NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Position: Country Representative
Location: Phnom Penh and Siem Reap, Cambodia
Type of contract: 12 months (with possibility of extension)
Starting date: March 2021
Gross Salary: to be defined according to the candidate’s profile.
Application deadline: 25 February 2021
WeWorld-GVC, recently constituted from the merger of two NGOs, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, WeWorld-GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. WeWorld-GVC works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the WeWorld-GVC team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision. At present, the main donors are Italy (AICS), the EU (DG ECHO), UNICEF, OCHA, and Belgium (DGD).
In collaboration with local partners, WeWorld-GVC has been working in Cambodia, since 2009, in order to support vulnerable groups and communities through interventions in the fields of human rights, migration, education and child protection. In the last years, the activities focused on two main field:
- providing primary education access and reducing early school dropout, in 6 Provinces across the country from east to west (Mondulkiri, Svay Rieng, Preyveng, Kampong Chhnang, Pursat and Varin);
- preventing unsafe labour migration and human trafficking, promoting labour rights and protecting Cambodian migrants’ rights, with particular attention to reducing the risk of labour exploitation and human trafficking of women and children, in 4 Cambodian Provinces (Siem Reap, Battambang, Koh Kong and Kamporng Cham) and 2 Thai Provinces (Trat and Samut Prakan).
Purpose of the Role
The Country Representative directs organizational programmes at the country level ensuring quality of the activity in Cambodia, from development through execution, included budget management and Human Resources Management (international and National Staff). Identifies programming opportunities and areas where the organization can demonstrate its value and relevance. The Country Representative develops relations with and represents the organization to donors, local and national governments, organizational partners, to maintain positive organizational profile, and is also responsible for the security management in the country.
The Country Representative will work under the supervision of the Head of Regional Unit and in cooperation with the Desk Officer.
Main functions and duties
Programme Management and Development
- Oversee the registration of We World-GVC in Thailand, according to the National Legal requirements.
- Manage the child sponsorship programme, ensuring that the sponsorship campaigns are carried out according to the timetable and the procedures of WeWorld-GVC (Child Sponsorships Manual), in collaboration with the project officers and field officers and with the HQ.
- Lead the development and implementation of high-quality country strategic plan relevant to the local context and the organizational priorities.
- Lead and oversee the grants acquisition of new projects in the country, ensuring a long-term portfolio and achievement of annual targets.
- Lead, guide and supervise the project managers on performance and quality control, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the projects to ensure the effective and efficient execution of project deliverables, in compliance with We World-GVC standards.
- Lead and oversee the preparation and implementation of programme documents (including SOPs, policy briefs, Programme plans and Risk Assessments).
- Oversee the financial and logistic sustainability of programs and operations through effective and efficient resources development effort, outstanding financial ratios, effective budget administration and procurement management (i.e. management and maintenance of project assets and regular inventories).
- Assist the HQ to maintain public/media/donor relations to actively engage their interest/support in promoting and communicating WeWorld-GVC achievements, competencies and interest at global level.
Representation and advocacy
- Represent We World-GVC in the Country in various fora on programmatic and technical issues, strategic meetings, conferences, forums and other public events and contribute towards consolidating and raising the profile of the organization.
- Engage and liaise with relevant national-level stakeholders (government representatives, donors, CSO, multilateral organizations, communities).
- Identify, engage and strengthen strategic in-country partners engaged in child protection, migration and human rights integrated responses, in line with We World-GVC Country Strategic Plan and Regional Strategies, to grow the pipeline of opportunities in Cambodia, through a participatory process.
- Identify additional areas of synergy and cooperation with donors, other NGOs, UN agencies and relevant institutions.
- Promote WeWorld-GVC's organizational identity and capacity towards all stakeholders and partners in Cambodia and ensure WeWorld-GVC remains relevant to the changing needs of disadvantaged people in the country.
- Establish priorities, in consultation with the Head of Regional office, for targeted investments in growth and innovation, contribute to the identification and implementation of innovation and continuous improvement, in support of organizational excellence and world-class performance.
- Coordinate with HQ, maintaining frequent contact with the Desk Officers, partners and leaders of the project as well as relevant donors, in order to keep a regular update on the implementation of the project and to develop strategic planning.
- Identify and plan human resources needs (International and National).
- Timely inform HR HQ about both the present and the future International HR Needs (Annual and 4M updates) in order to facilitate a punctual recruitment process and deployment of the necessary workforce.
- Direct and manage staff in the country, ensuring development of appropriate capabilities and competencies according to the strategic and operational needs of projects/programs.
- Ensure transparent, equal and inclusive management and training of human resources in accordance with the policy and procedures, and all regulatory requirements (We World-GVC, host country legislation and donor’s policy).
- Foster an inclusive and diverse work environment, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
- Develop a country security strategy based on headquarters and country information.
- Identify risks and threats and develops systems of early warning flags.
- Coordinate in the design, testing and communications of appropriate security and safety plans and programmes.
- Develop and document emergency preparedness and disaster evacuation plans and programmes.
The duties and responsibilities set forth above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to perform additional duties.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Social or Political Science, Development Studies, International relations, Project Management, Human rights.
- Strong managerial competencies and good knowledge of Sponsorship Programs and main international donors’ policies and procedures.
- Ability to assess needs, develop and write new project proposal.
- Good knowledge of MS Office.
- Fluent in English, both written and verbal.
- Minimum 5 years’ relevant working experience in related fields.
- Working experience with international NGOs in management of international cooperation projects funded by institutional, private donors and sponsorship programs.
- Extensive project development and proposal writing experience.
- Experience in Security Management.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong flexibility and capacity to adapt behavior to the needs of the situation.
- Capacity to work autonomously and in problems prevention/resolution.
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues.
- Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities including building professional relationships with senior decision-makers and influencers / leaders.**
- Good communication, negotiation skills and sensitivity in dealing with local institutions on critical issues.
- Cultural, gender, religion, and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Strong commitment to the Mission of We World-GVC, genuine interest for international cooperation development topics.
- Knowledge and experience in the protection and/or education sectors
- Previous experience in management of child sponsorship programmes
- Previous work experience in Cambodia/Asia
- Fluent in Italian, both written and verbal.
How to apply:
Please, send your CV and Cover Letter by applying here.
Apply to Job