Regional Programme Coordinator (MENA Region)
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Are you a motivated individual, with project management experience? Want to make a difference in the world of social protection? We have an exciting consultancy opportunity for someone with exceptional communication and network building skills, supporting the delivery of a new Development Pathways' project in the MENA region.
Programme: “*Shifting the paradigm: building inclusive, lifecycle social security systems in the MENA region” (Phase 1)*
Position: Regional Programme Coordinator
Location: Remote working in the MENA region, preferably Lebanon.
Contract Type: Consultancy (external supplier) and Part-time
Duration: Currently 4 months (with the potential to extend)
Start Date: March 2021
Source of Funding: Ford Foundation
Reporting line: Project Manager
Development Pathways has been awarded a grant from the Ford Foundation to implement the project “***Shifting the paradigm: building inclusive, lifecycle social security systems in the MENA region***”.
The project’s primary aim is to strengthen the knowledge and awareness of the benefits of inclusive social security policy across a wide range of actors, including civil society, government, academia, the private sector and the media.
The long-term (10 year) goal will be to strengthen the commitment of national populations, media and politicians across MENA to support investments in comprehensive, universal social security systems.
The first phase of the project will take place over 18 months and, while it will build evidence across the region, during this first phase it will focus on Jordan, Lebanon and Tunisia to pilot the strategy. If the initial phase is successful, after 18 months the project could extend to more countries and deepen the engagement within Jordan, Lebanon and Tunisia by supporting civil society actors in their advocacy on progressive social security.
The project’s medium-term outcomes are:
· Outcome 1: Significantly enhanced capacity and commitment among key CSOs across at least eight countries to engage in advocacy and policy dialogue on universal social security.
· Outcome 2: Across Lebanon, Jordan and Tunisia, a greater awareness among national populations, the media and politicians on the social, economic and political benefits of investing in and implementing universal social security systems, as well as the feasibility of doing so.
· Outcome 3: A highly valued regional learning platform in Arabic, English and French, which is ‘owned’ by CSOs in the MENA region and facilitates training in social security, discussions between civil society actors and access to international, regional and national resources and evidence on social security.
The Regional Programme Coordinator (RPC) is a central figure in the delivery of the project. They will be responsible for representing Development Pathways in the region, engaging and maintaining relationships with partners, coordinating project-related knowledge dissemination and capacity building activities among partners, and overseeing logistics and office management in the main country of work, and during missions to other countries in the region. They will also assist the Technical Team lead in identifying and partnering with local contributors to technical outputs under the research and knowledge building activities.
The responsibilities of the Regional Programme Coordinator will be to:
· Facilitate the overall establishment of the project in the MENA region, building contacts and potential collaborators.
· Facilitate the establishment of a network/alliance of civil society actors across the MENA region which can collaborate in bringing about progressive change, giving priority to the three countries of focus for Phase 1 (Tunisia, Lebanon, Jordan).
· Coordinate and contribute to regular meetings of the network/alliance of civil society actors across the region.
· Facilitate the planning and logistics of regional research into social protection and support the production of outputs.
· Support the Technical Lead and Business Development Unit to identify local technical experts to contribute to the development and delivery of research outputs, training materials, communications products.
· Facilitate the identification and awarding process of up to three regional sub-grantees.
· Potential to facilitate the establishment of a Development Pathways office, following necessary local regulations and requirements.
· Responsibility for regional MENA logistics such as workshop preparations and travel arrangements.
· Provide line management for up to two individuals.
· Draft periodic reports to the Ford Foundation on all programme activities, according to the requirements of the grant.
· Support in recruitment and the achievement of long-term objectives of the project as directed by the Technical Lead and Programme Manager.
Qualifications and Experience:
· Masters degree or higher in International Development, Public Policy, Social Sciences or related fields; candidates with degrees or specialisations in Business, Management, or Non-profit (Civil Society) management may also be considered
· At least 10 years of progressive professional experience, including at least 5 years of experience in a leadership or management position
· Excellent experience in project management or as a team leader; experience managing international projects highly desirable
· Strong knowledge of the political and social context in the Middle East and North Africa. Candidates with experience in Tunisia, Lebanon and Jordan will be strongly preferred.
· Experience working with civil society organizations in the region; experience organising civil society networks, knowledge management and capacity building is desirable
· Good experience with managing individuals and teams with different academic, professional and cultural backgrounds and with different levels of competencies
· Willingness to travel, sometimes at short notice
· Language requirements: Fluency in Arabic is required; excellent spoken and written English is required; proficiency in French is desirable
· Knowledge of social policy is desirable
· Excellent project management skills - including demonstrable understanding of project cycles, knowledge of best practice operational management processes, ability to identify and understand risks and experience in designing, leading and contributing to project planning
· Excellent interpersonal, communication and networking skills
· Analytical skills
· Excellent time management skills
· Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office, Internet)
· Ability to take initiative and capable of working independently
· Capable of managing competing tasks and staying calm under pressure
· Problem solving
· Relationship building
· Mutual accountability
How to apply:
We invite interested candidates, who meet the requirements, to submit their applications, by including:
- A Curriculum Vitae (CV) specifying the relevant qualifications and work experience.
- A Statement of Interest that also includes your daily fee rate and availability.
- Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The closing date for this vacancy will be the 14th February 2021.
Development Pathways is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate and support diversity and are committed to providing a work environment that is inclusive and free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on individual qualifications without regard to race, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, family or parental status, or disability status.
Applicants should be aware of our privacy notice at this link:
Shortlisted candidates: you will be invited to participate in an interview and complete a written assessment.
Apply to Job