State Program Manager - East Sudan
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
State Program Manager - East Sudan | Sudan
February 2021 | 12 months | Gederaf, East Sudan | Reports to Country Director
Hello Hello! Alight is recruiting a State Program Manager for our program in Sudan, Welcome, we’re happy you’re here!
If you join us, you will find…
A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. We know we need to always be better, and we believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
A culture of radical accountability to our customers –as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
An organization that refuses to settle for anything less than delivering human-worthy services.
The State Program Manager in East Sudan is the leader of the East Sudan team and is responsible for the overall design and implementation of the ALIGHT programs in East Sudan. This is a key management position in the country program and a member of the Country Management Team/Senior Leadership Team.
This includes leading technical teams (sectors) in the development of sector plans/proposals; internally and externally coordinating sector activities; establishing and maintaining public relations with state authorities, UN agencies, other NGOs and implementing partners; coordinating management support, including resource allocations and utilization among sectors and administration and accounting for them; monitoring program implementation and reviewing plans as appropriate, managing all program staff, including performance management and staff development; coordinating the production of sector and program reports (ALIGHT and donors) and reviewing/summarizing them for the Country Director; and ensuring program staff and assets are safe all the time.
Building a shared organization takes time and intention. We will always be becoming Alight, which means your work will evolve as well. For now, here’s how you could anticipate spending your time:
Program Management & Development:
- With support of the Country Director (CD) and the Country Program Manager (CPM), articulate and share with staff a clear vision for the program in East Sudan. Share, with staff, strategic information on ALIGHT global new developments.
- Supervise and coordinate staff activities and program implementation to ensure alignment with ALIGHT’s program objectives, Humanitarian principles, line ministries and host government requirements.
- In collaboration with the CPM and program unit, promote overall program coherence, by ensuring that all projects meet program sector design standards, and have well-defined performance indicators and output monitoring mechanisms.
- Facilitate monthly cross-functional meetings to review progress made in implementation of program plans, budget spending (BvAs & GSPs) and management issues. Share the minutes of meeting with Country Director and senior management team.
- Analyze program implementation, gaps and expedite resolution of critical programmatic issues, with support of the CPM and program sector coordinators.
- Review the M&E Field Monitoring Reports with program staff. Report corrective action taken to the Country MEAL Coordinator, ensuring closure of open issues within two months.
- Provide oversight of ALIGHT local partner NGOs grant sub-recipients. Resolve issues and coordinate reporting with the Partnership Manager and Finance Controller (FC).
- Coordinate, with the technical teams, the preparation of donor and internal reports in a timely manner, including production of Human Interest/Program Success Stories, as required.
- Collaborate with the CPM in the planning, coordination and facilitation of grants launch meetings.
- Ensure branding and visibility signage at project sites are in line with donor guidelines.
- Work closely with the Communication Manager and Grant and Business Development Coordinator (G&BDC) to design and produce presentation, promotional and communications material, on the profile of the program and operations in the State, for dissemination to internal and external audiences.
- Advise the Country Director on current and potential needs of refugee and IDP populations in East Sudan in appropriate sectors (i.e. Health, WASH, Shelter, Food Security, etc).
- Support the FM, CPM and FC, throughout the various stages of the proposal development process, by leading State teams in intelligence gathering, data collection, drafting of proposal narrative and budget sections, and providing timely responses to inquiries, as needed.
- Serve as the ALIGHT representative in the field on program and operational issues, liaising with State government officials, INGOs, NGOs and UN agencies as directed by the Country Director.
- In coordination with ALIGHT program sector heads, strengthen ALIGHT’s technical relationships with relevant State Line Ministries and UN program sector leads (Health, Nutrition, WASH, etc.,) through regular meetings, consultations and updates on ALIGHT programs.
- As directed by the CD, confer with State level donor representatives regarding potential funding shortfalls, project implementation delays, no-cost extensions, or new funding possibilities.
- Host/Attend UN/donor/GoS high-level delegation/representatives/visitors’ meetings, as required.
- Participate as a member of joint inter-agency needs assessment teams for potential new programs, or for routine joint field program monitoring, as directed by the CD.
- Foster a work atmosphere that values accountability, results, staff recognition and well-being, innovation, continuous learning and modeling of ALIGHT values, standards and operating principles. Directly supervise program staff in the field, providing regular performance feedback.
