Irrigation-Water Management Officer Jowhar Somalia
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Duration: 1 months’ probationary contract, renewable in 7 months term contract after the probationary period;
Place of duty: Jowhar Districts, Somalia
Tentative starting date: 10th March 2021
CEFA (The European Committee for Training and Agriculture) is an Italian Non-Governmental Organization established in 1972 and active in 10 Countries in Africa, Latin America and Eastern Europe. CEFA’s medium- and long-term interventions in agricultural, environmental and Human Rights sector are focused on the sustainable development of the communities, achieved by involving local counterparts and by promoting the active participation of the beneficiaries
The objective of the position.
CEFA is implementing a multisectoral emergency response to humanitarian crisis intervention REBOOT - (dib u bilaw) - From Food Security Emergency Relief to Economic Development of Jowar’s Agricultural Sector. The REBOOT project intervenes in Jowhar district to respond to the food security emergency exacerbated by the recent floods and contribute to the economic recovery of the agricultural sector, limiting the socio-economic impact of the Covid19 pandemic in Somalia.
CEFA will work closely with the local government/authorities and other partners during implementation. CEFA then requires a competent Irrigation Officer to support the implementation of canal rehabilitation work, cash for work activity, irrigation system design, training on operational and maintenance of irrigation canal and other roles on a day-to-day basis.
The position will coordinate closely with field staff and will implementing, monitoring and survey irrigation construction rehabilitation and cash for work coordination and specifically for irrigation training on O&M.
Qualification and Experience
· Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in any of the following disciplines: Civil, Agricultural Engineering, Soil, Water and Environment Engineering, Land and Water Management or its equivalent qualification from a recognized institution/university
· Minimum 5 years’ experience working in the water and irrigation sectors especially in Middle and Lower Shebelle Regions of Somalia has assets.
· Experience in Construction of open/surface or Canals irrigation systems (at least two projects)
· Experience in survey and design, quality control, construction management and ability to train other persons;
· 2 years’ experience in Operation and Maintenance of Canals irrigation systems
· Previous experience working with international organizations and NGOs on a similar project.
· Ability to generate and interpret technical drawings.
- Excellent communication capabilities.
- Computer literacy.
- Languages: English
- Strong commitment and Integrity
- Flexibility, availability to perform other duties.
- Team Player
· Identifying irrigation schemes for development;
· Collecting and compiling data for irrigation planning;
· Organizing farmers’ meetings for irrigation participatory development;
· Setting up of demonstration plots;
· Undertaking feasibility studies and preliminary investigations.
· Conducting designs of irrigation infrastructure and develop BoQs
· Supervising contractors and consultants working on irrigation projects for the Employer
.Training on Operational and Maintainance of Canal Irrigation
The incumbent reports hierarchically to the Reboot Project Coordinator
Apply by: 28th February 2021 - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Salary – Negotiable based on experience
Start date – 10th March 2021
How to apply:
Apply by: 28th February 2021 - Email to: email@example.com
Interested candidates should send their CV, a self-presentation letter and, possibly, the details of at least 3 people for professional references to or submitting personally the application to firstname.lastname@example.org within the 28th of February 2021
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by telephone or email; the job interview will be held on skype or WhatsApp. A written test will be held during the interview.
Apply to Job