Livelihoods and Food Security (LFS) Project Manager Syria Response AO6
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
NRC currently has more than 2,000 staff in the Middle East region assisting people displaced by conflict in Syria. As a leading humanitarian organization, we support displaced persons by implementing programmes across the Shelter, Education, Food Security, Information Counseling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) sectors with strong protection and resilience focus integrated into our programmes.
The Syrian crisis is almost into its 9th year, but the level and intensity of the conflict in the country remains high. Humanitarian and protection needs inside Syria are overwhelming. Ongoing conflict and continued displacement compound a complex emergency situation. According to UN OCHA, 13.6 million people are in need of humanitarian assistance in Syria and millions have been forced to flee. More than 1.4 million displacements were recorded in 2019. More than 6.5 million are internally displaced and many have fled the war-torn country, including 5.5 million refugees across the region.
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
Duties and responsibilities
The purpose of the LFS Project Manager position is to implement delegated LFS project portfolio.
The following is a brief description of the role.
- Line management for project staff.
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures.
- Contribute to the development of Country, Area and LFS strategies, initiate and participate in the development of relevant LFS projects.
- Coordinate and manage LFS projects implementation (activities, budget and project documentation) in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements.
- Implement technical direction and ensure high technical quality of projects.
- Provide regular progress reports to the Programme Manager and the Programme Development Manager (PDM).
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist.
- Develop and manage project budget (in cooperation with the PDM) and coordinate across Core Competencies.
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills.
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders.
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
- Strengthen the LFS partnership with local actors by selecting the partner agencies, building their capacity, monitoring their performance and ensuring compliance with NRC and donors regulations.
- Design and develop program approaches, modalities and activities that can be piloted and expanded to other project areas.
- Expand the LFS portfolio by exploring different types of programming and translating them into concept notes and proposals.
- Represent NRC in technical coordination fora at Area Office level.
- Responsible for providing timely and methodical needs assessment and support multi-sectoral emergency preparedness and response to inform programme design and advocacy efforts.
- Ensure appropriate Financial and Logistical NRC systems/procedures are adhered to within the LFS team and partners including timely and accurate development of procurement plans, recruitment plans, and spending plans per project/agreement and ensure the same is shared with relevant support colleagues.
By critical interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons, but not under the position’s line management. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Strategy and project planning: Program Development Manager
- Proposal development: Programme Manager, Grants Coordinator, Program Unit, Area Support functions
- Area operations: Area Manager, Support manager, Security Coordinator, Field Office Coordinator
- Staff capacity building: PDM, Project staff, Human Resources Coordinator
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
Required Professional Competencies:
- Minimum 3 years of experience from a senior level project implementation position in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Technical Food Security and Livelihoods expertise
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
Required Behavioural Competencies:
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies, and the following are essential for this position:
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Managing performance and development
- Empowering and building trust
- Handling insecure environments
- Planning and delivering results
Context related skills, knowledge and experience:**
- Knowledge of the Syrian crisis context
- Knowledge of Arabic an asset
- Experience in wide range of LFS programming (in-kind, Cash, business, agriculture…) in both, emergency and early recovery contexts
- Experience in needs assessment, project monitoring and evaluation, and programme development
- Experience with remote management and partnership
- Experience with assessments, start-up and exit an asset
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the NRC Performance Management Manual. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job Description
- The Work and Development Plan
- The NRC Competency Framework
We Can Offer
- Contract period: 12 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s Iraq salary scale and terms and conditions.
- Duty station: Amman, Jordan NRC is an equal opportunity employer and aims to have staffing diversity in terms of age, gender, ethnicity, nationality, and physical ability.
How to apply:
Please apply via this link:
Apply to Job