- Provide guidance to direct reports and other staff in preparation of Performance Plans and ensure completion of Performance Appraisals at end of fiscal year.
- In consultation with the CPM and HR Manager, support technical coordinators in development of program structure, identification of HR needs and preparation of individual job descriptions.
- Build technical and management capacity of staff in a proactive and strategic manner, through ongoing coaching, on-the-job assignments or formal training opportunities.
- Support the HR Officer in championing the ALIGHT Changemakers’ innovative idea generation and collection process.
- Oversee the Finance, HR and Admin/Logistics functions, ensuring proper internal controls are in place and adherence to GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles), ALIGHT policies and procedures, donor regulations, local labor and fiduciary laws.
- Update the CD on the current program, management and security situation, on a daily basis.
- In conjunction with the safety focal staff, ensure that ALIGHT & UN Security Standard Operating Procedures are current and implemented. Ensure submission of Security Incident reports to the Country Operations Manager (COM), within 24hrs of the incident.
- Proactively lead teams in the preparation of Technical Agreements to enable timely State and Federal level approvals, minimize disruption of program implementation and expat field travel.
- Provide input for preparation of documentation for annual renewal of ALIGHT Sudan INGO status Registration.
- Prepare and timely submit monthly cash projections and program cost share to the Khartoum Finance department, to enable adequate time for bank transfers.
- Ensure timely report submission to the COM: weekly Security Report, and monthly Procurement/Supply Chain Management, and Staff Movement reports for ALIGHT HQs Dashboard.
- Monitor schedule for procurement of goods and services for programs and operations. Preside over the bidding process to ensure transparency and adherence to policies and procedures.
- Periodically review inventory of physical assets, including IT equipment, office supplies and drugs stocks, to ensure the records are updated, and timely replenishment and/or assets disposal.
- Prepare the Monthly Management Report for submission to the Country Director.
- Ensure timesheets are prepared with accurate donor codes and submitted to HR/Finance in time for processing of monthly payroll.
- Support the HR Officer in monthly tracking of staff leave balances, to enable proper scheduling of staff leave, and avoid accrual of excess leave days.
Strategic Planning & Execution
- As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, (SLT) actively participate in team development sessions, contribute to setting common goals, objectives and operating standards. Demonstrate commitment to and accountability for effective team performance.
- Collaborate in the development of the multi-year Country Strategy, Annual Country Management & Operations Plan. Provide input to Quarterly reports on progress, including on Risk Mitigation.
- Attend SLT meetings, remotely and in person; contribute to strategic decision-making
Education, Technical Skills & Knowledge
- Over 5 years’ experience with an INGO in a management position in complex emergency or post-conflict settings.
- University degree in the Social Sciences, International Policy or Administration or related field; Master’s degree preferable.
- Experience in managing a multi-sector program; proposal/grant writing, finance, budget planning and management, monitoring and evaluation; conducting needs assessments.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead through influence, vertically and horizontally across functional and geographic boundaries.
- Strong representation, interpersonal and negotiation skills, in managing relations with donor, community representatives, and government authorities.
- Experience in managing and working with a multicultural staff; through a participatory approach and in motivating and counseling staff working in a complex emergency environment.
- Experience in strategic planning and execution
- USAID/OFDA/UNHCR background preferred.
- Experience and/or knowledge of Sudan (history, politics, culture, etc.) and sensitive to issues involved in working in Sudan preferable.
- Excellent verbal and written communications, and presentation skills.
- Strong computer literacy; strong skills in Microsoft Office.
- Must be fluent in English, knowledge of Arabic a plus.
You strive for...
- Humility. You learn from others with an open heart and open mind.
- Inclusivity. Our diversity is our strength. You value diversity of opinion and thought. You invite all voices to the table regardless of gender, ethnicity/tribe, sexual orientation, or physical/mental ability.
- Empathy. You know how to really hear other people and understand their meaning.
- Joy. Seriously! We believe that play and joy are core to co-creating value with customers.
- Flexibility. We’re constantly designing and iterating. You’ll be working in ambiguity always – embrace it and see the possibility that it allows. The ability to roll with it will make that easier.
- Creativity. You have the ability to apply sound judgment and innovative ideas to meet challenges presented.
We are on a journey to build Alight, a new platform of amazing people and organizations providing lifesaving services and creating breakthrough solutions for and with the displaced. WeAreAlight.org
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
How to apply:
Apply to Job