Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) Technical Advisor
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Position: Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) Technical Advisor
Location: Juba, South Sudan, with at least 60% travel in country
Duration: 12 months
Reports to: Deputy Country Director, Programs
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
RI believes that gender equality is a basic right for all people, and it is critical to directly address gender-based discrimination and promote gender equality in order to ensure sustainable development.
The MHPSS Technical advisor will be part of Relief International’s South Sudan health team. This is a new position working in a new-subsector for Relief International South Sudan. The MHPSS Technical Advisor will spend at least 85% of their time delivering technical assistance in-person and remotely to country program colleagues in the field, and coordinating mental health and psychosocial support within the health programmes and in collaboration with other units such as the GBV prevention and response team.
This is a primarily field facing position with the central responsibility focused on program quality. The remaining 15% of their time is spent on influence, advocacy, research, programme development (proposal writing).
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
The MHPSS Technical Advisors’ specific responsibilities are as follows:
Building technical capacity of country program staff to ensure ongoing program quality and innovation (50%):
· Assist in hiring and mentoring MHPSS and other program staff (e.g. health and protection team)
· Provide technical support to MHPSS country program staff
· Establish and/or strengthen with country program MHPSS capacity building plans and MHPSS monitoring and evaluation standards
· Develop and conduct technical MHPSS training and ongoing technical coaching for country program staff
· Share cross-context learning with RI departments including health and protection
Project delivery support (35%):
· Work with country program colleagues to help analyze data to inform course correction as-needed
· Review and share program-specific tools/resources/curricula and work with technical unit specialists to contextualize and adapt global and country-specific materials
· •Coordinate and plan with county coordinators and primary health care technical advisors the technical assistance country programs receive.
· Coordinate with other unit TA’s as per country programs needs and requests
Engaging in program development and program design (10%):
· Support country program staff to design programs and projects,
· Review technical quality of proposals, including review of technical MHPSS strategies, interventions and activities and ensuring alignment to project outcomes
· When necessary, write technical narratives of proposals
· Provide input on budgets required for project delivery
· Represent Relief International at donor meetings, inter-agency working groups, and various global/regional fora as assigned by the supervisor.
· Advanced degree in psychology, mental health nursing, or related discipline,
· Minimum of 5 years’ experience in mental health and psychosocial programming with significant experience in developing countries and in disaster/humanitarian crisis contexts; Previous experience in hardship posting preferred
· Proven track record in developing strategies, designing programs, and conducting training and providing technical assistance in MHPSS
· Previous experience working with GBV survivors preferred
· Demonstratable experience with mhGAP, IASC Guidelines, community-based mental health initiatives, and Psychological First Aid
· Fluency in English (written and spoken) required
· Willingness to travel and work in remote areas, with very limited services and amenities
· Excellent communication skills
· Demonstratable cultural sensitivity competencies
· Sense of humor and willingness to work as part of a team
· Able to work collaboratively across multiple teams and stakeholders
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.**
· Transparency and Accountability
· Agility and Innovation
Living Conditions/Environmental Conditions
This position is based in Juba, South Sudan and requires up to (60%) travel to field office locations within the country, and offers an opportunity to join a diverse and open workplace, with a team committed to inclusion, innovation, and personal development. We also offer:
· Self-contained living accommodation (own bedroom, kitchenette and sitting area) in a very safe shared compound in Juba.
· 6-week R&R cycle with a financial contribution towards the R&R costs
· Very competitive compensation, Danger Pay and daily post differential among other benefits
· Access to RI’s award-winning learning management system with a wide menu of training resources, and internal/external training courses. **
How to Apply
Interested candidates are required to submit a detailed CV and cover letter by February 27th, 2021. We greatly appreciate your interest in working with RI, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Due to the critical nature of this assignment, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and candidates will be interviewed prior to the closing date that may appear on any of the job boards where this vacancy is posted.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.**
How to apply:
Interested applicants please follow this link to apply;
Apply to Job