Nutrition-Sensitive Agriculture Team Leader
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
The Organization: CEFA (The European Committee for Agricultural Training) is an Italian Non-Governmental Organization established in 1972 and active in 10 Countries in Africa, Latin America, and Eastern Europe. CEFA’s medium- and long-term interventions in the agricultural, environmental, and human rights sectors are focused on the sustainable development of the communities, achieved by involving local counterparts and promoting the active participation of the beneficiaries.
Duty Stations: 60% Bosaso and 40% Garowe, Puntland, Somalia
Expected Starting Date: 10th of February 2021
Contract Duration: 11 months (renewable)
Objectives of the position: CEFA is implementing a 4 years project funded by IFAD (International Fund For Agricultural Development) and AICS (Italian Agency for Development Cooperation) on food security to support rural development of the agricultural and livestock value chains in Puntland. The project includes a Nutrition-Sensitive Agriculture program addressed to IDP households in Garowe and Bosaso through the implementation of bag farming activities. We thus require a Nutrition-Sensitive Agriculture team leader to coordinate the delivery of training sessions on bag farming, horticultural production, food handling, cooking and hygiene practices, the provision of technical support, and the distribution of adequate agricultural inputs to the beneficiaries.
Main Duties: Under the direct supervision of the Puntland Area Manager and the Field Coordinator, the Nutrition-Sensitive Agriculture Team Leader will be responsible for the overarching technical approach of the Nutrition-Sensitive Agriculture program with IDPs in Garowe and Bosaso. She/he will oversee all the activities related to this program, including training, technical assistance, and agricultural inputs distribution, to improve homestead food production, dietary diversity, and diet quality of the project beneficiaries.
- Support the Area Manager and the Field Coordinator in planning and scheduling all the Nutrition
- Sensitive Agriculture activities;
- Support planning and scheduling of training delivery;
- Support preparation and update of training and learning materials;
- Facilitate and supervise training delivery on Good Agronomic Practices, sustainable irrigation
- techniques, irrigation management, and marketing strategies, ensuring technical quality to the
- training sessions;
- Establishment and management of CEFA demo plots and Farmer Field Schools;
- Lead the start-up, implementation, monitoring, and adaptation of nutrition-sensitive agriculture
- activities to improve access to and use of nutritious food through behavior change and the
- diversification of food production.
- Manage and oversee training in nutrition-sensitive agriculture for various stakeholders;
- Train and oversee field officers and MOEACC officials and who deliver household outreach and
- group training;
- Coordinate the purchase and distribution of NSA inputs and the supply of technical equipment;
- Continuous follow-up with Field officers and project beneficiaries on NSA activities;
- Conduct field visits to monitor the project beneficiaries and the implementation of the activities;
- Support data collection in the field to inform the project performance indicators
- Contribute to the development of implementing strategies to improve the post-harvest processing
- of the crops;
- Provide continuous coordination with CEFA Area Manager, Team Leader and for updates on the
- implementation of the NSA activities;
- Any other activities that might be required.
- Degree in Agriculture and/or Nutrition and/or related fields;
- Past working experience (at least 5 years) in agricultural or nutrition programs in the humanitarian/development
- Professional experience in managing or implementing Nutrition-Sensitive Agriculture activities and concepts.
- Experience in applying knowledge of activities design, implementation, and monitoring, collection of best practices and lessons learned, and adoption of good practices and innovative technologies in the agricultural and nutrition sectors;
- Experience in training delivery and coordination, including training of trainer activities and development of training materials.
- Experience in crop diversification, bag farming activities, and nutrition-sensitive training delivery;
- Previous working experience in Bari and Nugaal regions, Puntland State of Somalia;
- Fluent knowledge of English and Somali languages;
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Previous experience in working with CEFA is an asset.
Required Skills: Commitment, punctuality, proactivity, good team player, ability to work under difficult conditions in the field, trustworthiness, and honesty.
How to apply:
Please apply by sending a cover letter and a CV with at least two reference contacts to the following email address:
the 31st of January 2021
Apply to Job