NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
SWEDO is a Swedish non-profit, non-political, non-religious development aid organization that was founded in 1991 in Stockholm, Sweden. Having continuously operated in the Kurdistan Region ever since, SWEDO’s main priorities of work are construction and infrastructure activities, refugee and IDP initiatives, health, water, sanitation and hygiene, and capacity building.
Reporting to SWEDO’s Field Coordinator (Head of Office) as his/her direct supervisor and to the UNHCR Staff in Erbil as the partners, the PARC Protection Manager will be responsible for the overall supervision of the IDP and refugee protection response in Erbil. S/he will draft the work plan for protection of refugees and IDPs with the team leaders. S/he will ensure that each leader is following the proper work plan while remaining flexible towards the rapidly changing protection priorities of the IDPs and refugees. S/he will be required to provide technical guidance on protection issues, including general protection (access to safety, freedom of movement, arbitrary detention, military recruitment, documentation) as well as child protection and SGBV. S/he will ensure that targets are being met. The PARC Protection Manger will also need to hold regular meetings with the various IDP and Refugee project team leaders and staff to ensure that service gaps in are identified, and solutions are found in close consultation with the UNHCR staff. S/he will be responsible sending accurate and professional bi-weekly and monthly reports, providing constructive feedback to current team leaders and orienting newly hired ones. S/he will enhance SWEDO’s interventions throughout Erbil Governorate to meet refugees’ and IDPs’ protection needs. In consultation with the Field Coordinator, the Country Director, and the UNHCR; the PARC Protection Manager will attend protection meetings with the humanitarian and donor community regularly to increase SWEDO’s visibility and to identify future opportunities of intervention for the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Streamline protection into all activities carried out by SWEDO;
· Build protection capacity of key SWEDO staff in different departments and projects;
· Meet with team leaders on a regular basis to improve and ensure the inclusion of protection standards in the projects;
· Support and guide staff and respond promptly to anticipated shortages and gaps;
· Participate in recruitment of new staff through drafting TORs, interviews, shortlisting, etc.;
· Preview and ensure inclusion protection aspects and quality of biweekly and monthly reports, and contribute to annual reports;
· Develop good working relationships with donors, governmental departments, local and international organizations in each thematic area;
· Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience and diplomacy;
· Stay overtime when required to meet the needs of unforeseen IDP and refugee influxes;
· Liaise and coordinate with UNHCR staff to maintain a close and professional working relationship;
· Attend relevant meetings of partners and donor community to identify gaps and to improve SWEDO’s presence and need for future humanitarian interventions;
· Serve as Co-Lead of Erbil Protection Working Group;
· Identify Focal Point for GBV and Child Protection and ensure that SWEDO is well represented in the relevant sub-groups;
· Perform other relevant duties as directed by senior managers.
· Master or bachelor Degree in refugee studies, human rights Law, international relations, development studies or any other relevant field;
· At least five years of previous experience in managerial position or managing protection projects in refugee/IDP situations, camp as well as urban context, including emergency operations;
· Fluency in English language, Arabic or Kurdish Language is desirable;
· Ability to demonstrate a good understanding of community-based approach and urban refugee and IDP policies.
· Specific experience of managing UNHCR and other donor projects.
· Ability to design protection tools and materials;
· Demonstrated ability to train and build capacity of others;
· Strong interpersonal skills and managerial capacity;
· Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
· Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
· Performance Management – Adaptable, innovative, and ability to work well under pressure;
· Planning and Organizing - anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
· Teamwork – contributes to a positive team environment;
· Social Awareness - displays awareness and understanding of local political and social context;
· Willingness to frequently travel to the field across Kurdistan Region & Iraq.
· 600 USD welcome package to cover your immediate accommodation until you find a suitable residence;
· Reimbursement cost up to 500 USD for one-time flight ticket during employment contract;
· Costs for residency card and visa fees;
· Life and Medical Insurance (valid worldwide);
· 50 USD per month on top of gross salary to cover costs for international money transfer;
· Transportation to/from your residence during the working hours and a SWEDO Vehicle (without driver) will be available to be used by the expats after working hours’ movements (subject to local driving permit regulations and SWEDO policies;
· Communication Allowance: Mobile phone, Sim-card and prepaid scratch cards will be covered by SWEDO Organization for working calls during your assignment;
· Internet modem and prepaid scratch cards will be covered by SWEDO Organization for work related calls, SWEDO assignments and reasonable personal use;
· Annual Leave and Vacation: 30 paid days/annum as an annual leave, 30 paid days/annum in case of certified sick leave and 15 days/annum unpaid leave, in addition to the official public holidays which would be announced by SWEDO organization in advance, however, the entitlement for the annual leave will only be affective after successful completion of probation period;
· R&R: Five working days after every ten weeks work (travel costs will not be covered by SWEDO).
How to apply:
Interested applicants must send their most recent CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, Subject line must read: S-IR-VA-21004, Protection Manager, Erbil**
Note: Applications not meeting the specified minimum requirements o received after closing date may not be considered. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview that may include a written test of communication and writing skills.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply
Apply to Job