National Project Officer
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: National Project Officer
Vacancy Number: SVN/IOMSO/001/2021
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Classification: National Officer, Grade NOA**
Type of Appointment: Short term, nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible**
Closing Date: 31 January, 2021**
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
International Organization for Migration (IOM) is implementing the Project "Kismayo and Baidoa water supply project” funded by the Africa Development Bank (AfDB), On behalf of the Ministry of Energy and water Resources, Federal Government of Somalia. The overall objective of the project is to improve access to water and sanitation services the people in Somalia special for Kismayo and Baidoa towns. The project targets 300,000 people (including Internally Displaced People (IDP) returnees) through sustainable water supply systems and institutional strengthening to manage and sustain water infrastructures.
IOM will be responsible management and coordination of the project in coordination with South west and Jubaland States. The project will be monitored by Project Steering Committee (PSC) comprising the Ministry of Energy and Water Resources FGS, South West and Jubaland, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Health (FGS), and Ministry of Planning and International Cooperation, Ministry of Women and Gender to ensure alignment and compliance with FGS and donor coordination policies. The PSC will ensure that the needs of water and sanitation users are sufficiently reflected in the Project design as well as in selection of priority interventions.
Under the overall supervision of Head, Operations & Humanitarian Response, under the direct supervision of Project Manager (WASH & Shelter) in close collaboration and consultation with Ministry of water and energy of South West and Jubaland states, Project steering committee as well as other units, the incumbent will provide administrative support, supervision of the project implementation and monitoring/ tracking the financial management.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Ensure timely and accurate financial reporting and documentation of all programme activities this includes both projectization. Consolidate and submit monthly, quarterly, midyear and annual donor reports, contribute inputs to project documents, visibilities as well to all internal and external audit.
Financial management of projects in line with internal and donor requirements. Ensuring that the budget lines are respected and monitor burn rates for the effective use of the funds.
Provide inputs to the WASH weekly, monthly, and quarterly and annual reports to the project management and steering committee.
Provide inputs for project implementation activities, donor reports, and other reports produced by the office.
Ensure timely submission of narrative and financial reports from partners including implementing partners and vendors as per the agreements.
Support procurement of goods and services for activities if requested, in accordance with the IOM procurement guidelines.
Provide guidance and coordinate with the implementing partners and service providers to ensure procurement of the WASH supplies and payment are timely delivered including follow-up and tracking.
Compile data on project activities for internal and external reports of IOM, clarifying outputs, achievements, challenges, corrective measures taken as well as future plans.
Follow up of Implementing partner payments including preparing submitting and controlling and tracking in close collaboration with field team.
Follow up with field team and finance unit to ensure preparation and liquidation Imprest/petty cash are done according procedures and timely manner.
Provide regular updates and correspondence to the project Manager and IOM WASH team on the WASH financial expenditure and advice in close collaboration and coordination with finance and procurement unit.
Facilitate that all the WASH projects meet their intended scope, time, quality and budget. Notify in a timely manner of any change request pertinent and inform of any delay or workaround required for timely completion of activities.
Monitor inputs, field activities, and find solutions to obstacles and provide utilization reports for specific activities for donor report.
Prepare and Manage MoUs / contracts with service providers and implementing partners. Work closely with the administrative units of IOM to ensure adequate contracts management, close out procedures and final payments to the contractors.
Implement and monitor procurement and ensuring that the resources are properly utilizing effectively to provide services to the beneficiaries.
Ensure there’s effective and active communication with all the relevant stakeholders. Prepare and submit regular progress reports to the Programme Manager (WASH) indicating progress, constrains and requirements for procurement and financial of the projects across Somalia.
In coordination with the Programme Manager/Coordinator (WASH), ensure that any needed operational agreement or authorization are obtained.
Participate other activities related to the project as deemed by management and represent WASH unit in close collaboration and coordination with other WASH staff members.
Assist in resource mobilization for WASH by identifying funding opportunities in general and budgeting.
Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economy Management, Social Science, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
· No years of working experience with master’s degree or higher is required.
· Professional experience in financial administration, control procedures, and procurement process;
· Experience in project management and implementation and monitoring programme activities:
· Experience in liaising with government and local authorities, in particular regional states;
· Experience working with accounting and procurement system, an advantage.
· Experience in IOM administrative and financial management, budget monitoring, cash management and internal control procedures, an advantage;
· Experience working in an international organization and knowledge of the UN is essential.
· Good, communication, reporting and negotiation skills;
· Excellent monitoring skill; Managerial Skill; Organizational Skill; Accuracy;
· Ability to work with limited supervision.
· Ability to multi-task and delivers on set objectives and timelines in hardship situations;
· Experience in the usage of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and data analysis.
Fluency in English and Somali is advantageous.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2*
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
· Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
· Empowering others and building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
· Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Special Vacancy Notice Number (SVN No.), Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: firstname.lastname@example.org**
From 18.01.2021 to 31.01.2021
Apply to Job