Senior Coordinator- NEOC
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Position: Senior Coordinator for the National Emergency Operations Centre
Institute: Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management (MoHDM)-Steering Committee
Duty Station: Mogadishu, Somalia
Reporting level: DG MoHADM
The Federal government of Somalia (FGS) has prioritised development of capacity at federal and member states level for effective disaster management in its National Development Plan 2017-2019. In January 2018, the FGS adopted a National Disaster Management Policy which provides a legislative framework for embedding disaster management (DM) within appropriate structures of the government. The aim of this policy is to strengthen national capacities for effective disaster preparedness, response, mitigation, prevention and recovery, in order to protect lives and livelihoods, property, environment and the economy at large. The policy recognises that while the government has the primary role in reducing disaster risk, responsibility should be shared by all stakeholders including local government, civil society, the private sector and other national and international organisations.
A Senior Coordinator for National Emergency Operations will be established under the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management (MoHDM) and will focus on strengthening the Somali Governments (including other states) capacity to manage, coordinate and respond to natural disasters (e.g related to climate change) and conflict.
Summary of Assigned Duties
During the assignment, duties may be modified based on the needs of the program.
1) The incumbent will act as the senior coordinator of the establishment of the National Emergency Operations Centre in Mogadishu.
2) He/she shall be the focal person to maintain the relationship with MSB and the Embassy of Sweden, when required.
3) He/she shall manage the operational and implementation of the activities related to the establishment of NEOC Somalia
4) Contribute to building the national capacity through need identification, development, operationalization and implementation of a capacity-building and training plan.
5) Conduct regular and frequent coordination meetings with national and regional emergency and disaster management authorities and other relevant stakeholders
6) Liaise with national and international stakeholders, to avoid duplication of activities and ensure that the NEOC is in line with other initiatives
7) Participate in coordination forums (e.g. Resilience Pillar Working Group, Resilience Partners Forums) to contribute to collective resilience efforts in Somalia
8) Engage with other relevant emergency and disaster management authorities (e.g. other member states), government and civil society to facilitate and ensure the smooth implementation of the agreed activities
9) Identify and assess gaps and needs of the NEOC core capacity including staff inventory and make recommendations
10)Coordinate with international and national partners for support for NEOC establishment
11)Actively participate proposals for resource mobilization (including non-traditional donors)
12) Mainstreaming of cross-cutting issues, e.g. gender, environmental and climate, poverty perspective to be including in the core of the NEOC
13) Liaise with NIS and assist the Embassy of Sweden with other tasks that may be necessary to ensure the success of the Programme.
Essential: An advanced university degree (Master’s level or above) or its equivalent in a relevant field (e.g. disaster risk management, humanitarian assistance) **
Desirable: Degree or sound understanding of emergency response or disaster management in the context of Somalia.
Essential: At least ten (10) years' relevant experience, at the national and international levels in DRR, humanitarian assistance, emergency preparedness and response and / or experience in capacity building, developing and promoting collaborative partnerships.
Desirable: Experience or sound knowledge in Sida funded project, excellent understanding of UN mandate and goals in humanitarian crisis, or experience in UN organizations/agencies, international institutions or NGOs. Critical understanding of First Aid fundamental principles -both theories and practical
Excellent knowledge of both written and spoken Somali and English. **
How to apply:
Interested candidates who meet the profile stated should submit their applications accompanied by a detailed CV to the following address:
Apply to Job