Goodwill Ambassador (GWA) Consultant, (Associate Communications Officer)
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
GWA Consultant (Associate Communications Officer)
Goodwill Ambassadors Section (GWA), Global Communications Service (GCS),
Division of External Relations (DER)
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering a full time position within the Global Communications Service in our office in London, UK.
Based within the Division for External Relations, the Goodwill Ambassador (GWA) Section is recruiting a GWA Consultant (Associate Communications Officer). This is a unique opportunity for the right person to join a high performing team and develop their career in working with high profile supporters for the furtherance of humanitarian goals.
UNHCR is a global organisation dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in 135 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
- Title: GWA Consultant (Associate Communications Officer)
- Duty Station: London, UK
- Duration: 1 April to 31 December 2021
- Contract Type: Individual Contractor Agreement LICA-9 (P2/NOB equivalent)
- Closing date: 14 February 2021 23:59 GMT;
- Interviews: First round: 22/23 February 2021. Second round: 24 February 2021
- Start date: 1 April 2021
The Goodwill Ambassador (GWA) Section seeks to utilise celebrity and high profile support to leverage the strategic communications, fundraising and advocacy goals of UNHCR.
Under the supervision of a Senior External Relations (GWA) Officer, this consultant will provide over-arching communications support to the work of the overall GWA Team by delivering timely and strategic global communication strategies and/or the development/execution of GWA related global media and PR projects, including global media strategies for individual projects, media pitching, writing documents/guidelines, press releases and stories, monitoring and evaluation, as well as crisis communications.
These outputs will support UNHCR’s key strategic communication, public engagement and fundraising goals. This will focus on global media/communications, including both hard news placement as well as lifestyle and specialist interest media as well as providing expert advice as requested to national GWA focal points on their specific needs. The consultant may also provide advice and ideas related to social media and digital initiatives, documentaries as needed.
Duties and responsibilities
In addition to the above, the role will involve the following duties and responsibilities:
o Drafting specific individuals’ comms plans and creative concepts for comms as required
o Ad hoc media outreach and response to incoming media queries, consulting as needed with relevant colleagues
o Specific announcements related to new GWA appointments
o Media relationship building and pitching
o Proactively strategizing and executing placement of feature and long-lead media involving GWA and targeted at key audiences in priority markets, liaising as needed with relevant colleagues in GCS and regionally
o Crisis Communications and risk management
o To work with different GWA managers and GWA Associate Content Officer to help ensure all media and PR materials for the specific project are produced to standard and on time, and that assets are delivered to media partner to deadline and specification. This may include some liaison with GWA publicists, internal stakeholders etc
o To ensure that in all activities there are clear aims and objectives, approved messaging and If Asked Lines, and KPIs against which to measure and evaluate.
o In consultation with GWA officers who directly manage GWA relationships and outputs, to assist as required in filming and producing celebrity based content for specific fundraising and communications campaigns, events and partnerships
o Research and communications strategies for documentaries.
o Monitoring and evaluation advice / Impact reporting focal point for media/comms in GWA
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
• University degree (BA or Masters);
• At least 5 years working within media/communications sector, preferably with experience of working with high profile individuals and in the UN/NGO/ humanitarian sector.
• Demonstrated ability and experience of delivering communications goals with celebrity support in multiple markets/territories;
• Strong project management skills of complex, fast moving projects;
• Strong communication skills, written and verbal;
• Demonstrated experience of managing crisis communications scenarios
• Strong networks in the media/PR world
• Strong interpersonal skills;
• Working to meet multiple deadlines and work under pressure;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
• Ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with international team members;
• Fluency in written and spoken English required. Spanish, Arabic, French as second language preferred.
• Experience of working with UNHCR or another UN agency or INGO including with high profile individuals
The role will be based in London, UK.
As the given duty station is London, applicants should be able to demonstrate permission to legally work in the UK at the point of application and ongoing, without the need for sponsorship. UNHCR is unfortunately unable to assist with any work visa applications/issues/sponsorship. It is a full-time role.
How to apply:
To learn more and to apply, visit https://bit.ly/2Yx8yTF .
Closing date: 14 February 2021 23:59 GMT
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that we are unfortunately unable to notify applicants who have not been selected for interview.
Apply to Job