KSEIP Human Resources Coordinator
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Employer: Village Enterprise
Industry: Nonprofit/International Development/Social Entrepreneurship
Function: Human Resource
Job Title: KSEIP Human Resources Coordinator**
Position Type: Full time
Duration: 2 Years (Subject to performance and availability of funds)**
Reports to: Director of Talent Management**
Location: Nairobi with frequent travel to Makueni, Murang’a, Taita Taveta and Kisumu**
Organization Overview: Village Enterprise’s mission is to end extreme poverty in rural Africa through entrepreneurship and innovation. Village Enterprise targets the poor, provides business training, seed capital/startup funds, and on-going mentoring to over 10,000 new entrepreneurs to start 3,000 enterprises each year. Since its inception in 1987, Village Enterprise has started over 40,000 micro-enterprises.
About the Job:
The Government of Kenya with funding from the World Bank has contracted the GDI Led Consortium (comprised of GDI, BOMA Project, and Village Enterprise) to provide technical assistance to support the implementation of the economic inclusion pilot under the Kenya Social and Economic Inclusion Project (KSEIP).
The Department of Social Development (DSD) in the Ministry of Labour and Social Protection together with the GDI led Consortium aims to test economic inclusion interventions in five pilot counties (Kisumu, Makueni, Marsabit, Murang'a, and Taita Taveta) to establish good practices and a replicable model for potential future scale-up in Kenya. The overarching goals of the 3-year project are: i) to create improved social and economic outcomes for 7,500 extreme poor in 5 Counties, and ii) support the State Department of Social Protection to have the capacity and tools to lead and scale Economic Inclusion in Kenya.
Reporting to the Director of Talent Management, the KSEIP Human Resources Coordinator will support and contribute towards the achievement of the overall strategic business plans and objectives of the human resource function of the program. Specifically, s/he is responsible for staff recruitment and placement, staff policy implementation and ensuring HR activities are conducted in line with Village Enterprise policies and procedures and in accordance with Kenya employment laws.
Your primary job duties and responsibilities shall include, but are not limited to:
· Implementation of HR Strategies and Policies
· Coordinating Staff recruitment, Induction and retention
· Ensuring Legal Compliance in all processes
· Facilitating implementation of Staff Professional Development activities
Detailed Roles and Responsibilities
1. Implementation of HR Strategies and Policies
· Provide administration of the HRIS system to ensure staff have access to the systems and information is up to date.
· Make suggestions for improvement of the HR system, policies and procedures and contribute to their definition, elaboration and implementation
· Support initiatives geared towards creation of a safe, healthy and happy workplace
· Create and track employment contracts
· Maintain an active and organized data bank of applicants for various positions
· Develop procedures for staff retirement taking into consideration any packages that might come with it
· Maintain and update Field Staff HR Manual, working closely with other HR staff and legal Counsel to maintain legal compliance in liaison with the Director of Talent Management
· Develop Manual for any HR activities that fall outside of core HR manual
· Source, manage and maintain insurance contacts ensuring staff benefits are well handled, and timely renewal of insurance schemes
· Interpret Leave policy to staff for all leave types to ensure proper usage while ensuring proper planning and leave management in the system and as a practice.
· Maintain staff data ensuring personal files are frequently updated with relevant information
· Preparation of HR reports as requested from time to time
2. Coordinating Staff recruitment, Induction and retention **
· Coordination of transparent and competitive recruitment and selection processes.
· Review, standardize and prepare recruitment materials including job descriptions, job specifications, adverts and interview questions for positions to be filled
· Carry out short listing, coordinate & participate in interviews
· Manage all new hire employment forms
· Plan and conduct/coordinate new employee orientation including provision of information about policies, job duties, working conditions, wages, and opportunities for promotion and employee benefits etc.
· In consultation with the Country Director and Director of Talent Management, advice staff changes on a monthly basis in preparation of the payroll and submission to Finance by 20th of every month
3. Ensuring Legal Compliance
· Display in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risk and ensuring regulatory compliance.
· Ensure recovery of all organization items in possession of any staff departing from the organization
· Act as the focal point on the administration of complaint/grievance and disciplinary matters and processes ensuring clear documentation of process.
· Ensure exit interviews are carried out and appropriate records are maintained
4. Facilitating implementation of Staff professional Development activities **
· Assist field management team with development of professional development goals for staff
· Ensure that all promotions are properly justified and documented both in terms of performance and compensation.
· Work with different team leads to facilitate completion of Performance Reviews within the stipulated period, and develop appropriate tools for staff capacity building
5. Any other tasks that may be deemed necessary
A Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource management, Business Administration, Social Sciences, or other related academic discipline.
A higher diploma in Human Resources Management is an added advantage
Minimum 3 years’ relevant human resources management experience in a corporate or INGO environment;
Member of IHRM
Excellent planning, coordination, and reporting skills, with the ability to organize substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities;
Strong communication, people management and interpersonal skills in English, with experience in working with international staff.
Expertise in HR Information Systems is an added advantage
Knowledge of facilitating adult learning.
Ability to negotiate, advocate and influence effectively.
Listening, coaching and counselling skills with ability to manage change effectively.
How to apply:
How to Apply: Interested and qualified candidates who meet the set criteria are invited to register and apply through:
Apply to Job