NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Summary of the role
Muslim is looking for a Trustee with a professional background in Legal.
Candidates should have a good understanding of contemporary charitable activity in the UK and internationally and will help the Board develop our strategic aims and provide insight and support to achieve these aims - to constructively challenge our executive management team and to provide robust governance.
We are also looking to ensure a diverse make-up of the new Board in terms of gender and international linkages. We are also looking for individuals who can bring commitment, enthusiasm, creativity and thoroughness to the governance function. An ability to attend quarterly board meetings is a requirement. While implementation of strategic decisions of the Board will largely be in the hands of the CEO and leadership team, there may also be a need for some trustees to be involved in committees for established for specific purposes.
There are big challenges ahead, but we have the passion, belief and ambition to meet them. If you share our belief and commitment to improving the lives of those in need, we very much look forward to hearing from you and perhaps, welcoming you on board.
About the Role:
The main responsibilities of this role will be to:
- Giving strategic direction to the charity; setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets
- Agreeing key strategic principles and policies and, when required, procedures for agreeing ad-hoc, exceptional, matters which fall outside established policy provisions
- Ensuring compliance with legal, statutory and regulatory responsibilities
- Ensuring the charity acts within the constraints of its constitution;
- Safeguarding Muslim Aid’s good name and values;
- Ensuring that the charity’s governance is at the highest possible standard;
- Guarding the long-term ability to advance the charity’s objectives, holding its assets in trust for the benefit of current and future beneficiaries;
- Maintaining oversight of the charity’s fundraising
- Ensure the financial stability, effective and efficient administration of the charity, reviewing and approving financial strategies and monitoring income and expenditure, to ensure the organisation is in good financial health;
- Manage risk (legal, security, reputational) and determine risk appetite;
- Protect and manage the property of the charity;
- Monitor the human resource and organisational development strategies and their implementation
To be successful in this role:
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- Direct experience of operating within the voluntary and community sector organisations as a trustee
- Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
- Strategic vision
- Problem solving and conflict resolution/change management.
- Legislative and operating framework for charities/voluntary and community sector organisations
- Knowledge of the principles of corporate governance
- Strong commitment to Muslim Aid’s mission, visions and values
The next step
Why you should apply
By becoming a Trustee, you have the opportunity to not just talk about how charities should be run but rather do something about it yourself. The role allows you to utilise your skills and make the changes you want to see. By joining Muslim Aid, you have the opportunity to work towards a cause that you feel passionate about and be a part of something special.
Muslim Aid’s recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to the safety and protection of children and vulnerable adults in our care/employment. Successful candidates will be expected to undergo a DBS check. In addition, all successful candidates for finance roles will undergo an Experian Credit Check.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief or age.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications will be accepted until closing date, however, Muslim Aid reserves the right to initiate interviews and the selection process on a rolling basis with the aim of identifying an appropriate candidate as quickly as possible.
NOTE: We will review your application and see if you are a good fit for the position, and for us. Due to the volume of applicants, we are unable to contact everyone so if you are selected to continue to the interview process, we will be in contact with you.
How to apply:
Please click on the following link for applications: https://www.muslimaid.org/vacancies/trustee-x-3-and-co-opted-member-x-2/
Apply to Job