WASH Technical Manager - Bentiu, South Sudan
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps began programming in Sudan in 1985, and has been operating in states of what is now South Sudan since 2005; operations have continued since the independence of South Sudan in 2011. We have been working to meet people’s immediate needs, and with communities, to build local capacity and promote economic development, especially with the eruption of violence in December 2013. Mercy Corps South Sudan’s priority areas are food security and livelihoods (focusing on cash assistance, market-based solutions in agriculture and economic development), WASH, Education, youth development and conflict resolution. Mercy Corps has been implementing projects, which combine agricultural, economic development, WASH, Education and other humanitarian interventions to tackle the convulsive crisis affecting vulnerable communities. Mercy Corps has worked to build relationships with local government and other actors, which has enhanced our understanding of local contexts and the multiple stakeholders involved. With the Peace Agreement and formation of a Transitional Government, Mercy Corps had expanded and intensifying multi-sector programming to rural areas in Unity state (Rubkona, Panyijiar Counties and Koch) and Western Equatoria (Mundri east and west).
General Position Summary
The WASH Technical Manager will report to the Director of program. He/She will be responsible to manage the overall WASH program implementation USAID/BH and other donors in Unity and Western Equateria states in South Sudan. S/he will initiate and contribute to the development of Mercy Corps’ WASH program strategy, which is a constitutive part of the MC country strategy, and subsequently manage its implementation. The job demands strong and regular interaction and coordination with the WASH partners such as UNICEF, NGOs, and other sector managers. The position holder will develop tools for assessment, planning, implementation, monitoring, capacity building of Mercy Corps staff, reporting, and evaluation of the program and preparing periodic reports back to donors. He/She expected to seek opportunities for WASH Sector implementation research, and communicates learnings from programming. He/She will map donors, understand their technical expectations, pre-positions and lead the design and development of proposals.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision
● Provide program technical guidance, coordination, supervision and monitoring designed to meet program objectives, deliverables and goals.
● Spearhead a WASH strategy for the Mercy Corps South Sudan Country Program designed to integrate with other sectors, namely protection, education and livelihoods.
● Develop innovative models for WASH programming with linkages to reproductive health, child protection, gender-based violence and food security and livelihoods.
● Analyze WASH needs and concerns, propose new areas of work to Mercy Corps, lead or participate in proposal development.
● Ensure inclusion of national technical staff and other key stakeholders into the strategy process.
● Supervise and monitor the implementation of the USAID/BHA funded WASH activities, ensuring that all the activities are compliant with the grant requirements.
● Work with the Program Director to identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, donors, and other stakeholders.
● Ensures that systems are in place for longer-term operation and maintenance of all water supply and sanitation facilities and that projects are implemented in a consultative and participatory manner with beneficiaries.
● Demonstrated depth and breadth in participatory methods to engage local communities in needs assessments, design and implementation of local, culturally acceptable water and sanitation interventions.
● Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
● Participate in cluster working groups and meetings on WASH.
● Develop surveys, need assessments, data and information collection, design interventions accordingly for on-going WASH activities to build the capacity of Mercy Corps staff, as well as project stakeholders.
● Provide technical oversight to the field teams and mentor senior staff in the design of WASH activities.
● Communicate grant work plans related to WASH to senior technical staff and to the Program Director.
● In coordination with the Director of Programs, and other relevant grantholder to ensure joint planning and grant compliance.
● Work with the Director of program to overcome implementation challenges based on practical solutions.
● Ensure the tracking, monitoring and quality reporting of all WASH activities.
● Complete budget pipeline planning, monitoring and monthly follow up in collaboration with Mercy Corps staff and in communication with the Director of program and Finance director.
● Ensure documentation and filing of project activities in compliance with Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
● Understand and appropriate application of WASH in Emergency guidelines and promotion of best practices.
● Understand and follow Mercy Corps’ Program Management Minimum Standards.
