INTERNATIONAL TECHNICAL MANAGER
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
All Hands and Hearts is a disaster relief nonprofit. This position requires travel to our communal program bases which are located in the communities we serve. Strict controls will be maintained to promote health and safety at all times, however, there is potential for exposure to SARS-CoV-2 virus.
A versatile position within a dynamic nonprofit that provides relief to survivors of natural disasters. The position is full-time and is responsible for providing construction support and advice to all AHAH programs.
- Reports to: Director of International Operations
- Roles reporting to position: Construction Managers will report in dotted line manner, with the primary reporting responsibility to the appropriate line manager
- Approximate number of reports N/A
This role is expected to offer a Medium Level of exposure risk, according to the OSHA Classification of Risk of Worker Exposure to SARS-CoV-2.
- Work with the Operations and Health, Safety and Security departments to develop and implement safety standards and protocols in response to COVID-19.
- Follow national, regional and local regulations in addition to the AHAH COVID-19 guidelines.
- If you feel unwell, experience any symptoms, or are aware that you have been in close contact with a lab certified case of COVID-19 within the last 14 days you should isolate immediately and notify your manager.
- Actively participate in ongoing risk assessment.
- Understand the risk of COVID-19 to you as an individual and notify your manager or the HR department if you have any concerns.
- Accept that risk cannot be removed from this situation.
- Give honest feedback.
- Assist projects globally with technical guidance on construction related activities. This will range from pre-construction in Program Development to active construction programs.
- Provide guidance to the Project Managers on the scope of work, construction techniques, material procurement and worksite management.
- Assess project deliverables for constructability to provide input that will flag potential risks or improve construction efficiency.
- Provide clear and transparent communication with construction teams to ensure all stakeholders are aware of advice and guidance. Any issues that will significantly impact timeline or budget must be communicated to International Operations Management.
- Support with the recruitment and training for all Project Managers (PM) and Program Development Managers to ensure that all PM's fully understand and are proficient in completing all required documentation.
- Work with the Senior Technical Advisor to assist Program Managers and Program Development Managers in identifying external resources on an as-needed basis, specifically for specialist technical expertise.
- Attend fortnightly construction calls for eachInternational Program and tri-weekly Program Development Team call to offer to support teams and share best practices.
- Works in coordination with AHAH's Security Lead to develop construction safety standards and training needs of construction staff.
- Works in coordination with AHAH’s Senior Technical Advisor to ensure all construction designs meet the AHAH standard of disaster resilience and advocate for consistent construction best practice across Recovery programs; embracing the Build Back Better principles to ensure that construction techniques comply with appropriate building codes and are up to the highest standards.
- Support the creation of SOP's to develop best construction practice.
- Travel to program, upon request, to advise the program team on technical solutions to the challenges they have presented.
- Identify training needs and professional development opportunities for on-program staff
- Is this position responsible for the operating budget of the associated department? No
- Does this position have any other financial responsibilities? Support teams to develop, monitor and deliver construction budgets
Education Requires a bachelor's degree in Building Science, Civil/Structural Engineering, or equivalent technical related field.
Related Experience Must have a minimum of 2-year experience working for All Hands and Hearts, or another Disaster Response organization. Minimum of 10 years professional construction experience. Experience in construction project management. Previous international travel experience, preferably in developing countries.
Special Competencies/Certifications Good written and oral communication skills and confident working with Google Suite, Microsoft Office. Must be confident working with design software, such as AutoCAD/Revit and MS Project. Applicant needs to be well organized and have a flexible approach to managing multiple tasks and prioritizing them appropriately. Strong leadership skills with a proactive approach to identifying and solving problems. The individual is able to manage a large workload and perform in a fast-paced environment. Familiarity of international humanitarian standards including Sphere and HAP.
Work Environment/Conditions Based remotely in home office. Frequent global travel required (expectation of 60% or more)
All Hands and Hearts is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic.
How to apply:
Please apply via our website.
Apply to Job