TB Public-Private Mix Advisor
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
SUSTAINING TECHNICAL AND ANALYTIC RESOURCES
FELLOWSHIP TITLE: TB Public-Private Mix Advisor
HOST ORGANIZATION: National TB Program, Ministry of Health
LOCATION: Jakarta, Indonesia
POSITION LEVEL: Mid-Career Technical Advisor
TRAVEL: *20% estimated travel*
STAR PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
Sustaining Technical and Analytic Resources (STAR) is a project of the Public Health Institute (PHI) in partnership with the Johns Hopkins University (JHU) and the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), supported by the US Agency for International Development (USAID). STAR is a Global Health talent hub. Through fellowships, internships, and strategic partnerships, STAR supports building the capacity of diverse global health professionals and organizations at all levels to make inclusive, collaborative, and innovative contributions to global health. STAR participants collaborate in the development of systems and tools that strengthen and sustain the local and global health response. https://www.ghstar.org/ Sign up with our listserv.
ABOUT THE FELLOWSHIP
The STAR Fellowship is a two-year global health and learning opportunity with:
- Individualized, tailored support to enhance the fellow’s achievement personal and professional goals
- Personalized learning plans and access to learning resources (courses, conferences, mentoring) based on fellow’s learning style and preferences.
- Access to broad professional networks to enhance peer learning and knowledge sharing.
FELLOWSHIP OPPORTUNITY DESCRIPTION
USAID is a leader in the global fight against tuberculosis (TB) and supports anti-TB efforts in high burden TB countries. Embedded advisors, such as via STAR Fellowship, are a key component of the USAID Administrator's TB Accelerator initiative that aims to reach the UN General Assembly TB Declaration targets as well as to build the capacity and commitment of the host governments to ensure TB self-reliance through evidence-based TB programs.
Engagement of private providers in the TB response has been a critical driver in recent gains in TB care and prevention in Indonesia, under the National Tuberculosis Program (NTP)’s District Public Private Mix (DPPM) initiative. The Tuberculosis Public Private Mix (PPM) Advisor (Advisor) shall provide state-of-the-art technical expertise to support the NTP in implementing their National TB Strategic Plan (NSP). S/he will support the National TB Program, and in particular the NTP PPM officer, in strengthening the PPM program at the country level.
The Advisor will receive technical direction from the NTP Manager who will serve as the onsite manager and work in close collaboration with USAID/Indonesia and USAID/Washington TB team.
Essential Duties and Outcomes:
Strengthen quality of technical assistance on PPM to build the capacity of the NTP:
- Provide advice and high-quality technical support to NTP in the implementation of the National Strategic Plan (NSP) with respect to district PPM, with a focus on strengthening the quality of diagnosis, notification and treatment of private sector TB patients.
- Develop and refine the National Action Plan of District PPM and facilitate its dissemination.
- Strengthen the capacity of provincial and district health authorities to manage private providers and PPM efforts.
- Support the national “PPM core team” to implement the revised DPPM model and support GF related PPM activities.
Improved implementation of PPM activities financed by Global Fund:
- Support the NTP PPM officer(s) and/or “PPM CORE Team” to accelerate PPM activities financed by Global Fund.
Improve quality management and technical oversight of PPM:
- Perform monitoring and evaluation (M&E) of PPM implementation conducted by Government of Indonesia entities, USAID and Global Fund implementing partners, and other organizations involved in district PPM, and provide recommendation for corrective actions.
- Strengthen the programmatic capacity of KOPI TB (the Professional Organization Coalition in TB control in Indonesia) and its functionality to support the effectiveness of PPM strategy at all levels.
- Strengthen PPM M&E in country, both by working with the NTP to strengthen their own PPM M&E and by convening other involved partners to advise and assist, including strengthening the ability to determine the original source of TB patients and their site of treatment (public vs private; primary vs secondary; for-profit vs non-profit).
Improve coordination of PPM activities nationwide:
- Compile, synthesize, analyze and share lessons learnt on PPM (e.g., the Global Fund funded activities, USAID TB private sector, and others),
- Provide advice on scale-up of potential interventions to advance the PPM strategy at country level.
- Analyze and translate the PPM approach into strategic activities at national, provincial, and district levels.
- Support the joint effort to improve the efficiency of Jaminan Kesehatan Nasional expenditures for making progress towards Universal Health Care on TB through the Strategic Health Purchasing.
Strengthen coordination of NTP PPM activities with USAID Mission and partners in country:
- Participate in regular NTP activities geared towards TB PPM including meetings, support supervision, surveys, etc.
- Provide continuous, in-country day-to-day support to the NTP on National Strategic Plan (NSP) and Global Fund grant implementation.
- Prepare periodical performance reports and submit progress reports twice annually as well as a monitoring and evaluation report USAID.
- Maintain regular communications with USAID.
Anticipated learning outcomes: approximate 10% time
- Apply TB and PPM knowledge to strengthen program.
- Apply and distinguish international standards within technical/content area to support programming.
- Cultivate leadership skills based on the STAR GH mentorship curriculum to effectively facilitate capacity building and knowledge sharing activities amongst staff and peers.
- Expand access to knowledge and resources through networking and collaborative practice within global health.
- Minimum 7 years of relevant technical experience with master's degree in public health, or relevant field or a minimum 9 years of relevant technical experience with bachelor's degree.
- At least 5 years of experience in TB program, preferably the sub-area of Public Private Partnership/Public Private Mix/DOTS linkage.
- Solid technical knowledge of PPM and the up to date of global recommendations and national policies on PPM TB.
- Demonstrated experience in private sector engagement within the health sector is an advantage, more specifically in TB program is desirable.
- Understanding of Indonesia health system, JKN and the related issues with TB, and the opportunity of improving TB programming through financial lever.
- Experience working with the key stakeholders in TB program, preferably national stakeholders and international donors.
- Experience working with USAID projects is an advantage.
- Fluent in English and Bahasa with the ability to actively participate in meeting in English.
- Indonesian citizenship required.
How to apply:
All applicants are required to apply for this position through STAR’s online recruitment system at https://www.ghstar.org/, which allows you to store your CV/resume and separate cover letter describing your qualifications and experience, interest and familiarity with issues relating to this position, and how this position relates to your career goals is required for each application. Position will remain open until filled.
Apply to Job