Junior accountant | Mozambique | 2021
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Chemonics seeks a junior accountant to join our team. The junior accountant will provide support to project accounting and financial management support to the team in accordance with the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) and Chemonics rules and regulations. The junior accountant will adhere to and act in accordance with Chemonics’ professional code of ethics, “Living Our Values,” and will make the principles of the code a part of the program’s culture and operating procedures. He/she will uphold Potenciar’s safeguarding standards at all times and will promote a safeguarding culture among partners, beneficiaries, and staff. The junior accountant will also ensure that professional and transparent relationships are maintained with all staff, project partners, donors, counterparts, vendors, and others with whom he/she interacts, throughout the life of the project. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Oversee the processing of accounting transactions according to the general principles of accounting and adhere to home office field accounting manual procedures
- Prepare procurement transactions and payments, ensuring that all supporting documentation and approvals are accurate.
- Receive and manage invoices from vendors to ensure timely payment by the project
- Review copies of all receipts for all expenses
- Facilitate provision of information and documentation during audits.
- Review expense reports
- Enter accounting transactions into the accounting software (ABACUS).
- Prepare bank reconciliation process
- Maintain the project’s accounting files system (Physical and electronic). Make sure all vouchers are in order, completed properly and have bank slips/copy of checks attached
- Support payroll processing each month for Chemonics employees and prepare salary receipt/payroll forms, as required
- Liaise with income tax authority and remit employee withholdings on a monthly basis, as required
- Serve as the primary point of contact with the home office Field Accounting and Support Team (FAST) representative.
- Prepare coding sheets before they are sent to the Finance and Operations Lead and/or Team Leader for review and approval
- Prepare monthly wire transfer requests through a thorough analysis of projected project expenditures
- Support the Operations and Finance Lead in subcontractor management by reviewing and monitoring monthly subcontractor invoices
- Follow client and Chemonics policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Explain generally accepted accounting principles, FCDO and Chemonics regulations to staff and consultants, as necessary
- Perform other general bookkeeping duties as needed and other duties as may be assigned
- Degree in Accounting and Auditing, Economics, Business Management and Administration or related field
- 2 years of demonstrated experience in similar positions (development programs)
- Knowledge of FCDO or USAID financial and management systems, regulations, and reporting requirements preferred but necessary
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluency in Portuguese and English required
How to apply:
Please send an email with your CV and cover letter attached and “Junior Accountant” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 26, 2021. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.
Apply to Job