Programme Associate – GLOMOS
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
United Nations University
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development, and dissemination of knowledge in furtherance of the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
UNU Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS)
UNU-EHS, established in December 2003, is part of the UNU system, a worldwide network of research and training Institutes. Its mission is to advance human security through knowledge-based approaches to reducing vulnerability and environmental risks. For more information, please visit https://ehs.unu.edu/.
Eurac Research is located in the heart of the Alps in the multilingual region of South Tyrol, Italy. Eurac is a private, non-profit, interdisciplinary research center in Bolzano established in 1992. With 15 institutes, Eurac Research provides expertise and develops practical solutions in the fields of environment, migration, minority rights, medicine, energy, and innovative technologies. Eurac contributes to healthy societies, fostering in particular the development of mountain regions as well as the livelihood of their communities, and supports the management of social, cultural and ecological diversity.
UNU-EHS and Eurac Research have recently initiated a new joint research programme. The Global Mountain Safeguard Research (GLOMOS) programme combines the scientific profiles and capacities of both institutions and envisions the enhancement of disaster risk reduction (DRR), climate change adaptation (CCA), emergency response preparedness (ERP), and sustainable development in global mountain regions. GLOMOS seeks to increase the resilience of mountain communities towards natural and man-made hazards and disaster risks, to protect the wealth of biological and cultural diversity, and to support the sustainable development of these highly sensitive social-ecological systems. The GLOMOS mission is to turn science into action by strengthening solution-oriented and innovative management of disaster risks in mountains through an integrative approach fostering transdisciplinary research and technology transfer. The GLOMOS programme provides a bridge between science and global conventions: the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (SFDRR), the Paris Climate Agreement, the New Urban Agenda, and the Sustainable Development Goals.
Under the authority of the Director of UNU-EHS and the Director of Eurac Research, and the supervision of Head of the GLOMOS Bolzano office, the successful candidate will be entrusted with the following tasks:
- Develop and design research questions and sharpen the scientific profile of the GLOMOS programme with a particular focus on social science/multidisciplinary activities and topics;
- Contribute to fund-raising activities for the GLOMOS programme;
- Engage in scientific publications and support the communication and dissemination of GLOMOS activities and project results including the provision of web-content;
- Support ongoing scientific project activities in scientific and management tasks;
- Support planning, organization and documentation of GLOMOS events, conferences, and strategic meetings;
- Support the establishment, maintenance and documentation of networks and relationships with other international actors and institutions active in the area of mountain research;
- Assist in monitoring financial and project budgetary status of projects and provide officers responsible with information as required.
Required Qualifications and Experience
· Master’s degree or its equivalent in a scientific discipline relevant for the thematic areas of GLOMOS, preferably in the area of social sciences;
- At least 2 (two) years of professional experience related to scientific project/programme support or implementation, preferably in an international environment;
· Familiarity with a diverse range of scientific methods and associated software particularly in qualitative research and analysis;
- Experience in the planning, organization and documentation of events, conferences, and strategic meetings;
- Excellent communication and writing skills with respect to scientific as well as non-scientific texts;
· Proven experience in writing scientific project proposals and in project reporting;
· Public speaking/presentation as well as training and moderation skills would be an asset;
- Familiarity with mountain environments and with existing international mountain research networks and related scientific institutions would be an asset;
- Knowledge and experience of processes and procedures of United Nations agencies or international organizations would be an asset;
- Self-reflective team player with strong networking and interpersonal skills, and experience in working in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Willingness and capability of travelling and working in mountainous, higher altitude regions;
· Fluency in English is required, good knowledge of Italian and German is highly desired, fluency in any additional language, especially French or Spanish, is an asset.
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious, and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organization.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
Remuneration will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Duration of contract
This is a full-time (40hrs/week) employment on a one (1) year Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with the possibility of renewal subject to satisfactory work performance and availability of funds, with the combined duration of appointments not exceeding six (6) years.
This is a locally recruited post, and no relocation allowances apply. The duty station for this position is Bolzano, Italy. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil servant status nor is he/she a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations.
As soon as possible
How to apply:
Interested applicants should submit their applications online through Impactpool must upload the following documents:
- a cover letter setting out how your qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position;
- a curriculum vitae.
- full contact information of three referees; and the application must also indicate the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2021/UNU/EHS/GLOMOS/PSA/PA/05).
Apply to Job