NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Position Title: Project Officer
Duty Station: Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 23 February 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People's Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), direct supervision of Emergency Response Coordinator, and in coordination with the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE), Regional Thematic Specialists (RTS) in the Regional Office (RO) in Dakar and relevant units at Headquarters the successful candidate will support and coordinate the development and implementation of emergency programmes and humanitarian assistance activities in the Country Office.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Ensure the project implementation in a timely manner, overseeing its financial, administrative and technical aspects, in line with IOM’s policies and procedures, as well as donor requirements.
Monitor the project progress specifically aimed at increasing effectiveness and recommending appropriate action.
Supervise the staff assigned to the project, as well as consultants/ implementing partners (IPs) recruited to support and/or undertake specific activities.
Coordinate and monitor the compliance with project partners, project staff and implementing entities and liaise with the Government representatives at national and local levels, Non-Governmental Organisation (NGOs) and other local partners.
Ensure coordination with other IOM units within the Country Office for a smooth implementation of all project activities.
Liaise with Government entities and, other implementing partners, United Nations (UN) agencies and other stakeholders in the project’s target countries.
Provide proper information exchange on all operational aspects of the project between IOM, the donor and other stakeholders.
Ensure adequate information management on project related activities including visibility by providing regular updates, summaries, press releases and other relevant materials, in coordination with the donor and IOM’s Communication team.
Review as per donor requirements and IOM policy and prepare quality Progress Financial and other reports related to the project activities.
Contribute to the development of new projects proposals.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Business Administration, Migration Studies, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in project management, implementation and project development;
• Experience in coordination of various projects to ensure maximum outputs;
• Experience in liaising with government authorities and other national/international institutions;
• Experience in emergency settings with strong knowledge of IOM/UN project life cycles;
• Previous experience with UN and International Agencies, international or local NGOs preferred; and,
• Work experience in the Region is an advantage.
• Knowledge of UN/IOM’s regulations, policies and procedures preferred;
• Knowledge of project budgeting is desirable;
• Strong writing, communication and negotiation skills; and,
• Excellent organization skills, analytical and creative thinking.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 23 February 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 10.02.2021 to 23.02.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2021 32 Project Officer (P2) Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso (56846372) Released
Posting: Posting NC56846373 (56846373) Released
Apply to Job