Education Technical Advisor
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
CARE International is a humanitarian aid organization fighting global poverty, with a particular focus on working with women and girls to bring lasting change to their communities. As a non-religious and non-political organization, CARE works with communities to help overcome poverty by supporting development projects and providing emergency relief. We believe supporting women and girls is one of the most effective ways to create sustainable outcomes in poor communities.
The Technical Education Advisor will be responsible for the overall technical direction/supervision for the DFID funded, Leave No Girls’ Behind(LNGB)-Adolescent Girls’ Education in Somalia(AGES) under the Urban Youth Program which aims to provide tailored, sustainable solutions to develop literacy, numeracy and key life skills for the most marginalized girls in South Somalia. AGES will target the hardest to reach among girls out of school, specifically girls engaged in child labour, married and divorced girls, internally displaced persons (IDPs), girls from minority clans and excluded groups, and pastoralists. The Education Technical Advisor will work very closely with the Ministries of Education Federal Government of Somalia, Jubaland State of Somalia and South West Administration state of Somalia. The incumbent will be based in Kismayu , Lower Jubba and will be reporting to the Education Initiative Manager.
Responsibilities and Tasks
R1. Technical support to LNGB (AGES) Project (40%)
· Provide technical support to program staff in planning and implementing the project in South Central.
· Ensure that baseline information and data are made available for measuring progress and achievements of the program.
· Lead the development of ABE curriculum guidelines, revision and implementation
· With the support of program staff and M & E Knowledge Manager develop relevant program monitoring systems/tools and ensure their efficient and proper utilization.
· Contribute in the preparation of donor reports in liaison with the Manager, Area Managers and partners, in liaison with CARE’s Operations and Finance departments, to ensure that these are of high quality, reporting clearly on progress towards the outputs, and thus towards meeting the purpose of the program as outlined in the proposal.
R2: Support in the implementation of the project (60%)
· Ensure all project assessments are done and involves all the stakeholders - MOE central, REOs, DEOs, consortium staff, CECs and school heads;
· In collaboration with the MOE central and the regional staff and partners ensure support to the the selection of target schools based on the baseline and the school assessments conducted ensuring that each of the districts identified in the proposal is covered;
· Work closely with the MoE and CECs to develop Selection criteria for Girls scholarship
· Working with project staff, CECs and school heads promote community engagement with the target schools making them focal points for community interaction;
· working closely with CECs, MOE central and decentralized levels oversee school infrastructure assessment and improvement
· Working closely with the program team, engage the Community Education Committees in the enrolment of out of school girls.
· In collaboration with the program team and the MOE, participate actively in the recruitment and training of ABE teachers ensuring greater advocacy that female teachers compose at least 50% of the recruitment.
Decision –Making Authority
The Education Advisor will report directly to the Education Initiative Manager LNGB (AGES) project and will lead the technical component of the project.
The Education Technical Advisor maintains relations, and works closely with M & E Knowledge Manager, Area Managers, Project Officers, Head of offices, government authorities in the target regions and other international agencies involved with education work in the region. Periodic contact with the donor is also required.
The position is based in Kismayu and requires frequent travel to the project sites for project implementation and technical support.
· Post graduate degree in Education or in a relevant field;
· Minimum of three years’ experience working in Somalia or in the Horn of Africa and a good understanding of sound programming principles;
· Experience working in primary education including child friendly approaches and factors affecting girl’s limited access to education;
· Knowledge of UKAID and other donors programmatic and financial regulations;
· Demonstrated experience managing partnership/institutional strengthening programs;
· Experience in managing and mentoring staff and promoting teamwork;
· Good interpersonal and cross-cultural skills;
· Willingness and experience to work independently in politically unstable security situations in security sensitive areas;
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
· Knowledge of Somalia, its’ culture and political background.
Core Values & Critical Key Competencies
Respect, Integrity, Commitment, Diversity, Stress Tolerance, communicating with Impact, Excellence and Building Partnership
CARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer, promoting gender, equity and diversity; therefore, women are strongly encouraged to apply. Only Short listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
How to apply:
Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CV in a one PDF document to SOM.Recruitment@care.org by referring the job title ''Education Technical Advisor '' as the subject line of the email, latest on Monday, 15th February 2021.
all applications should be accompanied by a CV with a minimum of three traceable and recent references.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information about CARE and its programs, visit www.care.org
CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
CARE is Zero Tolerant organization for child abuse and sexual exploitation and abuses.
Apply to Job