Executive Director, FilmAid
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Internews and FilmAid joined forces in 2018 to expand the power of visually compelling storytelling in our work. With FilmAid now fully in-house at Internews, we are excited to leverage this partnership to apply innovative film programming in Internews' existing media and information support programs in more than 70 countries.
FilmAid and Internews share a vision: every community deserves the news, information, and knowledge they need, when they need it, in languages they understand and from sources they trust. Both organizations advance this vision by nurturing local talent all over the world to produce, distribute and share engaging content that speaks to the needs of their communities, holds power to account, and enriches lives.
We believe in the power of storytelling and the simple, wonderful magic of film. Visual storytelling transcends language and literacy, communicating crucial information while providing sustenance for the soul. The power of film, of a story well told, of a spectacle, of an adventure, or romance can open people's hearts and minds, rekindling joy and providing people with the information they need to make decisions for themselves, their families and their communities.
About the Opportunity
Internews is seeking a creative, collaborative film professional to build our FilmAid brand and portfolio through crafting innovative partnerships with the global film industry that leverage our in-country programs around the world; building a community of practice amongst up-and-coming blobal filmmakers from those countries; and leading outreach and designing fundraising activities to advance this work.
We are seeking a unique individual who loves film and believes in the power of storytelling to create significant and lasting impact in the world. The ideal candidate has deep ties to the film industry, and the ability to leverage those connections to support young filmmakers from Kenya to Ukraine, from Colombia to Afghanistan. This includes creating opportunities for exposure for their films, accessing expert talent for capacity building, raising financial support, and designing and implementing context-specific programs in scores of communities across the globe. A typical week might see you hosting a panel discussion for interested donors, coaching a young filmmaker in Zimbabwe, writing a proposal for a project in Thailand, working with our external affairs team to connect our work to larger film festivals, or piloting approaches for film camps.
Currently, all Internews' Headquarters offices are closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and Internews staff are working remotely until at least 1 July 2021. The ideal candidate for this role will be based in Los Angeles, New York, or DC area. However, this position will function remotely and all remote candidates will be considered.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Leadership and Management
- Serve as Executive Director of FilmAid, a project and sub-brand of Internews; manage and direct the FilmAid brand and associated activities;
- Create a strategy and two-year workplan, including clear tactics for the integration of FilmAid work into Internews representation, business development, programmatic and impact streams;
- Work with the Senior Vice President for Technical Leadership to promote an organization-wide understanding of the vision, strategy and offerings of FilmAid within Internews.
Technical Expertise, Program Design and Implementation
- Build partnerships within the global film industry and pilot FilmAid Camps within Internews projects, leveraging global film industry to inspire future filmmakers and film industries at the local level;
- Provide technical input into program design for proposals and budgets with a focus on evolving and more effectively integrating innovations around film as a method of community engagement;
- Provide inputs to team discussions and decision-making on opportunities for new work, including FilmAid approaches;
- Provide training and mentoring to Internews headquarters and field staff to make a proactive contribution to activities and materials that improve the organization's understanding of FilmAid methodologies and principles and practice of community engagement more broadly;
- Support design and creation of e-learning materials and film courses.
Strategic Partnerships, Fundraising and External Representation
- Strengthen and build current and new strategic partnerships with the film industry in all disciplines, as well as within the US, internationally and regionally;
- Create and identify opportunities for partnerships and collaborations beyond the film industry, with corporate, non-profit, individual, education and community-based groups to broaden and strengthen FilmAid's mission;
- Position Internews and FilmAid to participate in film industry events, including exploring and building relationships to other film festivals to showcase the work of young filmmakers in our programs;
- Work closely with our External Affairs team on events, representation, speaking engagements, etc. Attend seminars, film festivals and other public events to promote FilmAid as a project of Internews;
- Actively support fundraising efforts including donor identification, sponsorship, stewardship, grants, special events, etc., and actively participate in donor cultivation and solicitation;
- Maintain key relationships with existing funders and steward portfolio of major donors and foundations; meet with donors in the field and at Headquarters level to represent FilmAid as a project of Internews.
Values and Flexibility
- Other duties as assigned;
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to Internews' Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- At least five years' experience in film-making, programming, non-profit arts event planning, film exhibition and events, film production or other relevant position required; international experience highly desired
- Deep interest in cinema and film-making, and passionate believer in the power of film and storytelling to change lives
- Demonstrated experience in project management, including design proposals, running programs, setting goals and managing budgets
- Ability to turn ideas into action quickly, and to integrate film into a large media and information non-profit
- Deep relationships within the film industry, including associations, festivals, talent, philanthropy, etc; ability to draw upon existing relationships to forge partnerships
- Demonstrated success in fundraising/sponsorship and individual giving
- Dynamic stage presence and comfort with public speaking to represent FilmAid and Internews at external and industry events
- Experience in film festival programming preferred
- Ability to analyze and intelligently discuss film
- Experience coordinating multiple projects under deadline
- Excellent communication skills in English: speaking, writing, and listening
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate
- Proven ability to set priorities and manage time effectively
- Proven ability to work both independently and as an effective team member
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple ongoing assignments
- Proficiency in MS Office
- Experience with e-learning and virtual consulting helpful, but not required.
How to apply:
To apply, please submit CV and optionally a cover letter through our Careers page.
Apply to Job