Senior Operations Officer
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
FilmAid is an international development and humanitarian communications organization that harnesses the power and influence of media and the arts to respond to emergencies as well as promote social change through dialogue in order to protect the wellbeing of displaced and vulnerable populations by building stronger, healthier, and more informed communities around the world. FilmAid has been using the power of film and media for 19 years. Its work in social behavior change communication (SBCC) spans more than 12 years. FilmAid has been working in Dadaab and Kakuma refugee camps for 18 years with a wealth of knowledge in behavior and attitudes of refugees and hosting communities concerning their health and social habits.
Main Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
I. Administrative supervision
- Supervision of Logistics & Admin Officer and HR/Admin Assistant and allocate work appropriately.
- Lead the budget preparation, budget revision and budget management for Kakuma field office.
On monthly basis coordinate and liaise with the Nairobi based Kakuma Desk office to review budget to actual reports to ensure propriety of information
On monthly basis, meet with the Field Manager to review budget to actual reports to ensure propriety of information and provide appropriate advice to the Field Manager.
Ensure compliance with donor and FAK financial policies and procedures by the Kakuma program
Prepare for internal and external audits and donor financial reviews as may be required.
Prepare and submit monthly cash projections for Kakuma based on work plans to the Nairobi-based Kakuma Desk Officer.
Ensuring timely and complete collection of invoices, placing payment requests, submitting for payment and follows through on vendor balance reconciliations with the Nairobi-based Kakuma Desk Officer.
Maintain communication and ensure timely payment of suppliers based in Kakuma as well as obtain relevant documentation for transaction back-up.
Continually maintaining proper systems of storing cash, making payments and keeping cash books and other financial records. Responsible for the integrity of the petty cash system in Kakuma.
Management & maintenance of Kakuma petty cash and submitting the petty cash vouchers to Kakuma Desk Officer within the stipulated timeline.
Provide support and basic training for administration, outreach, M&E creative staff in the preparation of payment and petty cash vouchers and other related finance transactions such as travel accountability, interpretation of financial reports, communication and continuous staff on- job trainings.
III. Human Resources/Admin Duties
- Ensure newly recruited staff in Kakuma and new arrivals to Kakuma receive their basic induction and orientation depending on their position and function.
- Manage the administration of the Kakuma staff leave database and records, coordinating annual leave plans and communicate leave policy benefits.
- Process monthly incentive staff salaries submit to the Kakuma desk officer in Nairobi.
- Co-ordinate HR activities such as making arrangements for internal staff trainings and seminars/workshops for Kakuma field office.
- Supervise maintaining HR records related to employment contracts, performance reviews, disciplinary actions, employment status and similar records for refugees and local staff.
- Co-ordinate all recruitment activities including posting job adverts, scheduling interviews and ensuring reference checks for refugee and locally recruited staff.
- Coordinate and ensure submission of monthly Time and Effort Sheets by staff members and ensure update and record keeping of the same.
- Maintain HR records for incentive staff relating to; employment contracts/status, performance reviews, disciplinary issues and maintenance of up to date emergency contact list of all incentive staff.
- Uphold FilmAid Kenya Code of conduct, PSEA and HR policies.
- Provide advice to the Field Manager in case of investigations into any breaches of the FAK CoC or related policies.
- Maintain absolute confidentiality of all information that he/she may have access to in the execution of his duties.
- Support the HR/Admin Assistant in premises management duties.
Procurement/Logistics Supervision Duties
- In coordination with the Senior Programmes Officer & Field Manager, oversee the development and execution of procurement plans for Kakuma office and submit to the Nairobi office.
Review procurement plans with the relevant programme team members on a monthly basis and submit updates to Nairobi office.
Support general finance and procurement processes by researching needed information.
Be proactive in improving skills by keeping up to date with new / latest development in finance / procurement / administration.
- Hold quarterly staff sensitization sessions on FAK CoC, PSEA, safeguarding and anti-fraud policies.
- Ensure clear and accessible record keeping and filing of all activities and expenses.
- Ensure good communication within and outside the project. Represent the project and its goals to callers, writers, and visitors from the community, NGOs, and CBOs as needed.
Collaborate with FilmAid colleagues as needed or requested to meet reporting requirements, develop proposals, address management needs, design products, or respond to funders.
Maintain absolute confidentiality of all information that he/she may have access to in the execution of his/her duties.
Perform any other duty that may be assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business administration, Logistics / supply chain management, or other relevant discipline.
- Qualification in Certified Public Accounts (CPA) part II or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA).
- At least 5 years’ experience in administration, finance and in coordinating staff travel preferably with a humanitarian organization. Demonstrated experience with key donors including USAID, UN agencies, and private foundations is an asset.
- Excellent English language skills.
- Good understanding of project management cycles and budget allocation/ tracking/reviews.
- 3-5 years of involvement in budget management (including drafting, revisions, reporting).
- Experience working in a field office and with experience in project planning and budgeting.
- Must have supervised at least 3 people and involved in handling various human resource process and functions within an organization or program.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action.
- Experience or knowledge in fleet management, stores management & coordinating staff travel
- Must have supervised at least two people and involved in handling various human resource process and functions within an organization or program.
- Appreciates cultural diversity.
- Decision-making and problem solving skills.
- Financial reporting and budget management skills.
- Ability to travel to and work in remote locations such as Kakuma.
- Strong interpersonal and people management skills.
- Good supervision skills, asset and office management skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and attention to detail.
- Ability to use various finance programs (QuickBooks, Ms Word, Excel).
- Excellent coordination, planning and reporting skills.
- Outgoing character, honest, reliable and committed.
- Ability to work alone and in a team.
- Presentable and personable.
- Hands-on and detail-oriented.
How to apply:
Interested and qualified persons with the required experience are invited to submit their applications with only Cover Letter, CV and 3 references to Email address: email@example.com on or before 15th February 2021 and clearly indicate on the subject line as ‘Senior Operations Officer’ and stating your expected remuneration for this role.
Note that applicants who send letters of references, testimonials or any other documents apart from those requested will be automatically disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
FilmAid is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply to Job