Head of Field Office in Bokhtar (Senior Programme Associate, G7)
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
To plan, implement and coordinate the WFP field operations to ensure the effective and efficient deployment of food assistance programmes.
WFP Boktar Field Office coordinates the programme implementation activities in the Khatlon region with relevant government institutions and other partners, including school meals, nutrition, and climate change adaptation programmes, as well as emergency preparedness and response activities.
Based in Bokhtar, the incumbent directly reports to the Deputy Country Director of WFP Tajikistan.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Plan, implement and coordinate the WFP field operations in the Khatlon region to ensure effective and efficient delivery of food assistance and that daily operational issues are timely resolved to prevent losses or delays;
- Contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reporting of the Field Office. Oversee the preparation of all other reports as well as proposals to the CO Cooperating Partner Committee (CPC) to ensure a high quality and timely delivery;
- Conduct timely monitoring and evaluation of activities and prepare accurate and comprehensive reports on WFP’s operations and performance with regular and timely submission for Country Office review to inform efficient operational planning and decisions;
- Build effective and collaborative relations with the local authorities and contribute to the expertise sharing and capacity building for effective preparedness and response to food assistance needs;
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, partners and national government to prepare for and respond to food assistance needs, e.g. through project management support of learning initiatives.
- Initiate, develop and maintain productive relationships with key partners and advocate for food security, serving as an effective ambassador for WFP at coordination meetings, conferences and other events;
Effectively manage the Field Office to ensure individual and team objectives are delivered to agreed standards and deadlines;
Conduct timely and efficient management of allocated resources (human resources, petty-cash, and facilities) and ensure that allocated resources are used efficiently and are in line with agreed plans; timely recorded and reported, and any deviations are reported to the Country Office;
Hold accountability for the security of WFP staff, operations, premises and assets in the Field Office to ensure that WFP security and safety standards are locally set and followed. Actively participate and contribute to the Area Security Management Team (ASMT);
Provide technical advice or mobilize technical expertise on programme and policy issues to support the government efforts to reduce hunger and malnutrition;
Support to ensure internal control and compliance of operations with WFP’s policies, criteria and procedures with respect to food assistance, under the guidance of the CO compliance focal point;
Ensure extensive and frequent presence at project areas, distribution sites and centres;
Other duties as required.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of humanitarian assistance and development practices;
- Good understanding of project lifecycle, humanitarian principles and tools, programmes and transfer modalities;
- Familiarity with planning and implementing humanitarian and development assistance;
- Ability to explain strategies and projects to field counterparts and communicate with local governments and partners clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Good analytical skills, ability to provide technical advice, or mobilize technical expertise, on a range of programmatic, operational and support areas;
- Ability to motivate staff for efficient and effective delivery of results;
- Negotiation and motivational skills;
- Good understanding of business principles and processes and the ability to quickly assimilate UN/WFP specific processes and systems;
- Ability to cope with situations which may threaten health or safety;
- Ability to work harmoniously with people of different national and cultural background;
- Resourcefulness, initiative and problem-solving skills.
- Have led a small team to ensure the effective delivery of results;
- Participated in a vendor/government/ partner negotiation within area of focus;
- Work experience and/or knowledge about the Khatlon region is an advantage.
Education: Advanced University degree in Economics, International Development, Social Sciences or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language and Tajik. Fluency in both Tajik and Russian is advantage.
Female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should complete their applications on-line on WFP website on the following link: https://career5.successfactors.eu/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=138061&company=C0000168410P
Applicants will have to register and create on-line CVs to be able to apply. Hard copies of CVs or applications through e-mail will not be accepted. Please ensure that your application contains accurate and complete information.
Apply to Job