Project Director - Women Political Participation
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
The Arab Reform Initiative (ARI) is hiring a full-time Director to oversee an ambitious multi-country project to empower a homegrown Women, Peace and Security (WPS) agenda in the MENA region, focusing on countries that are currently experiencing conflict (Iraq, Libya, Palestine, Syria, Yemen).
In collaboration with local partners in Libya, Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Palestine, and Lebanon, and with support from the European Union, ARI will conduct and coordinate research, provide training and advocacy opportunities to local activists as well as conduct research on regional WPS initiatives and their sustainability and efficacy. More information about the project available in Annex.
Ideally based in ARI’s Beirut office, the Project Director will be responsible for overseeing the successful achievement of the project and its objectives; developing partnerships and relationships with a broad range of stakeholders including project partners, relevant media, the research field, and WPS community of practice, and policymakers; defining and implementing an impact-driven strategy to ensure that the project’s research results and advocacy actions have policy impact locally, regionally and with international institutions, notably the EU. Working with the ARI Beirut team, the Project Director will ensure liaison with all the project stakeholders.
In addition to overseeing the project, the Director will also be in charge of leading ARI’s broader work on women political participation in MENA and representing the institution in key meetings and media outlets.
The Project Director reports to the ARI Executive Director and works closely with the Project Coordinator and the Finance Officer and other relevant program and finance staff in France, Lebanon, and countries of project implementation.
The role is for a period of 3 years.
- Provide strategic leadership and technical, operational, financial, and managerial leadership for the successful implementation of project activities.
- Provide oversight of program implementation, including reporting, budget development and monitoring, financial transactions, execution of project plans, and project performance. Ensure the project produces the specified results and intended outcomes as outlined in the project proposal.
- Manage and build positive relationships with all project stakeholders, including country partners, researchers, consultants, and participants in the program.
- Define and oversee the implementation of an impact-driven Communications and Outreach strategy, in conjunction with ARI’s communications team.
- Conduct monthly reviews to ensure accountability of all project activities as well as the accurate and timely reporting of financial deliverables and obligations, in conjunction with project core staff.
- Ensure that the project progresses in accordance with its contractual obligations and complies with donor regulations and internal organizational policies, including compliance procedures and code of ethics.
Representation and Leadership
- Act as the primary project contact person and liaison, ensuring the project is represented in national, regional, and EU technical, policy, and planning forums with the European Union, the European Commission, and other key stakeholders.
- Develop ARI’s broader work on Women Political Participation by seeking new partnerships, cultivating possible donors, and representing ARI’s work through diverse media; advocacy actions and forums; presentations and participation in conferences and policy dialogues; and participation in national, regional, and international forums.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Supervise the design and implementation of Monitoring and Evaluation and lead technical planning for contingency and emergency responses as needs arise.
- Manage the multi-cultural project staff teams that sit in Beirut, Paris, and Brussels. This includes assigning clear roles and responsibilities, providing effective supervision, and managing performance to ensure efficient operations.
- Minimum Master’s degree in Political Science, Management, International Relations, Development or related field.
- Extensive expertise/experience in the field of Women, Peace, and Security/UN 1325 and/or women’s political participation in the MENA region. This can include research expertise with a proven publications record; work in the policy arena in favour of the WPS agenda and its application in MENA; or proven practitioner experience in NGOs. Top candidates will have a combination of expertise.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in a leadership position and managing, designing, implementing, and evaluating large multi-country and multi-stakeholder projects. Prior experience managing European Union-funded projects is highly desirable.
- Outstanding policy writing and speaking skills, and ability to translate research into policy ideas and recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability to liaise and advocate with governments, donors, policy centres and think tanks, and other key stakeholders including other implementing agencies.
- Outstanding organization skills and rigour with detail, and ability to manage many different moving parts at the same time.
- Outstanding written and spoken English and Arabic is essential, French desirable.
- Commitment to being a collaborative team player who will help ARI reach its objectives.
- 3-year full-time contract
- Start date: Expected by 01 March 2021 at the latest.
- Competitive Salary based on experience
How to apply:
To apply, please send your CV (max. two pages) and a cover letter describing your qualifications and motivations for the position to: admin (at) arab-reform.net with the reference SAWT-PD in the email subject.
The closing date is: 19 February 2021
Candidates must have the right to work in Lebanon (or the country where they propose to base themselves).
Given the expected number of applications, ARI will only contact short-listed candidates.
ARI is committed to equality of opportunity and to non-discrimination for all job applicants and employees, and we seek to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce regardless of gender, race, religious beliefs, nationality, ethnic/national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
Apply to Job