Food Security Programme Manager
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit-making, politically independent, non-governmental and non-denominational relief organization.
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been operational in Cameroon since 2017 to support Central African Refugees in the eastern part of the country (Adamawa) and in South-Region region for IDPs and host communities’ victims of the anglophone conflict. DRC Cameroon currently implements Protection, Food Security and Livelihood and Education in Emergency projects.
The DRC Cameroon is looking to recruit an experienced, highly-qualified and enthusiastic professional to implement DRC Food Security response to the anglophone crisis and provide overall coordination and management to the Food Security programme teams in Buea.
The Food Security Manager will be based in Buea and she/ he is a key contributor to DRC response to the anglophone crisis.
This position is a management one, requiring a strong previous experience in Food Security programmes’ delivery in crises settings. This position also requires strong skills in people management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the responsibility of the Area Manager and with a technical liability to the Economic Recovery (ECREC) Regional Coordinator, the Food Security Programme Manager is responsible for the timely and result-driven programme implementation of DRC Cameroon food security intervention. This includes, of course, excellent understanding of the project content and expected outcomes, technical capability in food security and support services processes and strong people management skills.
The main responsibilities and tasks of the Food Security Programme Manager are the following:
Project Management and implementation:
• Coordinate, plan and monitor project activities
• Ensure the highest quality of the sectoral interventions, and the coherence between all projects, ongoing and proposed, according to the overall strategy
• Take leadership of the project programs in terms of high quality and timely deliveries, narrative reporting and financial overviews, close cooperation with donors, Government counterparts and coordination mechanism on site and in synergy with other DRC interventions in the area
• Formalize and develop project related operational tools and training modules
• Provide input for monthly, quarterly and annual donor reports
• Provide overall budget monitoring, financial management and expenses control for the project activities, including compliance with minimum DRC and donor requirements
Program development and strategy :
• Representation of DRC and active participation in sectoral and relevant sub sectors/working groups such as the food security cluster
• Oversee knowledge sharing across teams, and ensure that monitoring and evaluation results are understood and used to improve programs
• Drive the development and growth of the relevant programs within the DRC program objectives and feed into country-wide strategy development
Accountability and reporting :
• Guided by the DRC Programme Handbook, continuously monitor and develop relevant accountability initiatives within relevant project program as well as strengthening the effort to document the impact of activities
• Ensure compliance with internal and external reporting requirements including procurement
People Management (if relevant) :
• Lead and manage project staff members including coaching, ensuring coordination, recruitment, and capacity development
• Provide on the job training as much as required and adapt trainings/coaching to specific staff needs
As Manager the post-holder is responsible for the following:
• Accountable for achieving DRC’s strategic goals and objectives within the area of responsibility
• Accountable for making significant decisions on what the unit does: its purpose, functions and role, and for making commitments and decisions that require the expenditure of significant unit resources.
• Accountable for people management of direct reports, generally at least 3 employees. This includes hiring & firing, objective setting, probation, performance appraisal, development of staff, managing performance, including poor performance, etc.
• Accountable for making sound decisions based on DRC policies, MOPs, standards, and the advice of technical experts in DRC
In addition to the above, the Food Security Programme Manager may be asked to carry out other duties requested by the Area Manager or the Economic Recovery Regional Coordinator.
- Minimum 5 years of proven international experience in NGO projects
- At least 2 years managing voucher projects
- 2 years experience working on food security programming
- At least 3 years' experience with people management
- Capacity to design and implement a market assessment
- Previous experience working in a complex emergency context
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Excellent writing and editing skills for external audiences (including governments and donors)
- Experience in producing high-quality technical material (training material, programme tools, proposals, strategic documents etc.)
- Experience working with Monitoring and Evaluation
However, applicants must be aware that DRC cannot employ, under an expatriate contract, a citizen of the country in which she/ he is going to be stationed (in such case, the Republic of Cameroon).
Required Skills & Qualities
- Core Competencies of DRC:
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating Integrity
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are required
- Multi-tasking and Organizational skills is a must
- Adaptable and Flexible
- Proven analytical and critical thinking skills
- Exemplary sense of ethics in the workplace
- Team-oriented & good sense of humor
- The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework
- Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization
- Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period
- Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization
- Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request
How to apply:
Are you interested? Then apply for this position on line**: Food Security Program Manager (hr-manager.net)** All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English**.**
DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
Applications close on the 17th of February, 2021, at 11:59 pm (GMT - time). Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
Apply to Job