REACH Junior Assessment Officer (Multi-Cluster Needs Assessments) for Iraq
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
BACKGROUND ON IMPACT AND REACH
REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of the two International NGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction and development contexts, supporting and working within the framework of the humanitarian reform process. REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services: (a) need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams; (b) situation analysis using satellite imagery; (c) provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise.
IMPACT Initiatives is a humanitarian NGO, based in Geneva, Switzerland. The organisation manages several initiatives, including the REACH Initiative. The IMPACT team comprises specialists in data collection, management and analysis, GIS and remote-sensing. IMPACT was launched at the initiative of ACTED, an international NGO whose headquarter is based in Paris and is present in thirty countries. The two organizations have a strong complementarity formalized in a global partnership, which allows particularly IMPACT to benefit from ACTED’s operational support on its fields of intervention.
We are currently looking for a REACH Junior Assessment Officer to support our team.
Position: REACH MCNA Junior Assessment Officer
Contract Duration: 6 months
Location: Erbil, Iraq
Start date: ASAP
REACH Initiative has been present in Iraq since 2012, supporting humanitarian decision-making with assessments and information management activities focusing on the needs of displaced, returnees, and conflict-affected populations. Today, data collected and disseminated by REACH aims to provide a baseline for ongoing response planning efforts across Iraq
REACH assessment activities in Iraq are currently focused along the three major themes:
- Support for decision-makers in the humanitarian planning cycle;
- Information support and advocacy for durable solutions for internally displaced persons and returnees;
- Third-party quality monitoring of humanitarian programmes.
REACH has its main assessment office in Erbil, with data collection teams working across Iraq.
REACH Initiative Iraq is currently seeking a Junior Assessment Officer (JAO) to support the implementation of the 2021 MCNA in Iraq which will serve as the primary evidence base for the 2022 Humanitarian Needs Overview (HNO). In this role, the JAO will be responsible for supporting the MCNA focal point and database officers across the entire research cycle, from research design through data collection, data cleaning, data analysis and the drafting of information products. The ideal candidate will be eager to work in a dynamic organization with opportunities to build data analysis and external coordination skills.
Technical backstopping and support is provided by the Research Manager for the REACH Humanitarian Program Cycle (HPC) and the IMPACT Geneva HQ team. Past experience in the aforementioned areas is not essential although highly desirable. At minimum, experience with the subject matter, familiarity with the development and/or humanitarian sector, quantitative analysis skills, and effective communication skills are required.
Under the functional supervision of the HPC Unit Research Manager in Iraq, the REACH JAO is responsible for supporting the coordination and implementation of all research activities falling under the MCNA portfolio, including:
- Research design: indicator drafting and review, assessment methodology and sampling strategy review, data collection tool development
- Planning and coordination of data collection activities, in close collaboration with the in-country operations team
- Oversight of data processing, including development of data cleaning and analysis plans, and conducting analysis, in close collaboration with the in-country data team
- Output production and development, and presentation of findings
- Close coordination with all relevant external stakeholders within the humanitarian coordination structure, throughout the research cycle, and supporting the incorporation of findings into strategic planning documents.
- Regular communication and collaboration with IMPACT HQ Data and Reporting Units to ensure implementation of global standards, guidelines, and best practices, for MSNAs and of REACH and IMPACT more generally.
In his/her mission, the REACH Junior Assessment Officer will be hosted by ACTED and will fall under the responsibility of ACTED’s Country Director and his/her delegates. S/he and will fully abide to ACTED’s Security, HR, Administration and Logistics rules and regulations
The REACH Junior Assessment Officer will maintain the strictest confidentiality on all data collected and related processes. He/she will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of any information and data belonging to IMPACT and its partners, or collected during his/her assignment with IMPACT.
- Excellent academic qualifications, including a Master degree in relevant discipline (international studies, development, humanitarian response, political science, monitoring and evaluation, etc);
- At least 1 year of relevant working experience in humanitarian or development settings
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Excellent communication and drafting skills for reporting and external coordination;
- Proven knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite, to include Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with quantitative assessments and methodologies
- Knowledge of statistical analysis software such as R, Python, Stata or SPSS;
- Written and spoken fluency in English required;
- Ability to multitask with tight deadlines
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- Ability to operate in a complex and challenging security environment;
- Previous experience with external coordination
- Prior field experience is an asset.
- Knowledge of the Humanitarian Programme Cycle (HPC) and humanitarian coordination structure
- Advanced skills in R or other statistical analysis software
- Ability to operate Kobo, ODK or similar data collection software
- Ability to operate Adobe InDesign and/or Adobe Illustrator
- Salary defined by the IMPACT salary grid; educational level, expertise, hardship, security, and performance are considered for pay bonus
- Additional monthly living and food allowance
- Lodging provided at the organisation’s guesthouse
- Transportation costs covered, including return ticket + luggage allowance
- Provision of medical, life, and repatriation insurance + retirement package
How to apply:
Kindly submit to the following link: REACH Junior Assessment Officer (MCNA) | Impact (impact-initiatives.org)
In case you encounter challenges using the application form, please contact us via email@example.com
Apply to Job