● Ensure all interventions adhere to Mercy Corps’ Gender Policy and Do No Harm principles.
● Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
● Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
● Supervise, hire and orient new team members as necessary.
● Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
● Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
● Other duties as assigned by the Director of Programs for South Sudan
Finance & Compliance Management
● Prepare procurement plan based on project cycle for WASH interventions.
● Manage grant budgets.
● Ensure all necessary requests (procurement requests, purchase orders, etc.) are accurately prepared and submitted on time.
● Ensure internal and donor compliance through a strong knowledge of USAID/BHA/USAID rules and regulations.
● Stay informed of incidents as they arise through the field and are raised through the program coordination mechanism.
● Enhance internal and external compliance through supporting incident-reporting mechanisms when needed.
● Maintain and coordinate reporting and documentation of WASH activities.
● Timely preparation bi-weekly, quarterly and interim donor reports for relevant activities under the guidance of the M&E Manager, Finance manager and Director of Programs.
● Work closely with support functions in Mercy Corps South Sudan to ensure highest compliance and adherence to Mercy Corps policies and procedures
● Manage budgets and work with the Finance Team on proper budget management, including, budget development, forecasting and procurement planning, as well as monthly financial reports and BVA analysis and reviews.
Influence & Representation
● Develop and maintain effective coordination with community stakeholders, government bodies/officials, civil society bodies and humanitarian partners with an eye towards long-term, cooperative and collaborative relationship-building.
● Effectively represent Mercy Corps in coordinating bodies and other forums, especially the South Sudan WASH Cluster at field and national levels.
● Participate in local coordination mechanisms
● Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
● Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
● As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
● Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- WASH Project managers (Koch and Panyjiar), Senior WASH Project Officers all field offices, and Hygiene Promoters.
Reports Directly to: Director of Program
Works Directly With: Works Directly With: Program teams, Finance Department, Operations, Head of Office (s) & Security Manger.
Knowledge and Experience
University degree in Engineering or relevant WatSan specializations.
At least 5-7 years’ work experience in a development, emergency or post-conflict setting, in WASH program designing and implementations.
Must be able to function effectively in a fluid, loosely structured, but complex work environment and to set appropriate priorities and deal effectively with numerous simultaneous requirements.
Advanced knowledge of water and sanitation engineering and training in the use of a variety of water equipment including emergency mobile water treatment and storage unit, sanitation kits, water treatment chemicals, design of boreholes, rehabilitation of hand dug wells, pipe lines, basic knowledge of treatment of sewages as well as concrete storages, etc.
Demonstrated capacity in program management, budget management, planning, reporting, monitoring and evaluation, and team-building.
Excellent written and oral English skills and ability to draft high quality proposals, concept notes and donor reports is required.
Demonstrate effective in coordination and representation roles, strong presentation and public speaking skills. Demonstrated experience and abilities in donor and government relations.
Demonstrated experience in capacity-building of national and international staff.
Effective multitasking, organizational capacity, prioritization skills are necessary.
Works well in a fast-paced, multi-cultural environment. Flexible and able to handle pressure well.
Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members is essential
Strong project management skills.
Familiarity with different US and other international donor regulations.
Organized and detail oriented, with an ability to multitask.
A successful candidate will have a strong technical background and will have demonstrated management of similar projects in the past. S/he will have the capacity to deliver and meet deadlines, be conscientious, with an excellent sense of judgment and have an ability to foster solid working relationships with communities, GOs, INGOs, and NGOs and other stakeholders. S/he will have an ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks with strong computer literacy and exceptional organizational skills.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
This position is based in Bentiu, South Sudan with travel to deep-field locations in Unity and Western Equatoria State (Rubkona, Koch, Panyjiar, Mundri East and West Counties). Accommodation in Bentiu is in containers/pre-fabs. Laundry, filtered water and cooking facilities are provided by Mercy Corps.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to apply:
Apply to Job