Data Specialist - Syria
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Field Ready is a non-governmental organization that is dedicated to bringing innovation to international disaster relief. Our vision is to meet humanitarian needs by transforming logistics through technology, innovative design and engaging people in new ways. We make useful items to solve problems locally in various sectors such as health, water, and sanitation. We do this by using the latest technology as well as traditional manufacturing. We pass on these skills to others through training and pioneering innovative approaches to the toughest challenges. The impact of this is dramatically improved efficiency in aid delivery by quickly meeting needs and cutting procurement costs. Our approach is truly effective and ground-breaking.
Field Ready is looking for a full-time data specialist to join an expanding program bringing innovative engineering to medical relief in North Western Syria.
Field Ready has been active in North Western Syria since late 2016, making things that are needed locally such as fixing healthcare equipment, making hydroponics kits and search and rescue equipment – of particular note, a locally manufactured replacement for imported airbag kits has been used to rescue civilians trapped under collapsed buildings.
Field Ready is now growing operations focusing on the medical sector, fixing broken parts of high-value medical equipment and locally manufacturing simple medical devices. These items will fix gaps for critical health care services in Syria and support local businesses. The designs will be shared on global platforms so people across the world can also use them to support their healthcare systems.
The role of the Data Specialist is critical to the successful delivery of this project; they will work closely with the engineers to ensure that the needs of the healthcare providers are central in the design process. They will be responsible for ensuring assessments are carried out, for collecting baseline data to help evaluate the effectiveness of our innovative approach and ensuring that engineers and partners incorporate feedback into design. They will support the teams to make sure what we learn in Syria is shared globally.
An effective Data Specialist will combine relevant technical know-how with excellent interpersonal skills and proven self-drive, to contribute to the development of Syria’s innovation program.
The Data Specialist’s responsibilities for this task include but are not limited to:
· Work with the Middle East Impact (MEAL) lead to operationalize the MEAL plan and see systems are used.
· Collect patient impact data from healthcare facilities and work with the engineers to capture product delivery follow-up data, and report progress against indicators accordingly.
· Ensure data consistency and integrity, and ensure data quality issues are systematically captured and clearly communicated to program staff.
· Obtain, compile and analyze data on the program output indicators, including baseline data needed to generate comparisons of effectiveness and impact.
· Collect data required for Field Ready’s work to develop its innovations beyond the scope of any particular project – such as the geographic mapping of manufacturing capabilities using the Open Know-Where standard.
· Assist engineers in the fullest completion of documentation and meta-data regarding every item they design and make, using Field Ready’s internal tracking tools, the Open Know-How standard and OSWHA certification.
· Produce statistical analysis and reports on project data on request, this may include dashboarding.
· Maintain program databases and ensure the timely update of records.
· Ensure there is provision for data security (including strict data handling and confidentiality protocols), weekly backup and recovery control (all data is retrievable in an emergency).
· Provide support in the development of measurement, data management and reporting strategy including impact assessments and the commissioning of independent external evaluations.
· Regularly participate in staff meetings, external representation and site visits as needed.
· Contribute to the production of materials such as presentations, annual reports, training materials, position papers, and proposals relevant to the incumbent’s area of expertise.
· Help the organization comply with external donor reporting requirements as necessary, and any additional voluntary reporting such as the reporting project data to the IATI data standard using AidStream.
· Respond to periodic requests for assistance –relevant to this role- from other staff members.
· Other duties assigned as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & CHARACTERISTICS
The best applicants will combine relevant know-how with excellent people skills and an ability to get things done under challenging conditions. This is a special opportunity for someone who wants to use their skills and experience to improve the lives of people around the world. Required and desired criteria are:
· Bachelor’s degree in information management related fields or equivalent work experience required.
· At least three years working directly in a MEAL role required along with a thorough familiarity with the principles and current approaches to monitoring and evaluation using both quantitative and qualitative methods.
· Demonstrated ability to adapt and work effectively in dynamic and demanding operational environments.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively and in a collegial fashion with people from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures.
· Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and achieve results through collaboration.
· Good written/verbal communication skills in Arabic and English.
· Excellent computer skills, particularly in MS Office, Airtable and data collection tools and platforms.
· Excellent database management and data visualization skills, using tools such as PowerBI, MS-Excel and/or ArcGIS.
· Able to think critically about data and information, triangulating, and cross-checking data when needed and with minimal guidance.
How to apply:
Send your CV and Cover Letter, explaining how your experience and interest relates to this role to rashed.abutayeh [at] fieldready.org
Deadline: 28 Feb 2021
Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis.
Apply to Job