NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Duty Station: IOM Regional Office for Middle East and North Africa in Cairo, Egypt (RO), (Home-Based)
Type of Appointment: Consultancy Contract for six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 23 February 2021
Reference number: CFCV/RO/2021/02
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Context and Scope:
The IOM Regional Office for the Middle East and North Africa (RO for MENA) based in Cairo, Egypt, provides programme support and technical expertise to IOM Country Offices in the region. Across the Middle East and North Africa, IOM employs approximately 1,500 staff and has offices in Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Tunisia, Yemen, with presence in KSA and UAE.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
· Translate workshops and conference information material, of which may include: PowerPoint Presentations, Concept Notes, Situation reports, Working Papers, Agendas, etc.
· Translate official correspondence to and from respective counterparts.
· Translate public information materials, of which: thematic newsletters, info-sheets and brochures, press releases, audio-visual products etc.
· Translate reports and periodical publications.
· Translate any other content necessary from English to Arabic and vice versa, or from French to Arabic and vice versa, upon request.
Proofreading and Editing:
· Be responsible for proofreading and editing where necessary RO products previously translated into Arabic.
Design and Layout:
· Ensure design and layout of translated documents correspond to the design and layout of the original, English or French documents as required.
Tangible and Measurable Outputs of the Work Assignment
· Translate documents and materials within the context of the Regional Review of the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly, and Regular Migration and the International Migration Review Forum.
· Translate documents, when required, for the UN Network on Migration
· Translate the GCC Sub-Regional Strategy as well as the Regional Study on the Kafala System
· Translate Situation reports, inclusive of humanitarian response, COVID-19 and other materials, such as policy briefs
Required Qualifications and Experience:
· University degree (Bachelor’s or Master’s) in translation with good knowledge of sociological and political terminologies.
· Experience in written translations in all three languages: Arabic, English and French, for clients such as UN agencies, research institutes, human rights organizations, international organizations, translation services or others;
· Excellent knowledge of MS Office;
· Knowledge of InDesign software is preferable;
· Prior work experience with IOM and/or United Nations agencies would be an advantage.**
· Fluency in English, French and Arabic (oral and written) is required.
· Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
· Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
· Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed
manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies: – behavioural indicators
· Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
· Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
· Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
· Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
· Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
The consultant must adhere to the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Data Protection Principles (IN/138) and maintain confidentiality.
The consultant will be responsible for following IOM writing guidelines and latest glossaries in all given assignments for accurate translation.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this Call for CV is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
A prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications through the following official email “ROCAIROHR@iom.int” on or before the 23 February 2021.
Late submissions will not be considered. Applications with missing documents will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
Please clearly indicate in the subject line of your email the position title and reference number “Freelance Translator, CFCV/RO/2021/02”.
Interested Candidates are expected to submit the following documents:
CV (All past work experience, technical and professional skills, and three references)
2 samples of translation
Kindly note that for efficiency reasons, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 09.02.2021 to 23.02.2021
Apply to Job