Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Senior Officer
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
About the European Climate Foundation
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was established in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help Europe foster the development of a low-carbon society and play an even stronger international leadership role to mitigate climate change. The foundation works through several sectoral, cross-cutting and regional initiatives and collaborates with a wide network of partners to advance progress towards this shared goal.
The ECF team is a highly dynamic group of individuals, combining ambition and passion with a rigorous, results-oriented and analytic approach to the work. The ECF’s culture is one of intensity, enthusiasm and mutual support.
About the role
As MEL Senior officer, you will be part of the Monitoring, Evaluations and Learning (MEL) team and report to the Evaluation Manager.
The ECF’s MEL Team is part of the Operations unit of the foundation. Its role is to act as a centre of the strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation processes and to play an active role in helping create evidence base investment and prioritisation of work at EU and national level. Team members deliver strategic advice to the ECF management team and support for strategic decision making by developing M&E frameworks to assess ECF programmes and projects, identify greatest impact opportunities and priorities and progress towards ECF strategic objectives. It also supports ECF’s programmes and its grantees to enable effective planning, monitoring and evaluation processes.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone with an interest to roll out of a comprehensive M&E system and support data analysis for and with the team of a major philanthropic organisation. It offers a chance to develop competence in a range of operational functions needed to support a dynamic, international team. The role suits a candidate with experience in M&E, data collection, analytics and reporting, and/or project management.
Working as part of a small team, and in close collaboration with other operations roles, the MEL Senior Officer will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Support the continuous development and roll out of the ECF’s Strategic multi-level M&E Framework.
- Work closely with PARL and support programme teams to ensure timely and high quality for data collected (PARL is the ECF Planning - Assessment - Reporting and Learning platform used by ECF programmes to articulate their theory of change into logic models, and to monitor their progress against their objectives – for more information: https://parl.online/information ).
- Identifying meaningful KPIs and metrics with quantitative and qualitative data sources to underpin projects, programmes and strategy.
- Conduct data analysis in relation with specific projects, to support the MEL team in identifying learning points and strategic priorities for effective interventions.
- Support and be directly involved in the grant revision, data quality and validation processes (e.g. type A/type B, KPI matrix, Evaluation table)
- Provide and communicate evidence and insights verbally and in writing, including developing data visualizations for strategy and planning processes.
- Support the preparation of regular and ad hoc reports and Board reports, to ensure these are produced to a high standard and in a timely fashion.
- Act as proficient user for the IT systems used by the team (i.e. PARL, FLUXX) ensuring their continuous improvement and that are deployed appropriately to optimise the efficiency and effectiveness of programme and grant management, data collection and analysis, and trouble- shoot issues if they arise.
- Work closely with members of the Operations teams to coordinate the due diligence processes from an M&E perspective and support capacity development of grantees and partners.
- Coordinate organisation of internal and external trainings for programme teams’ capacity building process;
- Provide support to colleagues, as required and appropriate, to help build skills, confidence and capability in MEL processes or procedures.
- Other related tasks as may be required.
Experience and competencies
- A genuine interest in the mission and values of the organisation
- A good knowledge of M&E frameworks, including logic models, Theory of Change, KPIs, qualitative and quantitative indicators
- Excellent analytical skills, with the capacity to analyse data and indicators coming from multiple sources, both qualitative and quantitative and create visual representations
- Good presentation skills and experience in working with and preferably training others in software and database applications for data collection, analytics and reporting; spreadsheet software (e.g. Excel, Stata, SPSS) data visualization software (e.g. Tableau, Power BI), social analytics and media monitoring software (e.g. Meltwater)
- Excellent organisational and time management skills, with a proven ability to prioritise tasks
- Ability to understand and meet the requirements of various stakeholders including the wider programme team
- Good sense of judgement and discretion
- Excellent attention to detail
- A team player and a natural collaborator with a passion for excellence
- Willingness and ability to travel from time to time
- The disposition to work with colleagues in a high-trust community, and a commitment to an inclusive and empowering approach, a spirit of generosity and mutual support
- The versatile and adaptable skills necessary to flourish in a fast-paced and wide-ranging work environment
- Excellent communication and English language skills, both written and verbal; knowledge of other languages an asset.
What we offer
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with ambition and a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A one-year full-time staff contract (with possibility to extend).
Brussels or The Hague
As soon as possible.
How to apply:
How to apply
Please upload your CV and cover letter (both in English) at this link:
Candidates need to be in the possession of a work permit for the work location in case applicable.
All applications will be treated confidentially. We will store your information in our internal database unless you specifically request otherwise.
Apply to Job