhere to and act in accordance with the CARE HR Policies and Procedures, and communicates through word and example a high standard of compliance with all applicable policies and regulations.
Representation & Coordination
• Engage with and represent CARE in the relevant local and regional fora and coordination working groups such as (cash and basic needs working groups, UN, Governmental, NGO, CARE MENA structure).**
• Pro-actively liaise with other agencies to identify needs and gaps in implementation areas and prevent overlap and duplication of services, share learning and challenges, and ensure harmonization on core project details when required.
• Represent CBN Program in all donor and field visits in all locations.
• Engage with and represent CARE Jordan in CARE fora and coordination working groups connected to cash and voucher assitance.**
A. Education / Training **
Bachelor's or Master degree or higher qualification on development studies/economics/social science/international relations or another relevant discipline.
Training in Cash programming and best practices (CALP or equivalent – CALP TOT level will be an added advantage).
- Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Project Management, Development studies or other related fields or combination of relevant education and experience relevant to the job.
- *Training in Gender studies
B. Managerial Know How **
Involves integrating and harmonizing requirements of diverse functions in operating, support, and administrative situations. It may be exercised through consultation as well as direct action; Management requires a combination of planning, organizing, controlling, and reviewing along with direct and indirect execution. Choose one of the following: Task; Minimal; Related; Diverse; Broad.
This position requires (Diverse) managerial know-how.
C. Experience Required:
• At least 6 years planning, implementing, designing of Cash for protection and market-based approaches within different sectors as well as across several sectors
• Field experience in multiple countries in Jordan or in the region.
• Demonstrated capacity in technical advisory support and mentoring for multiple clients at one time
• Extensive experience in training in cash for protection.
• Experience in implementing market assessment and analysis, combined with knowledge of key tools (EMMA, RAM, etc.)
• Knowledge of donor cash for protection and market-based approach guidelines (e.g. USG, European, GAC)
• Experience in conducting strategic work at a regional or global level.
• Knowledge of key initiatives in cash for protection (Global Protection Cluster , CaLP) and their key areas of involvement at the regional/global level.
• Understanding of gender concepts and the linkages with market and cash for protection.
• Strong analytical and conceptual skills in humanitarian programming, assessing emergency needs, market analysis, response analysis, and program design.
• Strong ability to work independently, organize work, meet deadlines, prioritize work under pressure, and coordinate multiple tasks.
• Fluency in Arabic and English
D. Skills *Required
- Conducting needs assessment, evaluation and/or preparing analytical work
- Project management and reporting skills and experience
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Excellent documentation skills in English language
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and writing)
· Strong team player skills and experienced collaborator
· Proven skills in program planning, development, analysis, assessing and reporting to external grants providers
· Effective negotiation and representation skills
E. Human relations skills
Consists of active practicing skills in the area of human relationships. In the work context Human Relations Skills include all capabilities that are needed to interact on a direct person-to-person basis, and through varied approaches build understanding of, acceptance of, or commitment to, courses of action that are important for the organization. These skills may be applied in relation to peers, subordinates or peers within the organization, or to people outside the organization. Human relations skills could be Basic, Important (Influencing) or Critical (See Guidelines for definitions).
The Human Relations Skills for this position are designated as Important
CARE Core Competencies:
- Respect - Behaving in a manner that reflects a true belief in and appreciation for the dignity and potential of all human beings. Gaining other people’s confidence and setting an environment of trust and openness.
- Integrity - Maintaining social, ethical, and organizational norms; firmly adhering to codes of conduct and ethical principles inherent to CARE.
- Commitment to Service – this competency is woven throughout all aspects of the employee’s performance.
- Excellence - Setting high standards of performance for self and/or others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed; ensuring interactions and transactions are ethical and convey integrity.
- Diversity - Promoting, valuing, respecting and fully benefiting from each individual’s unique qualities, background, race, culture, age, gender, disability, values, lifestyle, perspectives or interests; creating and maintaining a work environment that promotes diversity.
Other desired Competencies:
• Peer Relationships
• Dealing with Ambiguity
• Building Effective Teams
• Integrity and Trust
• Cross-Cultural Agility
• Time Management
• Strategic Agility
• Written Communications
Thinking Environment: Broadly Defined
Thinking Challenge: Adaptive **
Is the answerability for actions and for their consequences? It is the measured effect of the job or position on end results. It has three dimensions in the following order of importance:** Freedom to Act; Impact on End Results; and Magnitude**.**
A) *Freedom to Act* is the degree to which personal or procedural control and guidance for work (or lack thereof) exists. This is a function of the organizational framework, the personnel and policy direction, and the flows, processes, and systems that are established in the organization. Choose one of the following: Limited; Prescribed; Controlled; Standardized; Regulated; Clearly Directed; Generally Directed; Guided; or Strategically Guided. (See Guidelines for definitions).
- This position would be designated as Generally Directed
B) *Impact on End Results* considers the principal nature of the job’s influence on end results, which ranges from very direct control to very indirect support. Choose the Impact category that reflects the basic purpose of the job most clearly. Ancillary; Contributory; Shared; Primary (See Guidelines for definitions).
- This position would be Shared
C) *Magnitude*: Financial: What parts of CARE’s revenue and/or expenses are impacted by the job’s primary goals? Use current fiscal year amounts. E.g. project budget, fundraising or contract goal, budget managed or monitored, donations processed, purchases made, contracts negotiated/signed, benefits costs.
What is the $/EUR amount related to job’s primary goals? 5,465,090 USD00000
What is the $/EUR amount of signing authority for this position? 0000000
List the primary external and internal relationships, which the employee is expected to maintain. State the purpose of these interactions.
PQ MEAL staff
Communities & Partners
Relevant working groups
WORKING CONDITIONS: **
- Travel: The post holder will be based primarily in the CO with frequent visits to different locations inside Jordan. **
- Safety and Security: CARE’s Safety and Security Officer is available for advice and guidance. **
How to apply:
CARE International in Jordan places human dignity at the center of its relief and development work. At the heart of CARE’s efforts to impact poverty and social justice is its engagement with marginalized communities, and vulnerable adults and children.
CARE International in Jordan is an Equal Opportunity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or disability. care is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those that are suitable to work within our values are recruited to work for us.
Apply to Job