NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Position : Project Accountant (for Nationals only)**
Starting date : February 2021**
Duty station : Kampala**
Reports to : ZOA Manager of Operations**
Date of posting : 12th January 2021**
We are here for our neighbours in need, who are suffering in this broken world.
ZOA, as an international NGO, supports people who have lost everything due to armed conflict or natural disaster. Together, we can come to their aid in emergencies and remain faithful to communities as they recover – providing new opportunities for them to help themselves again. The work of ZOA is coordinated from the Netherlands. We are active in multiple countries in Africa, South America, the Middle East Region, and Asia. We work with approximately 900 employees worldwide and with (local) partners. We invite you to join our team of committed colleagues.
In Uganda, ZOA has offices in Kampala, West Nile (Arua), Acholi (Nwoya), and Karamoja (Amudat). ZOA Uganda works both in relief and recovery on the themes of food security & livelihoods, WASH, primary/accelerated/vocational education, and conflict management with a special focus on land security.
ZOA is looking for a:
The Project Accountant is responsible for financial support for the We are Able! Uganda consortium, working with consortium partners to ensure they are on track with spending, project accounting and financial reporting.
We are Able! works in six African States (Burundi, DR Congo, South Sudan, Sudan, Uganda and Ethiopia) as well as in the Netherlands and has as main objective ‘Co-creating inclusive governance for access to basic resources that leaves no-one behind’.
We are able! wants to see People with Disabilities (PWDs) improving their right to food and food security by creating an enabling environment for right-to-food action at grassroots level.
In Uganda the We are Able! Consortium consists of (I)NGOs, namely ZOA as lead, NUDIPU and Light for the World (LftW). In addition, The Hague Academy (THA) and Vereniging Nederlandse Gemeenten Internationaal (VNGi) have been subcontracted under this grant.
We Are Able! is being financed by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs under the Power of Voices subsidiary framework and runs from January 1st 2021 until December 31st 2025.
Place in organisation
The Project Accountant will be employed by ZOA Uganda and is line managed by the ZOA Manager of Operations. The Project Accountant will be part of the Consortium Management Unit for WaA! Uganda, within ZOA Uganda. He/she will be supported by the ZOA Finance Manager (for technical support and quality aspects).
The position is recruited at Senior Finance Officer level in the ZOA Uganda Salary Scale (scale 4).
Responsibilities and activities
- The Project Accountant works with the Consortium Coordinator Uganda and the Finance focal points in the respective member and/or partner organisations to ensure financial data and expenditure reporting is tracked and reported in a timely manner, according to the requirements of the WaA! Consortium;
- Provide timely financial feedback to the Consortium Coordinator and partner organisations;
- Compile and manage the monthly financial reports for the programme;
- Training finance staff within consortium partner organisations and capacity strengthening on financial systems with local partner organisations;
- Review and ensure accuracy of financial transactions for WaA funded activities and ensure appropriateness (includes vouchers, expenditures reports, Cash payments, etc.);
- Ensure compliance with both ZOA and donor rules and regulations such as funds requests, records retention, reporting timelines, liquidation period, and others;
- Provide support to ZOA WaA! programme team with regard to financial policies/practices and related areas as required, including budget reviews;
- Coordinate and preparing the project audit, including internal ZOA preparation and support to consortium partners;
- Support to other ZOA finance functions whenever need arises.
Characteristics of role
The Project Accountant WaA! Uganda will be based in Kampala. Field visits to project locations may be necessary to support finance staff (Acholi or West Nile regions).
In Kampala the Project Accountant will be based at the ZOA office but may wish to also spend time working from partner offices, space permitting.
The role is 1.0 FTE (40 hrs/ week). Working hours are outlined in the ZOA Uganda Conditions of Service. Some flexibility on working hours may be required, e.g. for travel at weekends, or during reporting times.
Competencies – knowledge and experience
- Required at least three years’ experience in a similar role with international NGO;
- Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or any related field;
- Robust accounting skills and experience, including management of the general ledger, journal entries, payroll, payables and balance sheet;
- Ability to understand financial reports and analyze financial variances and excellent knowledge of computer applications, especially MS Excel;
- Fluent command of English;
- Experience with sign language is a plus;
- Experience of working with People with Disabilities is a plus.
Competencies - behaviour
- Commitment to ZOA’s mission, vision and values (see https://www.zoa-international.com/corporate-identity/);
- Good interpersonal, organizational and intercultural sensitivity;
- Able to plan and coordinate and work in an organized manner;
- Able to bridge differences and bring people together;
- High integrity;
- Able to work independently.
How to apply:
If you are interested in this position, please apply directly via the link below.
CV’s of no more than 2 pages in length and Cover Letter of 1 page are appreciated.
Please provide at least 3 references related to your previous employment listed in the application. References of previous positions held should not be older than five years.
Only selected candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in the process of recruitment.
Qualified female candidates and or individuals with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
Apply to Job