Public Health Delegate Venezuela
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
The Norwegian Red Cross is part of the Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement, the world’s largest humanitarian network with millions of volunteers and staff operating in 190 countries. Our mission is to alleviate human suffering, protect life and health, and uphold human dignity especially during armed conflicts and other emergencies. To achieve this, we follow the seven humanitarian principles: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary service, Unity and Universality.
The Norwegian Red Cross is currently looking for a Public Health Delegate for Venezuela, based in San Cristobal de Táchira. The delegate will be on a Norwegian Red Cross contract and seconded to the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).
Responsibilities of the Public Health Delegate:
- Contribute to health analysis-needs’ assessment, and contacts/ networking with relevant interlocutors in close collaboration with the Health Coordinator, Head of Sub-Delegation (HoSD) and ICRC departments such as protection and communications departments.
- Implement the health ICRC strategies and activities of the Sub-delegation as defined in the planning annual planning for results (PFR)
- Evaluate, support and ensure that in the continuum of care wounded and sick from the priorities zones of San Cristóbal benefit from timely and effective First Aid
- Support accordingly to the ICRC health priorities the technical aspects concerning emergency care responders/ providers at pre-hospital and primary healthcare levels (communities, Venezuela Red Cross (VRC) volunteers, and primary healthcare staff) in close coordination with Health Coordinator.
- Contribute and support the preventive and basic access to healthcare activities (health brigades – “Jornadas de Salud”) - at the Colombian border in cooperation and coordination with VRC and health authorities.
- Enable primary healthcare services in specific areas affected by violence as per validated ICRC health strategy and/or migration, through the support to ministry of health primary healthcare centres/posts - “ambulatorios”.
- Overall ensure constant monitoring of prone outbreak diseases, through the ICRC activities and in operational areas. Design, propose and implement when responses accordingly and in coordination with other departments.
- Explore jointly with HoSD and health coordination areas where Norwegian Red Cross specific expertise could enhance the ICRCs program
- Hire staff when requested by ICRC, and coach and supervise resident field officers.
- Attend regular sub-delegation meetings, and meetings with interlocutors at field level, corresponding to the health areas of responsibility.
- Manage and follow-up of the implementation of the health ICRC budget of the corresponding programmers and participate in yearly planning.
- Contribute to Quarterly Health Report, field reports, and other technical or ad hoc reports.
- Contribute/proactively submit the institutional reporting.
Required education, experience and proven skills:
- Doctor or nurse specialized in public health, with 5 years minimum of experience.
- Should be well versed in strategic planning.
- Experienced in First Aid and other emergency care interventions, esp. during armed conflicts or other situations of violence, health system analysis and public health care (PHC), including response to public health outbreaks is an asset.
- Qualifications and experience as a trainer and able to train trainers/ instructors (incl. the development of teaching references), especially in contexts with limited resources and hard access to healthcare, is an asset.
- Experience in coaching/ supervision
- Skills and demonstrated activity in the area of community-based work, and project and result-based management.
- Able to work under pressure and in volatile environments.
- Ability to adapt to local cultures and security constraints.
- Spanish and English work proficiency is required.
- Motivated to support the capacity building of National Society counterparts.
- International driving license is required (manual gear)
We consider it an advantage if you also have:
- Previous experience with ICRC, the Norwegian Red Cross or another component of the Red Cross Movement
- Experience with emergency preparedness and response
We seek a person who:
- Collaborates well with others; shares knowledge, experience and information and supports others in the pursuit of team goals.
- Contribute to build a useful network of contacts and relationships and utilize it to achieve objectives defined by the ICRC delegation.
- Communicate in a clear, precise and structured way; speak with relevant health authority and conviction; presents effectively.
- Take initiative to ensure the implementation of the health strategy and is a self-starter, makes things happen and is result oriented.
The position will be based in San Cristobal de Táchira, with extensive travel to other border states with Colombia.
We offer a 12 months’ contract, with possibility for extension. Candidates must be prepared to accept unaccompanied postings ( (i.e. no spouse, partner, children or dependents).
Why should you apply?
- Meaningful: Youll be a part of the world's largest humanitarian organization, reaching the most vulnerable people in their local community.
- Impact: You will help National Societies in the region to become strong, self-sustained and accountable humanitarian actors.
- Career: You will be connected to an international organization with staff based all over the world
- A great place to work: You will work in a multicultural environment with hard-working, dedicated and fun colleagues with a strong culture of collaboration, continual improvement, and celebration of wins.
Norwegian Red Cross striving to build a working culture based on respect, honesty and generosity.
We do a thorough background check on relevant candidate.
How to apply:
To apply visit our website.
Apply to Job