Tractor Operator/ Farm Assistant
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
JOB TITLE: Tractor Operator/Farm assistant
JOB TYPE: Full-Time
Sustainable Agricultural Information Initiative (SAII) is a regional Not for Profit development organization with over 10 years of experience in delivering agricultural development and resilience-building interventions focused on value chain development in the ASAL and other counties of Kenya. The NGO is concerned with the promotion of sustainable agricultural practices to eradicate hunger and extreme poverty by implementing climate smart, innovative, enterprising and sustainable interventions that contribute to mainstreaming good agricultural practices and market-oriented approaches, generating and diversifying household incomes among smallholder farmers and enterprising youth & women enterprises, thereby contributing to the long-term agenda of ensuring a food secure and a healthy nation.
Through the Kimira Oluoch Irrigation Scheme High Value Horticultural Crops Commercialization Project, SAII plans to start an agriculture related project in Homabay that will support procurement of two tractors that will be operated by the driver under the guidance from the project coordinator.
- Drive tractor to move materials, draw farm implements, trailers, pull out objects embedded in ground, load heavy material or equipment:
- Fasten attachments, such as graders, ploughs, and rollers, to tractor with hitch pins.
- Lubricate and repair tractor and attachments regularly.
- Operate tractor mounted with widespread pneumatic or metallic treads to transport materials or sickle bar mower to mow weeds and plants.
- Operate tractor equipped with levelling equipment to level large fields for farming.
- Observing the road and traffic laws and regulations of the Government of Kenya and ensure that safe driving practices are adhered to.
- Ensure tractor is kept clean, tidy and in good working condition when not in operation.
- Able to work as a technical farm attendant if the tractor is not in operation
- Ensure tractor is given regular/day-to-day maintenance checks: check oil, water, battery, brakes, tyres, etc and ensure tractor repairs are carried out properly.
- Perform minor repairs and arrange for other repairs and prepare tractor spare parts inventory.
- Assist the Admin Officer to ensure insurance and registration is updated according to schedule: Log official trips, daily mileage, fuel consumption, oil changes, etc.
- Carry out any activities as assigned by the Management.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Plant Operator Certificate
- 5+ years of experience in driving tractors in active operations.
- Minimum academic qualification; KCSE
- Valid tractor driving license and certificate.
- Sufficient knowledge on tractor operation and maintenance
- Self-motivation, a strong work ethic and enthusiasm for change.
- Committed to a positive approach to equality of opportunity and community engagement.
- A positive, communicative personality that engenders confidence in others.
- A supportive and open line colleague.
- Non bias and professional in making decision.
- Alcohol must not be consumed or present whilst on duty.
How to apply:
Candidates who meet the requirements should send their CV and a cover letter motivating their interest in the position, detailing current and expected salary and Skype and mobile contacts by COB (17**th** February 2021**)** and follow the application instructions on the site.
Please use this link to access the job profile:
Sustainable Agricultural Information Initiative (SAII), is an equal opportunity employer and only shortlisted candidates, whose CVs are received into our database will be contacted
Apply to Job