Basic Education and Computer Literacy Teacher
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Overview of position
Our client is an implementing partner for the Federal Government of Somalia’s (FGoS) National Programme for the Treatment and Handling of Disengaged Combatants and women formerly associated with AS. The National Programme maintains the objective of establishing a comprehensive process that allows for low-risk disengaged combatants and women associated with AS to social and economically reintegrate into society through transition centres in Baidoa and Kismayo. This support includes the provision of basic education, civic education, religious counselling, and life skills, business, financial literacy and vocational training.
Our client's Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration (DDR) unit is seeking to recruit an experienced Basic Education and Computer Literacy Trainer to provide full-time instruction to female beneficiaries in Baidoa and Kimsayo. This position is jointly managed by the South West State of Somalia (SWSS) government/Jubland State (JSS) government and our client, with dual reporting requirements.
This contract receives day-to-day and week-to-week oversight from the administrative manager (Administrative Assistant) with support from technical staff (Livelihood Team Leader, Education Coordinator) and other staff. Overall contract performance management is jointly monitored and evaluated by our client and the government partner. Our client will undertake contracting obligations and remuneration in close collaboration with SWSS and JSS Ministry of Internal Security.
- Basic Education
· Evaluate student literacy and numeracy needs and design curriculum and instruction to teach basic mathematics and reading/writing in Somali to adult learners
· Develop schemes of work, lesson plans, and assessments to monitor and report on student learning needs, progress, and achievements.
· Utilize experiential learning methodologies to support adult learning for adults with low literacy.
· Create, update and maintain training materials, manuals, handouts, and practice exercises for efficient and effective delivery of the skills.
· Provide a stimulating learning environment and provide additional assistance to students with particular learning needs and abilities; instruct in a manner that develops students' confidence and their abilities; integrate a variety of teaching strategies and curriculum content
- Basic Computer Literacy and Graphic Design Teaching
· Design and deliver a basic computer literacy curriculum based on student needs and learning level. To include:
· Computer Literacy
· Introduction to computers (Microsoft) and internet use (Google)
· Introduction to typing
· Introduction to Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, OutLook)
· Carry out any additional responsibilities appropriate to the position.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others and building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply. Preference may be given to qualitied female candidates.
How to apply:
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website as a candidate & apply for this role using this link:
Apply to Job