Research Fellow: Wetland Ecosystem Management Specialist
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
The Research Fellow will work under SEI Asia’s Water Resources Management Cluster to undertake research for both new and ongoing projects with focus on wetland ecosystem management, ecosystem-based adaptation (EbA), wetland monitoring, ecosystem service valuation, natural-based solutions (NBS) and wetland restoration, environmental policy analysis and stakeholder engagement. This position will emphasise developing innovative projects, work across disciplines, mentor early-career researchers, and build capacity for key stakeholders. The candidate will ensure that research results are published in high-quality external publications and engage with policy and decision-makers.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Provide technical research and leadership in the areas of wetland ecosystem management, ecosystem-based adaptation (EbA), wetland monitoring, ecosystem service valuation, wetland GIS/RS mapping, natural-based solutions (NBS) and wetland restoration
- Lead projects, manage client/partnership relationships, supervise project employees, and write project reports
- Provide guidance for early-career members on research management, project implementation and reporting, and monitoring and evaluation
- Develop documents, tutorials, user guides and technical reference information to support training, capacity building and reporting activities
- Design and conduct data collection, field survey, and support the team to organize workshops and stakeholder consultations
- Identify funding sources, lead and contribute to proposal development and fundraising, and seek to secure funding for projects, and
- In collaboration with the communications team, undertake outreach activities that include teaching, presentations, dialogues and briefings, articles for specialist publications and scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals and interaction with the media as appropriate.
Who you are
We are looking for a researcher who has adequate experience in researching and managing projects related to wetland management, ecosystem-based adaptation and resilient ecosystems in water resources management context in the Asia-Pacific region. We expect that this person will be able to apply their analytical skills as well as their qualitative and quantitative research expertise to work on biodiversity and ecosystem issues and create positive policy impacts at all levels.
Formal qualifications and knowledge
- Doctoral degree with a minimum of 4 years of working experience, or a master’s degree with a minimum of 8 years of working experience in in ecology, natural resources management, hydrology, water management, environmental sciences, environmental planning and other related fields
- Experience in wetland ecosystem management, ecosystem service valuation and ecosystem-based adaptation (EbA) and impact assessment of water resources development and climate change on wetlands
- Experienced in stakeholder engagement that leads to on-ground change in behaviour, actions and knowledge
- Experience of writing technical reports; must have published at least three peer-reviewed publications in well-known journals in the respective field
- Experience of developing proposals and managing research projects, and
- Excellent fluency in spoken and written English.
- Experience of research in natural-based solutions and habitat assessment
- Experience of working in international organizations, INGOs or international working environment with multiple discipline teams
- Experience of working in the ASEAN region and with transboundary river basins
- Experience of using modelling, GIS and remote sensing tools, and
- Good communication- and policy engagement experience
The employee will be provided with a local (Thai) contract.
How to apply:
We are reviewing applications on an ongoing basis so please submit your application as soon as possible, however no later than 9 March 2021 23:59 Bangkok local time. As we only accept applications through our recruitment system, online, please use the button below and please prepare your:
- Cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience (not more than 2 pages)
- Curriculum vitae or resume including 3 references (not more than 7 pages), and
- 2-3 writing samples of articles where you are a lead author.
Please complete the online application at APPLY or on SEI Website
SEI ASIA is an equal opportunity employer and we consider all applicants on the basis of qualifications and competencies regardless but not limited to race, national origin, religious beliefs, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability and marital status. We are committed to ensuring diversity and equality within our organisation and applicants from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Apply to Job