Avocats Sans Frontières is looking for a greek lawyer - Project 'Samos Legal Centre", Greece
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Location: Samos, Greece
Closing date for applications: February 16th, 2021
Brief Presentation of Avocats Sans Frontières France
Avocats Sans Frontières France (Lawyers Without Borders France or ASF France) is a French non-governmental organization established under 1st July 1901 French legislation.
Its mission is to:
1) Promote access to the law and fair justice for vulnerable persons who are removed from it, arbitrarily detained or tortured;
2) Defend any person deprived of a free and independent defense as well as human rights defenders threatened or violated in the performance of their duties;
3) Strengthen the capacity and the autonomy of local actors in the defense and promotion of human rights (civil society and actors in the judicial system).
ASF France mission in Greece
Europe is in the midst of the greatest mass movement of people across its territory since the Second World War. Millions have made the long, arduous and often dangerous journey to Europe by land or sea from the Asian and the African continents to flee from the effects of war in those regions.
By virtue of its geographical position and the rules of the so-called "Dublin" regulations (requiring that the examination of asylum applications be the responsibility of the first country of entry), Greece has been at the forefront of this crisis in terms of arrivals and responsibility for examining asylum applications. Since 2016, the political agreement concluded between the European Union (EU) and Turkey, aiming at controlling migratory flows, has led to the appearance of "hotspots", identification centres for migrants who arrive on the Greek islands. The reception conditions in these camps are insufficient and may have reached the threshold of inhuman and degrading treatment (due to overpopulation, violence, hygiene problems, access to water, etc.).
Even if, to date, arrivals have stopped, 3,700 migrants continue to live on Samos Island (the hotspot’s capacity is only 648 people) as of January 17th 2021 (UNHCR); living conditions are extremely difficult and denounced regularly by present NGOs. The Covid-19 outbreak has further worsened the asylum seekers’ situation.
Samos Island, located opposite the Turkish coast in the Aegean Sea, has the second-largest number of migrants in Greece (after Lesvos). The need for legal assistance is both extensive and varied: preparation for interviews prior to refugee status determination proceedings, accompaniment to complex procedures, assistance in judicial appeals, assistance in the recognition of a person’s status as vulnerable and thus giving entitlement to special protection, etc. In order to respond to those needs, ASF France opened a Legal Centre on the Island of Samos in January 2019. The objective of Samos Legal Centre is to contribute to guaranteeing the right to seek asylum and protect the fundamental rights of asylum seekers. In 2020 alone, the Samos Legal Centre has assisted approximately 620 beneficiaries with their procedures. The support and assistance of specialized lawyers are key in order to guarantee the protection of the fundamental right of asylum.
Responsibilities and service to deliver:
ASF France is looking for a lawyer / Attorney at law registered to a Bar Association in Greece with a strong interest in human rights and more specifically in asylum law to join the Samos Legal Centre team (already composed of: a Project Coordinator, a Legal Technical and Technical Assistant, a Lawyer, and several volunteer legal caseworkers). The position will involve direct responsibility for delivering results in accordance with the objectives of the project and supporting the asylum seekers residing in the Samos hotspot.
Under the management of the project coordinator and in close collaboration with the project team, the Lawyer will offer the following services:
▪ Provide legal advice (with the other European volunteer jurists);
▪ Obtain information about the beneficiaries’ cases from the Reception Information Center (RIC), the Greek Asylum Service (GAS), European Asylum Support Office (EASO) or the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR);
▪ If necessary, accompany asylum seekers during their interview before the Court or at the police station (for the most vulnerable ones);
▪ If necessary, writing of memorandums to support beneficiaries’ claims (for the most vulnerable cases);
▪ Preparation and submission of appeals in the event of rejection at first instance
▪ Sporadic participation in ASF France’s meetings with other relevant stakeholders on the island.
Required profile and qualifications
- A Greek Lawyer with at least one year of post-qualification experience;
- A good knowledge of the Greek legal system and judicial / asylum law and procedures;
- Experience in the coordination of legal aid services and pro bono activities;
- Experience in collaborating with non-governmental organizations;
- Very strong interest and experience in human rights;
- Technology literacy, both in using tools such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint and in adopting new collaboration tools such as Instant Messenger and web conferencing.
The ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic, organized self-starter who is a positive team player with the ability to work both independently and to collaborate effectively with teams.
The candidate must possess superior skills in both written and verbal communication, and in problem-solving.
This description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of the collaboration with the Lawyer. The actual duties, responsibilities, scope and qualifications may vary to some degree. The candidate must respect the principle of confidentiality and the ethics of the project.
Languages: fluent in Greek and English; French would be an asset
Four-month collaboration agreement, renewable upon funding.
The mission is taking place in Samos, Greece. According to the sanitary context evolution, the lawyer might be asked to do part or his/her entire assignment remotely. If the sanitary conditions are good and after validation from headquarters, the lawyer will be sent to Samos.
The selected candidate will be required to sign and respect a strict hygiene protocol in order to avoid contamination risks. ASF France retains the right to repatriate its teams at any moment after deployment, according to the sanitary context evolution, based on the decision of management.
How to apply:
Send a CV and cover letter before February 16th, 2021 to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Kindly indicate “**Application – Lawyer Samos Legal Centre**” in the subject of the email, applications not so stated will not be reviewed.
Only candidates whose applications have been selected will be contacted.
ASF France reserves the right to close this offer before the deadline of the advertisement. Thank you for your understanding.
Apply to Job