Programme Manager (Labour Mobility and Human Development)
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Position Title: Programme Manager (Labour Mobility and Human Development)
Duty Station: Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 23 February 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People's Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission, and in close coordination with the different units of the mission in Burkina Faso, the relevant Regional Thematic Specialists (RTS) in the Regional Office (RO) in Dakar, and relevant divisions in Headquarters (HQ), the successful candidate will be responsible for effective coordination and management of the Labour Migration and Human Development programming, and Migration, Environment and Climate Change’s portfolio development of IOM Burkina Faso.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Manage and coordinate the LHD programme activities of IOM Burkina Faso and oversee implementation, reporting, monitoring and evaluation of relevant projects, including the YEM project, in a timely manner and in close coordination with relevant colleagues and implementing partners.
Manage and coordinate the ongoing MECC project in Burkina Faso and advise CoM in strengthening substantively the MECC programming.
Identify and document emerging labour migration trends in Burkina Faso, prepare briefs and other written materials to facilitate resource mobilization and other strategic engagements with key partners.
Serve as the focal point for the mission’s work related to mainstreaming migration in the SDGs in close coordination with the Chief of mission and other programme managers; Follow-up on the work of the UN Country Team and provide inputs to ensure the integration of migration in inter-agency planning and programming.
Manage and monitor budget and resource utilization for LHD, MECC and related projects in close coordination with the mission’s Resources Management Officer (RMO); prepare and coordinate interim and final project reports in a timely manner to donors. Support the development of programmes and projects to promote safe and regular labour migration to and from Burkina Faso, identify anticipated synergies between thematic areas in close coordination with other programme managers and in collaboration with donors and key stakeholders.
Serve as thematic technical resource and deliver trainings and capacity building initiatives for IOM staff in the mission and for government officials as requested.
Establish and maintain liaison with and provide substantive technical advice and expertise to relevant government authorities and other bodies including civil society and private sector to further build their capacity to manage labour migration.
Ensure proper visibility of LHD project initiatives throughout project implementation periods, in coordination with the CoM and the Communications Unit of IOM Burkina Faso.
Foster and strengthen partnerships and contribute to the implementation of existing and potential cooperation agreements with key strategic partners including International Labour Organization (ILO), African Development Bank, as well as private sector and other stakeholders. This shall include the development of position papers, visibility materials and joint studies.
Undertake duty travel as required.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, Economics, International Relations, International Development, Social Sciences, Public Health or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience;
• Professional experience in the field of Environmental Sustainability and Climate change is an advantage.
• Experience in development-related field including experience in the WCA region. Specific experience in skills development training, entrepreneurship and labour market promotion are assets;
• Understanding of and experience with the UN Development system is an advantage;
• Familiarity with peculiarities and problems of labour market in low-income countries, namely the relationship between labour market behaviour and economic cycles, as well as pattern of informality, mobility and migration;
• Experience in liaising with government authorities, other national/international institutions and donors and maintain effective working relationships with government authorities, and other project partners.
• Excellent knowledge of migration management principles, concepts and techniques;
• Sound knowledge of migration related issues, including migration drivers, economic and social conditions of migrants in Burkina Faso;
• Ability to supervise and lead staff effectively to achieve desired goals;
• Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team and with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds;
• Familiarity with a multitude of international development and humanitarian areas of intervention;
• Familiarity with project management;
• Demonstrable know-how on partnership management and work in synergy with various portfolios;
• Demonstrable knowledge of development, political and humanitarian issues of countries in the Sahel region;
• Good knowledge of financial and administrative management as well as resources mobilization skills;
• Excellent trouble-shooting and problem solving skills;
• Excellent report writing skills and level of computer literacy.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 23 February 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 10.02.2021 to 23.02.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2021 30 Programme Manager (Labour Mobility and Human Development) (P3) Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso (56846348) Released
Posting: Posting NC56846349 (56846349) Released
Apply to Job