Africa Regional Advisor for Tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
CAMRIS is an international development and research firm that realizes innovative solutions to health and development challenges through high-quality, cost-effective program and research management services. With experience working in more than 80 countries, we combine our proven systems with today’s most effective, evidence-based best practices to improve the lives of people around the world.
Title:Africa Regional Advisor for Tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS
Location: Washington DC
GS: 13 Equivalency
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
In order to fully evaluate your eligibility, your resume must include relevant paid and non-paid experience showing dates held with month, year and hours worked per week for each position.
The Africa Bureau Health Team, within the Office of Sustainable Development (AFR/SD/H), coordinates AFR policies and strategies for all of USAID’s health programs in Africa, which total approximately $5 billion annually and represent the Agency’s largest investments on the continent. The Health Team directly manages funding and activities that support African institutional capacity development, as well as the identification and resolution of policy, program, and technical issues that are unique to the African context.
The Health Team works in close collaboration with other USAID Bureaus, including the Bureau for Global Health, the Bureau for Economic Growth, Education, and Environment, the Global Development Lab, the Bureau for Food Security, and the Bureau for Democracy, Conflict, and Humanitarian Assistance, to integrate programs and coordinate strategic and technical support to USAID missions, program reviews and assessments, staff development, and other Agency priorities. The Health Team works closely with African institutions and donor partners such as the World Health Organization's Africa Regional Office, the African Union, Regional Economic Communities, the World Bank, and UNICEF.
AFR/SD's Health Team has an annual budget of approximately $13 million, which includes the management of activities that support African capacity development and improving the quality, availability, and access to health services for Africa's most vulnerable populations. This includes programs to address data for decision-making, health financing challenges, as well as expanding relationships with regional networks and institutions. The Team works across all health sectors, including maternal, newborn, and child health (MNCH), reproductive health, infectious diseases such as malaria, tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, global health security, and health systems strengthening.
The Regional Advisor for TB and HIV will employ public health programming experience in the African context and will gain an understanding and appreciation for the central functions of a decentralized donor agency in program planning, implementation, and evaluation. In collaboration with other team members, the Advisor will provide technical support and oversight on strategies, activities, and other areas related to USAID’s TB and HIV/AIDS programs in Africa. S/he will serve in a liaison capacity with counterparts in the Bureau for Global Health (GH) and other USG agencies to ensure coordinated support for countries and sub-regions within Africa. S/he will also serve as a member of the GH-AFR country team support system, identifying and/or providing direct support to certain African countries in the region. The Advisor will receive day-to-day guidance from the Chief of the Africa Health Team, his/her onsite manager.
Serve as a technical point of contact for TB and HIV/AIDS in the Africa Bureau:
- In conjunction with other AFR health team members, including the HIV/AIDS Regional Advisor, provide technical assistance to the TB and HIV/AIDS portfolio in the Africa Bureau, including managing relevant activities within larger programs
- Maintain current knowledge of policy, frameworks, research and news on TB and HIV/AIDS in Africa
- Serve as AFR/Health Team point of contact regarding the coordination and leveraging of USAID TB funds and PEPFAR resources for TB/HIV
- Participate in relevant international meetings and conferences
- Review TB and HIV components of Operational Plans and PEPFAR Country Operational Plan
Coordination with other USAID Bureaus and Sectors
- Collaborate closely with colleagues from GH and other USG agencies on TB and HIV/AIDS issues fundamentally important to the African context
- Participate in consultations and working groups with colleagues in GH and other Bureaus and agencies on new TB and HIV/AIDS activities, requests and initiatives that impact USAID Missions in Africa
- Work closely with GH and other agency and USG partners to ensure that all countries in the region and the sub-region receive the necessary technical and logistical support
Country support for Missions in Africa
- Serve as Africa Bureau team lead on GH Country Teams for a subset of African countries
- Along with the Africa Bureau’s regional offices, serve as a resource person for the health programs of assigned countries and regional programs within the Africa Bureau
- Assist USAID Missions through the provision of technical and policy advice, consultation on and review of strategies, program designs, operational plans, and reporting documents related to Africa Bureau priorities and TB and HIV/AIDS technical issues
- Identify and/or assist USAID Missions in Africa in establishing or scaling up integrated TB - HIV/AIDS programs
General support to Health Team and the Africa Bureau
- Work closely with the team’s Strategic Information Advisor, HIV/AIDS Technical Advisor, Health Team Lead, and other team members on all TB and HIV/AIDS-related planning and reporting requirements
Assist in formulating briefing materials and responses to taskers and Congressional inquiries or requests
Master's degree in public health, health sciences, or related discipline and seven (7) years’ experience in the health sector or equivalent education and experience, including experience with TB and HIV/AIDS programs, with at least two years in an international or resource-challenged setting
Experience in conducting analysis and evaluation of technical and programmatic aspects of proposals and programs
Understanding of programs and organizational aspects of major international donors, multilateral agencies, and nongovernmental/private voluntary organizations supporting the social sector, with a focus that includes TB and HIV/AIDS or other infectious diseases
Demonstrated maturity, strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, including cross-cultural teams
Demonstrated ability to work independently, exercise sound professional judgment to problem solve, and to make strategic decisions
Excellent analytical, written, and oral communication skills
Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally
Ability to obtain and maintain a secret level security clearance.
Experience with USG programming, budgeting, and evaluation functions and procedures is desirable
Ability to speak French and/or Portuguese is desirable
This is an opportunity for employment or a contract, but we reserve the right to make no selection or award.
CAMRIS International offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits. Please submit your resume online at www.camris.com. CAMRIS is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by any applicable federal, state, or local law.
How to apply:
Application URL: Apply Here
Apply to Job