Senior Officer for Equity, inclusion, and Gender Mainstreaming
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
ABOUT SYRIA CIVIL DEFENCE
The Syria Civil Defence (also known as The White Helmets) is a community-based first responder and community worker organization established as a response to the Syrian conflict. The organization has been working in non-regime-held areas inside Syria, currently joining nearly 3,000 volunteers operating through 87 community-based teams and 33 women’s points. Their work has received unparalleled levels of international recognition and support for a local organization in war, becoming a symbol of humanity and inspiration not only in Syria but internationally.
Syria Civil defence receive both governments and private funding with an annual budget of around 25 Million USD. Our Headquarter is in Syria and we operate support offices in Turkey and overseas.
We are committed to the principals of independence, humanity and impartiality. We work in accordance with the international humanitarian laws and we measure our performance by how good our teams’ civilian protection service is, as judged by the civilians we serve.
We pledge to do whatever we can, wherever we can, for as long as we can to protect the Syrian civilians and to achieve a lasting justice in Syria and for all Syrians.
SCD is an equal opportunities employer and applications are actively encouraged from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
SCOPE OF WORK
To support WH Programs to implement gender mainstreaming in WH work. The position holder will be responsible for the promotion of gender equity within the different WH programs, Including the promotion of gender balance, work/life issues, harassment, and a gender-sensitive work environment. The Senior Officer for Gender Mainstreaming will provide input, guidance, and recommendations on all-gender perspectives in the work across the organization’s policies and procedures.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Job Title: Senior officer for equity, inclusion and gender mainstreaming
Duty Station: Gaziantep
Contracting Type: Annual employment contract.
Line Manager: Program Director
Full/Part Time: Full time
Probation Period: 3 months
Tasks and Activities
- Develop, support the implementation, and monitor the WH Gender action plan (according to the WH Gender policy).
- Coordination of gender related project activities.
- Provide relevant project briefs, factsheets, and updates to internal and external parties as assigned by the Line Manager.
- Develop, review, and adopt project work plans on a regular basis for assigned projects in collaboration with Program and field staff.
- Maintenance of close cooperation with relevant partners in gender related issues to ensure effective implementation of activities and delivery of outputs in a timely manner.
- Contribute to design and formulation of new gender related projects translating WH’s gender priorities into concrete actions, as the needs and opportunities arise.
- Develop gender tools for the WH projects and Women Centres.
- Build systematic links between feedback and corrective action to adjust programming and WH response plan.
- Coordinate Gender analysis as required in the targeted communities, assess, and identify gender gaps in line with the M&E team.
- Identification, collection, and analysis of relevant information on gender equality.
- Keep up to date on partnership related issues; identify possible areas of cooperation and opportunities for initiation of new gender related projects.
- Support the WH team efforts on all gender related activities.
- Regular reporting on gender related issues that raise up in the projects; and produce updates and reports related to gender issues, women empowerment, and social impact of WH group Gender Equality.
- Develop the capacity and an enabling environment to strengthen work progress in level of Equity, inclusion, and Gender Equality.
- · Provide support to WH female members and enhance their leadership skills.
- · Improve the partnership and engagement with UN Women, protection cluster, and feminist international organizations.
Note: the above-mentioned responsibilities are illustrative ones. Another future responsibilities/accountability may be assigned to the job depending on the department's organizational chart or title.
Required Qualifications Education, Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Social Sciences or Development Studies, gender, or other related fields.
- 3 years experience in implementing program activities in civil society sector or humanitarian field. Demonstrated work experience on gender mainstreaming.
- Proficient level in English, Arabic is the mother tongue.
- Advanced degree in Social Work, Social Sciences or Development Studies, gender, or other related fields.
- 4 years’ experience in in implementing program activities in civil society sector or humanitarian field. Demonstrated work experience on gender mainstreaming.
- Working knowledge of French and/or Turkish is a plus.
Core & Managerial Competencies & Technical
- Planning and Organizing
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Stakeholders Orientation
- Technological Awareness.
- Computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Experience in women and girl’s empowerment
- A thorough understanding of project cycle management especially M&E processes, research, and reporting.
- Knowledge of relevant programming, safe spaces, female education, maternal, child, and sexual reproductive health, violence against women, vocational training.
- Experience in working with NGO’s, INGO’s.
- Demonstrated work experience in gender mainstreaming.
- Good knowledge and experience of Project Management skills including basic administration and management.
How to apply:
If you are interested in applying for this position, please fill out the application form on this link and attach your CV and a covering letter explaining your background, suitability for the role and interest in what we do.
Closing date for application: 31 January 2021.
Only shortlisted applicants who meet the required job qualifications will be contacted.
Apply to Job