NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Under direct supervision of the Regional Programme Manager (Istanbul), coordinating closely with the Regional Programme Director (Istanbul) and Communications Manager (Amsterdam), the Communications Specialist is responsible for managing all communications for multiple programmes financed by SPARK’s Gulf donors including and not limited to (Islamic Development Bank, Education Above All, Sheikh Abdullah Al Nouri Charity, Qatar Fund for Development, Arab Fund etc.)
All the programmes work with start-ups, existing SMEs, higher education and vocational training in order to create job opportunities, internships and provide scholarships for youth among host communities and refugee populations in Turkey, Jordan, Iraq (including KR-I), Syria and Lebanon. SPARK works with local partner organisations to implement programmes, and operates with close collaboration between donors, governments, and other stakeholders.
For all the mentioned programmes, the Communication Specialist is responsible for communication deliverables and implementation of the communication strategy and activities in line with donor requirements. The Communication Specialist is also responsible for the daily operating of the SPARK Middle East Facebook page, Middle East newsletters and guidance of the SPARK Alumni Network.
This position is dependent on the final donor approval.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
The responsibilities and tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Create and execute communications and outreach strategies for several regional programmes across the Middle East;
- Support the creation of engaging content and promotion materials related to the programmes, including video production, news and story writing, photography etc.
- Collect, write and edit news and stories to be published in SPARK’s newsletters, website, social media channels, videos and other organisation-wide communication;
- Develop close relationships with Gulf donors, In addition to that acts as the focal point of contact for local donors and local partner organisations to implement programme communication deliverables according to the programme plan;
- Be the first port of call for urgent and changing communications requests and coordinate appropriate responses;
- Work closely with third-party creative agencies (including video production companies, PR agencies, graphic designers, social media agencies etc.) to produce engaging, multimedia content for SPARK communications;
- Manage the SPARK Middle East Facebook page, including coordinating input from programme teams. Create and deliver (written and visual) content and regular updates for SPARK’s other social media channels to promote engagement;
- Organise (offline and online) events;
- Cooperate with NGOs, UN agencies, Governments, and other stakeholders to promote SPARK’s activities;
- Develop a network of journalists;
- Handles feedback and complaints received thru social media related to the programmes assigned.
- Some international travel required;
- Other ad hoc tasks and duties.
Requirements and Skills
University diploma in a relevant field;
Fluent Arabic and English language required, Turkish language an asset;
At least 5 years’ previous experience in a communications role within an INGO, private sector, or other relevant organisation (UN experience considered an asset);
Proven interest in private sector development, youth, refugees, and employment;
Proven experience in designing and implementing outreach and communication strategies;
Proven experience managing social media channels, particularly Facebook;
Experience managing diverse, remote teams and projects is an asset;
Previous experience working with Gulf donors is an asset;
Proven editing and writing skills;
Social media knowledge and experience;
Adobe Creative Suite and MS Office skills;
Mail chimp and WordPress experience is an asset;
Photography and/or Videography skills an asset;
Good communication and social skills and ability to work in multicultural settings;
Strong team player necessary, with the ability to engage with a hands-on and independent approach when necessary;
High energy, pro-active, and service-minded with experience of working under pressure and to deadlines.
Experience in building and sustaining online communities
Experience in context-sensitive communication, especially with refugees in fragile situations, is an asset.
A challenging and exciting position in an international environment, with room to grow;
Remuneration based on experience in the range of 2000-2400 $ (USD) gross, per month;
A full-time contract for 12 months (2 months’ probation period), with the possibility of extension;
SPARK develops higher education and entrepreneurship to empower young, ambitious people to lead their fragile and conflict-affected societies into prosperity. SPARK is a dynamic and growing, international not-for-profit development organisation with 100+ staff members, in more than 14 offices around the world. SPARK supports refugees in the Middle-East by providing them with scholarships in universities and higher education institutions in the region. SPARK also supports young entrepreneurs in fragile states, to start or grow their own businesses.
How to apply:
How to apply?
If you are interested, please apply with your motivation letter and your CV (both in English) on https://vacancy.spark-online.org/Tab1/LoadProfileFromVacancy/319 until 1st of March 2021.
With reference: Communication Specialist – Amman, Istanbul or Beirut
All applications will be assessed on a rolling basis; interviews can, therefore, take place before the application deadline. However, due to the large volume of applications we receive, we cannot respond to every applicant. There may be a delay between the deadline and the moment we contact selected applicants.
If you have not received a reply, we regret to inform you that we have continued with other candidates.
Apply to Job